My car has outstanding finance.. Help i was unaware when i purchased it

Guddu05
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4449 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had recently purchased my car from glasgow but i live in london and i did all the regular checks to ensure the person really did own the car..

I have the receipt of sale, the log book in my name, and have now recieved a letter from a company stating that the car is their legal property

and the previous owner should not have sold the car to me.

They have sent me a questionnaire?

I dont understand how this is possible as i saw those add on tv and sent a text to get the vehicle checked over

and it only showed the car as cat d and once i did this check i spoke to the seller and got the price reduced as it was not worth the price i was paying.

To be on the safe side i also took down his driving license number and took a copy of his license and also contacted dvla to confirm he was the owner of the car.

And the dvla confirmed on the phone that the vehicle was registered under this person.

I repeatedly asked that even on the phone and when we met in person if the car had any other records such as accidental or hpi and the seller said no, he owns the car.

What do i do now?

Do i send this questionnaire back?

I am thinking of going to my citizen advice burea on monday as i paid a lot of money and i dont want to lose it all as i have been also repairing the car my self

for over 2 months as it had quiet few problems.

It is still in my drive on jack stands..

. Please help!!

If yuo bought the car in good faith then the finnce company are NOT the legal owners, you are: you will get good tite to the car.

You can fill in their questionaire if you want to but I'm certain yuo have no legal obligation to do so.

I would just send them a copy of the bill of sale together with a covering explanatory letter stating that yuo bought the car in good faith from Mr XXXX of XXX street, glasgow and that their argument is with him as he has committed fraud by selling it and you have done nothing wrong.

But relax, you WILL ultimately get good title to the car.

Thois phone checks where yuo text the reg etc are rubbish, that's why hPi is £30 and the text ones are £3.. you get what you pay for.

Who is the name of the company?

I bought the car from scotland but this company address is from london, and their letter doesnt look professional. I think it says c collections, I tried looking them up on website and coming up as under construction

OP.. no you did a text check which only shows stolen / written off etc, not finance.

If ther website is 'under construction' they sound like a mickey mouse outfit to me so I'd be wary about responding.

Its no good saynig yuo are the registered keeper, it says in BIG LETTERS on the V5 that the RK is not necessarily the legal owner.

If you bought the car in good faith then you own it and will ultimately get good title to it, period.

All I would send them is a copy of the sales receipt shownig that you bought the car from the person that owes the finance together with a covering letter stating that their argument is with him and not you and you would like clear legal title to the car as allowed under the law.

OP.. no you did a text check which only shows stolen / written off etc, not finance.

If ther website is 'under construction' they sound like a mickey mouse outfit to me so I'd be wary about responding.

Its no good saynig yuo are the registered keeper, it says in BIG LETTERS on the V5 that the RK is not necessarily the legal owner.

If you bought the car in good faith then you own it and will ultimately get good title to it, period.

All I would send them is a copy of the sales receipt shownig that you bought the car from the person that owes the finance together with a covering letter stating that their argument is with him and not you and you would like clear legal title to the car as allowed under the law.

At the moment we are not sure if ti is a legit company or not. Could be that a logbook loan was taken out against the car by a previous owner. I wouldn't send them any info at present until I had established their credentials.

About ten yrs ago, I had the same problem, I lost the car and my money.

Has the law changed?

All I ask is to be treated fairly and lawfully.

About ten yrs ago, I had the same problem, I lost the car and my money.

Has the law changed?

Nope. In your case it must have been either a 'log book loan' or the car was on a personal lease agreement and not an ordinary finance agreement.

With a logbook loan the company giving the loan take title to the car.

With a personal lease, title can never pass to the leasee unless/ until a balloon payment is made at the end of the lease. If title cannot pass, it cannot be assigned to someone else.

I know that in theory you are only a 'hirer' when the vehicle is subject to an HP agreement, but there is no doubt about it that as long as yuo buy the car in good faith and have a sales receipt etc from the seller then you will ultimately get good title to it.

Rambo's comment is scaring me but with Oddjob's comments seems some hope. Do you think I should try contacting the number of the letter to establish and gain more details as it says the car has been passed to them from someone else? so maybe another company possibly passed info to them and they are trying to recover the cost. The letter is asking for the question answers to help them establish how someone managed to sell the car to me? or is that one of their tricks getting me to give them information

thank you everyone who is helping me, I appreciate your help

I ve just done those proper hpi check and ye the car is showing as outstanding finance :( even though the letter seems dodgy .. i guess am definately gonna have to reply to their letter now somehow