• Tweets

• The case against the US-based ride-hailing giant is being brought on behalf of over 10,800 drivers.View the full article
    • I have just read the smaller print on their signs. It says that you can pay at the end of your parking session. given that you have ten minutes grace period the 35 seconds could easily have been taken up with walking back to your car, switching on the engine and then driving out. Even in my younger days when I used to regularly exceed speed limits, I doubt I could have done that in 35 seconds even when I  had a TR5.
    • Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4419 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It was a large sprinter van ... But the as per previous posts most of the items on levy are invalid.

So all they could of attempted to take was a vacum cleaner and laptop...i believe the only valid items on the levy.

In which case it should be returned Nullo Bono, insufficient goods.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just recieved letter from council!..

Basicaly saying they dont intervene and the debt was passed correctly to bristow so we have to deal with them!

At the bottom of the letter it says bristow will be advised of any direct payments to the council.??

What do they mean by that?

Also they have mentioned that they cant take you to court for non payment but the council can commence commital proceedings!! Surley they cant if we keep paying them direct?

Just recieved letter from council!..

Basicaly saying they dont intervene and the debt was passed correctly to bristow so we have to deal with them!

At the bottom of the letter it says bristow will be advised of any direct payments to the council.??

What do they mean by that?

Also they have mentioned that they cant take you to court for non payment but the council can commence commital proceedings!! Surley they cant if we keep paying them direct?

No the council cannot have you committed to prison, for paying them direct rather than their agent Bristow &stupor, for whom they are 100% responsible, if they went for committal, I think your MP would be most interested, and the court would kick their backsides imho

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Ok thank you will keep paying the council!

They mentioned that i would have to query the levy with bristow! And the vehicle on finance that i made them aware of!.. I dont want to queru anything with bristow and sutor! I was making the council aware that they need to let bailiffs know that the vehicle is exempt from being clamped/levied!

They have made me feel like i have made the situation worse now :(

Ok thank you will keep paying the council!

They mentioned that i would have to query the levy with bristow! And the vehicle on finance that i made them aware of!.. I dont want to queru anything with bristow and sutor! I was making the council aware that they need to let bailiffs know that the vehicle is exempt from being clamped/levied!

They have made me feel like i have made the situation worse now :(

You will have to request a fee breakdown if you haven't already, so that they provide a list of everything they have charged for and when, and they should give youa list of what is on the levy, they must do this irrespective of whether you pay the council or not.

I have a breakdown and all the stuff listed on the levy.

This is what i wrote to the council about .

That the levy was not right..and charges etc.

But they seem to have just fobbed me of saying i have to query it with bristow and they cant intervene!

Think i have written the breakdown somwhere on this thread.(page 3). Feell like they are going to turn up on purpose now Just to levy on a car i have made them aware of.I gave council vehicle reg and told them to make sure bristow are aware that this car is on finance..feeling like i made a mistake now.. :0

• 2 weeks later...

Ok i wrote council and got following response from bristow!!!

We have been forwarded your below email via our clients, London Borough of Hillingdon Council, who have asked us to respond directly to you in relation to the matters which concern us.

Firstly, we would therefore like to explain that we have been instructed by the council to collect unpaid council tax arrears from you.* A Liability Order has been issued in joint names in court.* The law directs us as Certificated Bailiffs to levy distress and remove your goods to be sold at public auction.* There is no legal requirement for us to make an agreement with you nor give you time to pay, however, we may do so in some instances in accordance with the guidelines set for us by the council.

You claim that in October 2011, when the bailiff levied distress the bailiff gained access into your home after telling you he would call the police or get a locksmith if you did not.* Our records indicate that peaceable access was gained by both of you and we refute the accusation made.* We would furthermore, question why this claim was not made following the visit?

It is important to note that even if the bailiff had gained access via deceptive means, this would not render the levy incorrect as you claim. Although we do not believe the bailiff did act in the way you describe, the case of R v Backhouse (1771), which is quoted by the John Kruse in his book The Law of Seizure of Goods: Debtors Rights and Remedies, suggests that if a bailiff did gain access by deception it would not invalidate the distress.

So either way, the levy remains correct and legal.

Moving on to the claims that some items should be exempt or do not belong to you, we have the following comments to make:

So far to date, it does not appear that we have seen any evidence to substantiate any claim that you do not own some of the items seized, if this is the case, you will need to provide evidence for us to consider further.* As for the exemption of items, this is merely your interpretation of the regulations, they do not say chairs and tables should not be seized or removed.* In the event the bailiff returned to remove goods, he would make the decision at this point what “items of equipment are necessary for satisfying the BASIC domestic needs of the debtor and his family”.

Again, we consider the levy to be correct and legal. *

With regard to us taking you to court we are also confused by this comment.* You have already been taken to court and a Liability Order issued against you.* The bailiff in question cannot recall discussing court with you and we are sorry for any confusion which may have been caused.* The bailiff was there for the balance in full or to remove goods and was correct to explain this.*

We hope that the above now answers your concerns.* We would request that you contact us immediately to discuss your proposals for repayment of the outstanding amount of £6488.74.

What should i do next???

Ok i wrote to the council and as they are sooo helpfull!!! They forwarded my email to bristow to deal with!!

I wrote the following and the response is below!

I really dont know what to do now!

I am writing to complain about the conduct of YOUR agent Bristow and Sutor.

Due to financial difficulties we were unable to to pay £200 to bristow and sutor end of January as per there agreement.

We also felt vunerable as we knew the £200* agreement was coming to an end and we were going to be asked to put the payments up.

Due to this we felt we should pay what we could afford direct to yourselves.

I did attempt to speak to someone on the phone about this a couple a weeks ago on the hillingdon ctax phone number but was alomost reduced to tears by a very rude lady who said it is nothing to do with us you will have to deal with the bailiffs direct! She also said if i dont pay they will break into your house! You will be in trouble!!

Unfortunatly i did not get her name.

As i was so distressed during the call.

I have on severel occasions tried to contact yourselves and again told its nothing to do with yourselves.

So i made a payment of £50 online direct to council. I dont dispute the bill I* just could not afford to pay £200 and felt to intimidated to approach bristow and sutor as they had already said i would have no choice but to pay.

Most importantly the reason we have been struggling and paying £200 was because we were under the impression our goods could be taken on most occasions we had to borrow money to pay this agreement which got us into further financial difficulties.We are now in a debt management plan to get this resolved.

In oct 2010 we had a visit from Bristow and were told if we did not let them in they would call the police or get locksmiths.We now understand this to be a verbal threat as the bailiff did NOT have the right to enter the property but unfortunatly we let him in.

He then proceeded to levy on goods ..we have also since found the levy to be invalid as:

1-goods listed are not the value of the debt.

2-dvds listed belong to my 4yr old daughter(childrens items are exempt)

3-sofas (this would of left us with no seating)

4-step ladder -not my property it belongs to a family member for his business-again exempt

5-coffee table again exempt as this would leave us without something to eat on as there are no other tables.

6-tv -listed without the remote-this makes it of no value.

There are items listed that are not exempt we do not dispute that but they would be of insufficient value.

To date we have paid bristow and sutor a total of £2052.00.

Also this amount is worth more than the amount of goods listed.

Today (13/02/12)we had a visit from 2 bailiffs.

Who informed us we have breached the contract and that this visit has added fees of £205.00.

They then told my husband that he would have to pay full amount or pay them what we have missed.

My husband informed them we are unable to do this and that we have paid the council direct.

The bailiff then proceeded to tell my husband thats fine you can explain to the judge why you think you are exempt from paying council tax!

We have never said we are exempt??

We have never disputed the bill?

We are not saying we will NOT pay!

So please could someone clarify why bristow and sutor are threatning us with court? I was under the impression a bailiff does not have the power to do this? As i understand this is down to the council themselves??

We would like you contact Bristow and sutor and ask them to refrain from visiting our property again as this caused a considerable amount of stress to my husband who works nights and was with my 4yr old daughter whilst the bailiff was threating him and making him feel vunerable.

Please note WE ARE NOT disputing the debt we want to pay it!

We just need to come to an affordable payment without the threating behaviour of bailiffs! If need be we will fill out an expenses form with our incomings and outgoings.

In the mean time we will continue to pay yourselves online.

Please also note we are not disputing the bristow and sutor fees as long as we are given a correct* breakdown of exactly what the fees are.

****PLEASE ALSO NOTE WE HAVE A VEHICLE ON THE DRIVE WHICH IS CURRENTLY UNDER A* FINANCE AGREEMENT**** vehicle reg xxxxxxx

this is also exempt from being levied/clamped please advise bristow and sutor of this as we are well aware of the tactics bailiffs use to try and get there money.and we have now informed yourselves to inform your agent.

We can fwd paperwork to show this if needed.

As previously mentioned we are NOT in any way disputing the council tax debt .

And WILL pay but need to come to an affordable agreement with yourselves.

I would also like to point out that unless this is resolved I will be taking the matter further as i understand you (the council) can be held fully responsible for the actions of bristow and sutor and CAN ask them to withdraw at anytime.

As everytime I have tried to resolve this on the phone I have been fobbed of with "nothing to do with us deal with the bailiffs"!

Obviously I want to get this resolved without having to make further official complaints .

Bristows answer!!

We have been forwarded your below email via our clients, London Borough of Hillingdon Council, who have asked us to respond directly to you in relation to the matters which concern us.

Firstly, we would therefore like to explain that we have been instructed by the council to collect unpaid council tax arrears from you.* A Liability Order has been issued in joint names in court.* The law directs us as Certificated Bailiffs to levy distress and remove your goods to be sold at public auction.* There is no legal requirement for us to make an agreement with you nor give you time to pay, however, we may do so in some instances in accordance with the guidelines set for us by the council.

You claim that in October 2011, when the bailiff levied distress the bailiff gained access into your home after telling you he would call the police or get a locksmith if you did not.* Our records indicate that peaceable access was gained by both of you and we refute the accusation made.* We would furthermore, question why this claim was not made following the visit?

It is important to note that even if the bailiff had gained access via deceptive means, this would not render the levy incorrect as you claim. Although we do not believe the bailiff did act in the way you describe, the case of R v Backhouse (1771), which is quoted by the John Kruse in his book The Law of Seizure of Goods: Debtors Rights and Remedies, suggests that if a bailiff did gain access by deception it would not invalidate the distress.

So either way, the levy remains correct and legal.

Moving on to the claims that some items should be exempt or do not belong to you, we have the following comments to make:

So far to date, it does not appear that we have seen any evidence to substantiate any claim that you do not own some of the items seized, if this is the case, you will need to provide evidence for us to consider further.* As for the exemption of items, this is merely your interpretation of the regulations, they do not say chairs and tables should not be seized or removed.* In the event the bailiff returned to remove goods, he would make the decision at this point what “items of equipment are necessary for satisfying the BASIC domestic needs of the debtor and his family”.

Again, we consider the levy to be correct and legal. *

With regard to us taking you to court we are also confused by this comment.* You have already been taken to court and a Liability Order issued against you.* The bailiff in question cannot recall discussing court with you and we are sorry for any confusion which may have been caused.* The bailiff was there for the balance in full or to remove goods and was correct to explain this.*

We hope that the above now answers your concerns.* We would request that you contact us immediately to discuss your proposals for repayment of the outstanding amount of £6488.74.

I would be inclined to carry on paying the council direct via their online facility. Cut the bailiff out of the loop completley. Write to the Bailiff company and ask for a breakdown of their fees [you'll find the template letter in many of the threads] I'll guarantee you have been overcharged.If they do turn up at any point do not open the door to them and try and record everything they say. People with more practical advice will be along in a minute. Good luck.

Im panicking because of their response...which they sent yesterday saying levy still stands etc...

Looks like council wont deal with it and passed to bristow!

So should i just keep paying council?.

Sorry i do appreciate all the advice!.

Im just worried. :(

keep paying the council,

Even with a levy (albeit irregular), the bailiffs wouldn't be able to enter your property to remove goods without a court order and, from what I've read on here, that is highly improbable in respect of council tax arrears.

You'll really have to maintain a seige mentality - keep all your windows and doors locked, don't leave anything of value outside and park your car well away from your home. Even though your car is on finance, the bailiffs may try to levy against it. They're pretty thick-skinned - no amount of telling will persuade them that you know better than them. Don't worry, they can't levy on a vehicle on finance because technically it doesn't belong to you until the final payment has been made. And, if they do, that can be dealt with too.

This has to become your mantra! Don't let them in. There is no law that says you have to deal with them. Just keep a record of any future visits and try to video them in case you need to make a formal complaint to the council at a later stage.

Just keep on paying the council direct in respect of your arrears and don't forget to keep your current council tax up to date. The council can't refuse your payments. I've noticed you've already paid them. If you pay them weekly, you'll very quickly build up a record of regular payments and this will stand in your favour.

Knowledge is power and you have to empower yourself.

I know it's easier said than done BUT really, most of us have been there and we've survived to tell the tale. The bailiffs rely on you being weak and taking their threats seriously, so you have to keep strong.

Just try and keep things in perspective.

We're all here to help.

Impecunious! :-)

That is because the Council haven't a clue and pass it to their whiter than white contractors who will obviously find no fault with what has happened. Nothing with Bailiffs happens overnight and you have to be prepared for the long haul with plenty of letter writing back & forth. The Council will no doubt back themselves into a corner when they apparently condone all the Bailiffs action & charges, then when the iron is hot you strike at the very top and see if they will eat humble pie. If they don't then off to the LGO.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They have just visited again!! Left a letter through door saying notice of seizure!

They have put down 3 cars 2 parked on drive one that belongs to my father in law! One on finance and one parked outside which belongs to my neighbour!

Should i contact them now?

So stressed! I have already paid council this month.

Issue a formal complaint stressing you will be looking to escalate to the Local Government Ombudsman if you have no joy, as they have yet again visited and carried out an irregular levy on third party vehicles/.

You could indicate in a letter your intention to initiate a regulation 46 complaint at the magistrates court with the council as defendant, as their agent, for who they are wholly liable has carried out another invalid levy, and you are aggrieved by it.

Edited by brassnecked

Thankyou! How do i go about this?

Do i need to contact bristow first as am worried they will come back soon to clamp!. :(

Tell B&S that the cars are all third party, and the levy is invalid, they will spout garbage and rant but you will have to send another Formal complaint to the council as a second stage indicating you are going to escalate to the LGO.

hopefullt ploddertom or one of the others will be along soon to highlight options also,

Here is the legislation, and it would appear you contact the court and ask them to issue a summons against the council unde this head, as you are aggrieved by their bailiffs irregular levy on third party items, vis cars, belonging to others, further their insistence that their agent B & S are correct in this action, in spite of the evidence to the contrary, along with their insistence on an impossible level of proof they are asking for regarding ownership.

Appeals in connection with distress46.—(1) A person aggrieved by the levy of, or an attempt to levy, a distress may appeal to a magistrates' court.(2) The appeal shall be instituted by making complaint to a justice of the peace, and requesting the issue of a summons directed to the authority which levied or attempted to levy the distress to appear before the court to answer to the matter by which the person is aggrieved.(3) If the court is satisfied that a levy was irregular, it may order the goods distrained to be discharged if they are in the possession of the authority; and it may by order award compensation in respect of any goods distrained and sold of an amount equal to the amount which, in the opinion of the court, would be awarded by way of special damages in respect of the goods if proceedings were brought in trespass or otherwise in connection with the irregularity under regulation 45(7).(4) If the court is satisfied that an attempted levy was irregular, it may by order require the authority to desist from levying in the manner giving rise to the irregularity.

Edited by brassnecked