insurance asking for evidence car is kept at my address, why?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4234 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

insurance is asking for evidence from me like v5, log book, bills that my car is kept at the address I have said it is kept overnight which it is (my flat)

my correspondence address is my address where i live with my sister, but i park the car up at my flat (cheaper insurance, than the address of my sister where i am living) and its , rented out to students so i moved in with my sister

the letter says i have 28 days to respond or my insurance will be void

surely the car can be parked at a different address to that in the log book and v5 and you can have your correspondence sent to a different address, i cant see what the problem is

The problem is that you have 'registered' your parking location with the Insurance company but are 'living' (corrospondance) at another location. If you think about it there is a lot of insurance abuse that can occur with that happening ( ie live in the middle of a high crime area in london but insure your car in a sleepy village in kent, insurance rates can differ between the two as you have already indicated ) .

This may well be just an auto letter generated on the back of the address diference without any real person looking at the actual circumstances ( reading between the lines you are within walking distance?)

Not a reason to panic or get upset yet, explain your circumstances , even show evidence of ownership of the flat ( if you think that will help) and get back to this site as necessary

With all due deference to grahamengineering I had almost the same circumstances but I lived in a flat but rented a Garrage from an nearby set of flats. Because i kept my car in a garage and declared it as such the insurance was lower. Addmitidly this was picked up when I initialy applied for insurance but this was fully accepted off the back of a copy of the rental agrement.

As to why they are only writing now? dunno but you gonna have to find out the problem at some stage

The insurance co are only interested in where the car actually 'lives' (kept). This may not necessarilly be where the car is registered to (what is on the V5).

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

The insurance company is tesco, I have been with them 2 years and had my renewal in dec 2011, and just 6 weeks after doing that they send me a letter asking me to provide evidence my car is parked at the address I say it is (my flat which is rented)

i have moved in with my sister and the car is parked out my sisters house, my flat address is cheaper but since i have tenants i cant park in the drive way, so park at my sisters

why is tesco asking me to provide a bank statement which shows my flats address, the log book, my driving licence - all these have my sisters address as i have all my correspondece sent to my sisters house as my flat is rented out and i dont want the lodgers to open my post up

what can i do, i'm worried they have given me 2 weeks to reply or they will void my insurance

The insurance co are only interested in where the car actually 'lives' (kept). This may not necessarilly be where the car is registered to (what is on the V5).

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Not sure they can demand to see your bank statement. Your log book isn't proof of where the car is kept so that's pretty useless to them. They may accept the address on your driving licence though as that is the address which would be regarded as where you live. Normally insurers rely on your decleration to where the car is normally kept. Not sure why they feel the need to persue you over this. Having said that, if you are keeping the car at a location other that what the insuers have been told then you will have problems if the car is stolen from that location.

Please Note

If you dont think you are doing anything wrong then you probably arn't. Give them a call and be upfront about it. You can tell them that due to these circumstances the 'proof' they are asking for doesnt mean anything and talk through as to what would be acceptable ( especialy with your corrospondence at your sisters). Bering worried just 'because' isnt gonna resolve this with them.

• 7 months later...

Hi Layla, how did you resolve this?

The insurance company is tesco, I have been with them 2 years and had my renewal in dec 2011, and just 6 weeks after doing that they send me a letter asking me to provide evidence my car is parked at the address I say it is (my flat which is rented)

i have moved in with my sister and the car is parked out my sisters house, my flat address is cheaper but since i have tenants i cant park in the drive way, so park at my sisters

why is tesco asking me to provide a bank statement which shows my flats address, the log book, my driving licence - all these have my sisters address as i have all my correspondece sent to my sisters house as my flat is rented out and i dont want the lodgers to open my post up

what can i do, i'm worried they have given me 2 weeks to reply or they will void my insurance

• 2 weeks later...