style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4176 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just returned to work after 9 months on the sick, starved back to work might be a better description. During the deep freeze at the start of 2011, I slipped on the ice and fell on my shoulder, banging my head at the same time, the latter blow causing me the most discomfort.

After 2 months the pain in my shoulder became worse, causing sleep problems, inflammation and inability to raise my arms above my head. Gabapentin and Tramadol being prescribed, putting me in lala land.

I then embarked on a course of physiotherapy, steroid injections, accupuncture and regular doctor appointments along with meetings with an orthopaedic surgeon, after 6 months it was decided that only surgery would resolve the problem. The operation cleared up the problem along with physio and I have now returned to work.

When my company sick pay was due to end I was referred to UNUM and a form was received from them, almost identical to the one issued by the DWP.

Anyway result was that I was turned down for any of their benefits, and on appeal this has once again been declined.

I am now appealing again against their decision, and having read various forums about them, I am in for a battle.

Don\'t let the B**tards grind you down

Hello there.

Yes, Unum play hard ball. If you haven't already, you need to read up on their website about how they treat claims. If you can, find anything in writing that supports your claim and use it against them. From memory, their website Employers' section was more informative than the Employee part last time I looked at it.

There's always the fos threat, but that will be long-winded if you have to carry it out.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

And the question is:- How do you get UNUM to pay out?

When I spoke to my HR department, they basically said that UNUM considered that I was fit to attend work, this was on Doctor's reports that were 2 months out of date, they also said that even if I appealed there would be little chance of them reversing their decision.

HR advised that if I was off with something that could be cured UNUM were unlikely to pay out.

Still waiting on letter regarding the appeal.

And the question is:- How do you get UNUM to pay out?

As I said earlier, you need to do a lot of homework and see if you can use their rules against them. HR are not always very good at arguing this sort of thing, sometimes you can do better yourself.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

• 1 month later...

Symptoms were that I could not lift my arms above my head and could not lift heavy weights, as I am a Customer Advisor in a Call Centre they said this would not affect my ability to attend work and do my duties.

Luckily I have 4 reports from my companies OCC health department over the 9 month period stating I was unfit for work.

• 9 months later...

Unum is a Fortune 500 company which means it's American and like everything that comes out of America, it's a rip off.

There is no such thing as 'can't appeal', either you haven't read the T&Cs correctly or they are trying it on. What is described above is like a motor insurer selling a policy but saying they wont pay for dents or theft.

a replacement income if you're unable to work due to long-term illness or injury.

What they class as 'long term' must be stipulated otherwise they can change the goalpost as often as they want and to what suits them.

Edited by Conniff