Geordieman -v- Barclaycard **Settled**

geordieman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4434 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to Barclarycard I go...

Spend last year negotiating with all of my creditors when my circumstances changed and what a stressful time that was. Never again. Now it my turn to reclaim for every penny they took from me by way of charges. Every month I will SAR one of them and I’m kicking January off with Barclaycard.

I never check my BC statement I just pay the min amount and file it away. I’ve checked all of 2011 statements, low & behold I’ve had £12 slapped on every month for ‘over limit’. Well that’s odd because my limit on my statements is £0.00, they cancelled my account yonks ago, add a few late fee’s and its already just short of £200 for 2011 alone!

Tomorrow the SAR goes off to see what the previous five years hold as well as any PPI (Ive no idea if it has) and I am setting off with a mind-set of taking my claims all the way to court, I have no problem with that whatsoever.

Regards

Geordie :-)

Current Debt : Approx £LOTS :-( ........................................................................Estimated Debt Free : Nov 2014 :-D

Barclaycard (wife) £1,080.43 Refunded

Barclaycard (me) SAR in progress

Shop Direct (x3 accounts) SAR completed. Claiming £3389.37 charges and £3,500 PPI

MBNA ..........SAR in progress. Charges & PPI from 1996 - present!

Your next ----> Lloyds Mastercard x2 - OPUS - Coop Visa - Monument Visa - RBS Visa - Cap One Visa x2 - Redcats x2

Good stuff, Geordie.

BC had been reporting an incorrect negative balance on my CRA file for years, until I pointed out that I hadn't had an account with them for ages after winnng claims against them and them removing my credit line. Interesting how they can get it so wrong, for so long, and feel that they don't have to compensate you.

I still get statements montly showing a £0.00 balance and credit limit :lol:

Hawaay The Geordieman !!

Keep us updated on progress with this. There are good examples of cases **WON** against BC here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?97-Barclays-BCard-and-Woolwich-successes

BC are paying claims for compound interest at 24.9% so, if your charges go back a few years, you be in for a decent refund.

Make sure you've read the Interest Tutorial, linked in my signature, about claiming Compound Interest in Restitution and use this spreadsheet - http://www.shweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/interestcalcs.xls

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Title changed to correct spelling !!

:wink:

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Cheers Slick

I’ve digested the **Won** threads but I do need to get head around the interest malarkey. Got a few weeks tho` until my SAR comes back

Current Debt : Approx £LOTS :-( ........................................................................Estimated Debt Free : Nov 2014 :-D

Shop Direct (x3 accounts) SAR completed. Claiming £3389.37 charges and £3,500 PPI

Your next ----> Lloyds Mastercard x2 - OPUS - Coop Visa - Monument Visa - RBS Visa - Cap One Visa x2 - Redcats x2

With BC cases, claiming compound interest is pretty straightforward usually, even if you are claiming for charges older than the normal 6 years.

You have to file a court claim but, recently, they have been settling cases without the need to file and serve your court bundles.

However, as with all such cases, you should always assume it may actually go to a final court hearing before a judge.

Other banks may treat claims differently. Eg Capital One will put up stiffer opposition regarding claims over 6 years.

• 1 month later...

Update

As predicted the only charges that have been added was during 2011 when things went pear shaped for me. In total there are only 16 x £12 charges (late/overlimit) which comes to £192.00. The APR on this card is 15.30%.

I’ve filled in the CISheet v101.xls (and interestcalc.xls), added the APR and the total is £213.73. Not a lot I know but if it reduces the current balance then it’s fine by me!

I take it my next step is to send the template claim letter, although I will tweak it a bit to personalise it?

• 2 weeks later...

**WON** (with very little effort)

I have just had a response back from BC and I screwed up with my sums! For some dumb reason I only added up the charges for 2011, thinking that’s all I had, added a bit of their interest the total I said I was claiming was about £210.

BC have pointed out the error of my ways and produced a spread sheet of all the charges going back to 2006 and have agreed to pay them all back - £684 plus £396 contractual interest. They say that they don’t have statements prior to this, but to be honest I’m not bothered at all.

Even though there is still a balance on the card, they are transferring the funds to my Bank as soon as I tell them the details. Something to do with the BC Acct being terminated.

Length of time taken from postage of my claim to their offer = 4 Days!

Toon Army! :-D

*edit* I should point out that this is my wifes card and my claim is being typed after this post

Edited by geordieman

Hell yes ! Letter printed, signed & off it goes tomorrow

WAIT !!! :!:

Before you accept the offer, make damned sure you are not making a second major error.

Use the spreadsheet from post #3 above and enter onto it the dates and charge amounts which BC have now supplied for you.

Change the interest rate on the spreadsheet to 24.9% which is what people are claiming with BC for Interest in Restitution.

Or, if you prefer, use the approx interest rate as per your a/c statements, or the annual rate which BC use if you're happy with that.

Let us know approx what figures the spready shows and how it compares with the BC offer.

I’ve compared the two and there is only £30 difference, so I am happy with that. I used the APR that BC charged me for the CAG spread sheet and the difference may well be that BC have used an APR that has fluctuated up & down over the years

Aareet Geordieman,

Excellent !! :whoo:

Always best to check as the banks' offers are not always as good as they first appear.

Now, grab that refund and please remember CAG if you can manage a site donation. :wink:

Aareet Geordieman,

Excellent !! :whoo:

Always best to check as the banks' offers are not always as good as they first appear.

Now, grab that refund and please remember CAG if you can manage a site donation. :wink:

Indeed mate. I’ve sent them an acceptance letter plus telling them they have 14 days to pay the money into my bank and as soon as it received a donation is on its way.

I’ll update when they paid

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm

I put this in my reply their letter

I am prepared to accept this as a full & final settlement of my claim, provided the funds are credited to my bank account within 14 days

14 Days is up tomorrow (14/3) and still no show. Is it reasonable to give them a few extra days, say Friday 16th then fire off a recorded letter stating they have a further 5 working days to pay then if no show, I will take legal action. This I will do without any hesitation. Is it also reasonable to point out that since their ‘offer’ the amount claimed has increased due to interest?

Cheers

Hi Geordie,

I always suggest allowing a few extra days so you are seen to be reasonable.

Yes, give them a 5 day deadline if you want and tell them interest has increased the amount you require to the sum of £xxx.

If this were me, I'd just bide my time. They'll pay when they sort themselves out and it's probably not worth starting court action, unless the really take the pee.

• 2 weeks later...

Last Update:

Bummer! I got my statement today and they have chucked the money on that even tho` they wanted my banking details. Oh well thats one CC just about cleared, so still happy.

Good result and glad you're happy.