Fully Comp whilst driving friends car but stopped and given 6 points on license? Whatssup with that?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4548 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Even everyone,

I wonder if I could trouble you to offer advice for a friend.

The situation is that my friend who is 25yrs old, was driving one of our other friend's car and was stopped. He has his own fully comprehensive insurance and thought the general consensus was that (just as the owner of the vehicle he was driving and me too even though I am not a driver) that he as he does have fully comp insurance, he would also be covered third party. Is this wrong - has the law/insurance rules changed?

He checked this all out with is insurance company on the phone and they assured him he would be but he was stopped, given 6 points on his license as well as a £200 fine. So is this right? If he was to appeal, what would his chances be?

Thoughts and advice very very welcome!

Thanks very much.

Appreciating as always,

Coffee:angel:

He checked this all out with is insurance company on the phone and they assured him he would be

Telling im something on the phone, and what they would be prepared to put in writing may be two different things.

It is an old myth that being comp on your own policy automatically gives you DOV (Driving Other Vehicles) cover., and while it was widely true many years ago, it is becoming the exception now.

However, if your friend's insurance company have suggested on the phone that he had DOV cover, then this should also be shown within his policy document. If so, he has a defence against the charge.

First look at your friend's (the Driver) Certificate of Insurance.

It used to be that Certificates of Insurances had something on them like "The Insured may also drive any other vehicle not owned by or leased or rented to him".

That was as far as the legal mimimun insurance (RTA) and presupposed the vehicle was insured elsewhere.

I believe the Police and DVLAs desire for standardised, traceable computor databases listing vehicle numbers with specific names has required insurers to stop having this cover. But if the Insurers here say otherwise, I am pleased to hear it.

Others will know more than I and, if corrct, how to Appeal.

I believe the Police and DVLAs desire for standardised, traceable computor databases listing vehicle numbers with specific names has required insurers to stop having this cover.

Not so Tony. I still have it on all 6 of my insurance policies, and I am sure many of the older CAGgers who have had insurance for a number of years will still be entitled to it on theirs. However, it is no longer an AUTOMATICALLY included element on a comp policy whereas it pretty well used to be.

Now it is more likely to be related to your age (usually at least 25) and possibly also the number of years you have held a comp policy.

Hi

Surely if he was stopped by the police they would have explained there reasons for stopping him. He also would have been issued written confirmation by the police of there reasons for the 6 points and £200 fine for breaches of whatever act etc etc.

Did he not challenge this with the police at the time and if so did the police contact his insurance company at the time?

He really does need written confirmation as has been said from his insurance company tha his policy does cover him for DOV.

He also need to have a very good read of his insurance policy especially the exclusions as DOV may be there and its just been missed.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Crem, TonyP and Stu007, thank you for stopping by and hitting Coffee with your wisdom and advice for a friend in need. I have passed on your comments which are very much appreciated!

I will update/seek your guidance once my friend has checked his insurance paperwork (with a fine tooth comb is what I have advised.

Thanks again.

As always,

Best,

Sorry, before I turn in and not being able to do the quotes on my bb, can I just say/ask:

When did it not become Automatic on comp that you were covered third party and also Stu007, I do believe that my friend did point this out and argue his case to the police when he was stopped but to no avail. Anyhoos, as I said I have let my friend know what you have advised/thought and I will update with further developments/responses from my friend as soon as I get them.

Once again, thank you.

Coffee signing off now. Good nite peeps, sleep well.

Best,

Was the car they were driving insured on its own policy? My DOV cover allows me to drive another car 3rd party as long as the car is covered by its own policy.

Also as Crem says some have a over 25 clause, although they are 25 now how old were they when they took out the policy?

It was never "automatic". It was always an extra which was added onto some policies. The difference is that while ten or twenty years ago nearly all insurance companies offered it on their fully comp policies (and even on some 3rd party policies), nowadays many companies either don't include it at all, or impose additional conditions (such as requiring the other vehicle to have its own policy, or only offering it to drivers over 25). Possible reasons include that insurers (especially at the cheaper end of the market) are cutting back on extras to make their headline prices as low as possible, that it was being abused too often (the son insuring his own Clio fully comp, then driving around in dad's sports car on his DOV cover), or just that modern insurers are out to rip us off in any way they can. Take your pick according to preference!

Hi Aretnap, thanks for stopping by.

I will pass this on as well to my friend. I am waiting for him to check his paperwork and get back to me then I will update again.

Really appreciate the advice so far.

Best,