Committal summons for non payment of council tax, any council tax experts?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4575 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My father owes over 10k for the council tax on a house he has never lived in - i have been the resident so it is me that owes the money.

They have not listened to me saying the debt is mine and ordered him to appear in court.

He has no evidence to say he has not lived here and i don't even think he intends to go to the court.

Would a magistrate accept a statement from a neighbour to confirm he has not lived at the address?

Also when the police come looking for him and find he is not living here what will they want to do then? He is living down south so would they continue to look for him?

Does he pay CT or other utility bills where he now lives? Does he pay rent or mortgage?

PT

Hi,

He basically has no fixed abode. He was living with his mom but she never added him to the council tax and she died in 2009 then he swaps between friends and family.

But all the neighbours know he hanst lived at this address for years and years. I thought my dad was paying the council tax but he wasnt the debt is now mine. He still has his mail delivered here etc.

Will they try to lock him up?

thanks.

What does he do for money? Does he get any Benefits?

As for the Council Tax owing - do you know how many Liability Orders there are, when they were obtained, what period each one cover? Have you not had Bailiffs seeking to enforce the debt? He would be silly not to come back to appear at Court. They could then just issue an arrest warrant and he could be lifted on sight. I assume the house must still be registered in his name.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What does he do for money? Does he get any Benefits?

As for the Council Tax owing - do you know how many Liability Orders there are, when they were obtained, what period each one cover? Have you not had Bailiffs seeking to enforce the debt? He would be silly not to come back to appear at Court. They could then just issue an arrest warrant and he could be lifted on sight. I assume the house must still be registered in his name.

PT

He works but after bills nothing left. He don't get benefits.

The letter that came is a liability order for 1100 quid covering 12 months. + 354 costs so 1500

If he paid that i guess they would submit liability orders for the rest?

His debt totals 11k

He works but after bills nothing left. If he has a job then he can prove he lives away I would have thought. He don't get benefits.

The letter that came is a liability order for 1100 quid covering 12 months. + 354 costs so 1500 - this has to be from a Bailiff as no Liability order has costs that high unless this has the costs of the Committal Hearing included

If he paid that i guess they would submit liability orders for the rest? That's quite likely

His debt totals 11k

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

PT

He's self employed...

They tried to put a charge on his property but the recession put it into negative equity so they dumped the idea. He basically has nothing of value or assets.

The letter i have is from the magistrate saying he has had a complaint from the council and to avoid turning up he has to pay 1183 for 12 months plus costs of 354. It isn't a bailiff.

I would have thought if he paid that then the rest he could say he has not got the money and will pay a bit monthly until he can afford it. I am sure any magistrate would see willing after a 1500 chunk payment.

Trouble is i dont think my dad wants to pay as he doesnt owe them. I need to know if a magistrate would take a statement from a neighbour as evidence for vacation. really.

The letter i have is from the magistrate saying he has had a complaint from the council and to avoid turning up he has to pay 1183 for 12 months plus costs of 354. It isn't a bailiff.

p/quote]

The only way there would be a letter from the court with an arrangement is if the court have ordered payment after a hearing has taken place - non-payment would then be breech of the court order and they wont be amused at that.