• Tweets

• I recently bought some trainers from Sports Direct and was unhappy with them and their extortionate delivery and return postage charges. So I tweeted about being unhappy, and received a reply from someone claiming to be from Sports Direct asking me to send my order number and email address by pm, so a claim could be raised. Which I (stupidly) did. The account used Sports Direct's name and branding, and a blue tick.  The following day I received a call from "Sports Direct Customer Service", and with a Kenyan number. They asked for details of the issue, and then sent me an email with a request to install an app called Remitly. They provided me with a password to access the app. And then I saw that it had been setup for me to transfer £100, and I was asked to enter my credit card number so they could "refund" me. I told them I was uncomfortable with this (to say the least), and was just told to ring them back when I did feel comfortable doing it. Ain't never gonna happen.  I just checked my X account, and the account that sent the message asking for my details is gone. I feel like a complete idiot falling for what was a clear scam. But at least I realised before any real damage was done. So if you make a complaint about a company on social media, and you get a reply from someone claiming to be from that company and asking for personal details, tread very carefully. 
    • The good news is that their PCN does not comply with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012  Schedule 4.. First under Section 9 (2)The notice must— (a)specify the vehicle, the relevant land on which it was parked and the period of parking to which the notice relates; (b)inform the keeper that the driver is required to pay parking charges in respect of the specified period of parking and that the parking charges have not been paid in full; The PCN does not specify the parking period. AS you rightly say the ANPR times do not include driving to the parking space and then from there back to the exit. And once you include getting children in and out of cars especially if seat belts are involved the time spent parked can be a fair bit less than the ANPR times but still probably nowhere near the time you spent. But that doesn't matter -it's the fact that they failed to comply. Also they failed to ask the keeper to pay the charge.  Their failure means that they cannot now transfer the charge from the diver to the keeper . Only the driver is now liable. As long as UKPA do not know who was driving it will be difficult for them to win in Court as the Courts do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person. Particularly as anyone can drive any car if they have the correct insurance. It might be able to get more reasons to contest the PCN if you could get some photos of the signs. both at the entrance and inside the car park. the photos need to be legible and if there are signs that say different things from others that would also be a help.
    • Farage rails and whines about not being allowed on the BBC ... ... but pulls out at the last minute of a BBC Panorama interview special. It was denied it was anything to do with his candidates being outed as misogynists and Putin apologists, or that farage was afraid Nick Robinson might throw some difficult questions at him ... despite farages recent practice at quickly cowering in fear.   It was claimed 'it wasn't in Nigels diary'     Nigel Farage pulls out of BBC interview at last minute amid Hitler row WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK ‘Panorama’ special postponed as Reform UK party faces row over candidate who claimed UK would have been ‘better off’ if it had...   Waaahhhh
    • i'd say put lowells to strict proof of where the payment came from. cant hurt to send SB letter, even if proved not. at least they get your correct address. they'd have to link the old IVA times scale to a payment  these IVA F&F pots (if thats where it came from) most mugs dont even know they are not only taking most of your payments on fees but also creaming money off to supposedly offer F&F's.  funny when the IVA fails or is complete these sums of money in F&F pots never get given back or even mentions... these IVA firm directors esp with regard to knightsbridge and creditfix were fined and struck off more times than Paul Burdell of Link Fame and still managed to continue to scam people.
    • Hi everyone, I received a charge certificate with a charge of £165  in April 2022 however I never received a PCN and NTO before that. I responded by requesting original PCN reissued in the hope of getting discounted rate which was refused however I was offered to pay £110. I received an Order of Recovery in May 2023 and submitted a witness statement on time by email to get the original PCN re-issued. I received a Notice of Enforcement in February 2024 I contacted TEC that I had submitted TE9 on time and they advised me to submit a late witness statement and TE7. I did as advised and also attached the original email and witness statement as proof to show that I had submitted my witness statement on time. The council disputed my late witness statement by saying that I likely received the PCN and that I did not submit a valid late witness statement without specifying why it's not valid. The court refused my late witness statement without giving any reasoning behind their decision (so much for the transparency). This is really outrageous as I did attach the proof of submitting the witness statement on time and it seems like the court just decided without looking at the case files. Can someone please advise me what should I do now? Any help is appreciated. I have attached all the documents below.   Documents.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Satander Grrr.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4541 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Still working my self DMP and have finally included the bank in the DMP which was a brilliant idea, First Direct were very helpful and complimented me on my work so far, and have agreed a fair repayment :)

But, Santander continue to be a pain, they still will not agree to an arrangement without bank statements or payslips. Despite some letter tennis they still send the same letter back.

Also more seriously they started calling me again, despite agreeing to remove my phone number from there records, my first reaction is to re-lodge the complaint as they clearly haven't removed my number from their records.

I did speak to the rep but it was like talking to a broken record she kept repeating that i needed to send in payslips\bank statements and it was satander policy to not agree without this info.

So I'm back to ask the wise heads around these parts whats the best approach to :

a. Bank statements\Pay slips etc . (TBH I've nothing to hide but I'd rather not give that info)

b. them ringing despite in writing saying they had removed my number from there database.

With Thanks

Ian

Thanks

Ian

With Help fom everyone here!

So Far:

M&S Agreed temp arrangement £10 PM until jan 12

Nationwide Agreed to DMP Offer

FirstDirect closed account and agreed a repayment plan.

Tesco: Agreed to DMP Offer

Outstanding:

Halifax passed to Moorcroft but continuing to pay Halifax £5PCM

Satander: being awkward asking for excessive iinfo, now closed account

your choice if you do/don't

they have NO legal right to see any of your per fin dets

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

your choice if you do/don't

they have NO legal right to see any of your per fin dets

dx

Hi dx

do you have a legal doc i can quote at them? they insist its company policy, will fight if i can.

ian

Thanks

Ian

So Far:

Outstanding:

as you state 'a company policy'

tough, its your policy not to supply them

end off

just pay then via internet banking

they cannot refuse that

its your money..take control!

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 4 weeks later...

interestingly Satander are no longer accepting my payments via online banking.

time to worry?

Ian

Thanks

Ian

So Far:

Outstanding:

if you know the ac/sort

they cant refuse!

unless they have closed the A/C?

dx

and they

Google The Office of Fair Trading debt collection guidance and the Lending Code.

Have a read through both and pull of the revevant stuff and formulate a well-constructed complaints letter. They'll soon start behaving.

Will do it ... looks like they've closed the account, they use the world's slowest postal service so I expect it will be next week before i see a letter !

Thanks

Ian

So Far:

Outstanding:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31791[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31790[/ATTACH]

Lending Code and OFT guide on Debt Collection attached.

Lending Code, I think you need to read from Section 9.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

IMHO, I would not provide them with the information they are requesting. Especially payslips and bank statements :lol:

You could write them one final letter along the following lines.

Dear Sir/Madam.

I have explained my financial circumstances to you, yet unlike my other credtiors you are not prepared to assist.

The documents you have requested are not required, I have provided an Income and Expenditure form on which I have signed a statement of truth. This has been acceptable to all my other creditors.

It would appear you are now refusing to accept the payments I have been making, via online banking.

This letter is just to put on record your Unfair Treatment of someone who is suffering a financial difficulty, which is contrary to both the OFT guidelines and the Lending Code.

Yours faithfully,

etc, etc..

HTH

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks for the template I'll get one ready if I need it.

I sent a complaint letter to the head of collections a few weeks back. Outlining my situation, my offer of payment and firm refusal to supply personal details, and my surprise that they still had my telephone number on record despite writing to me to say they had removed all my number from their system. Surprisingly I received a letter today from Santander today apologising for the delay in dealing with my complaint, but to bear with them as they investigate !

lets see where this goes, still concerned I can't make payments to my account though.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks

Ian

So Far:

Outstanding:

If you had problems with Santandr owing them money, definitely use one of the most abused pieces of legislation against them - The Lending Code March 2010.

As mentioned above Section 9 deals with financial difficulties. Have a read - it's easy reading. THEY should have spotted you were in difficulty and approached you first. Turn the tables and tell them, "I note from the Lending Code, to which you are subscribed, you should have noticed that I was in financail difficulties. Please can you explain why you ignored your obligations under the code and send me a copy of your Complaints Procedure in order that I can exhaust this preliminary route before taking more formal action. Meanwhile I repeat my offer of£x.xx per month on the condition that all interest and charges are frozen, and a default recorded on my Credit Reference File at the earliest possible opportunity."

Somrthing along those lines will encourage them to sit up and take a bit more notice hopefully.

Thanks Ghost,

Santander have written again today, investigation complete, and although apologising for phone calls. They seem to have completely grasped the wrong end of the stick, thinking I'm using a DMP company and are placing the account on hold for 40 days to allow me to arrange for them to contact them! time for a new letter me thinks.

Ian

Thanks

Ian

So Far:

Outstanding:

here is my response to the latest madness. I'd appreciate some feedback.

Thank you for acknowledging that all our communications should be in writing, and you have placed my account on hold to allow breathing space.

I write because you seem to have grasped the wrong end of this stick here, I am not using a Debt Management company but arranging my affairs myself. I have been attempting to do this for the last 6 months, Santander remain the only company not to enter into an agreement with me to resolve this issue. As it is my intention to honour my outstanding debts as best I can in my current circumstances.

To this end I made an online banking payment to my account only for it to be returned, how am I supposed to make payments if you will not accept them when presented.

I have provided you on several occasions with a completed Santander Income and Expenditure form and a more detailed version, which details my outgoings, and on that form section F details my outstanding debts. My own document, which conforms to CCCS\CIFS guidelines details all my expenses and debts, has been accepted my other creditors as a true statement of my affairs. In return for this information I only seem to be receiving the same automated response letter. Your letters ask for bank statements and payslips, which as I understand it only a court can demand.

My offer still stands at £xx.00 based upon the calculations in the form provided.

I would be grateful if you could confirm your acceptance of my offer within our this holding period you have applied.

If this situation continues I feel I will have no option to make a formal complaint to the financial ombudsmen as in my view I feel you are not acting fairly in accordance with the current lending code.

I would appreciate all communication be in writing for the avoidance of doubt. This serves to protect both of us from the possibility of any misunderstanding.

I look forward to receiving a positive response from you.

Yours Faithfully

Thanks Ian

Thanks

Ian

So Far:

Outstanding:

Excellent letter..

BCOBS

• 2 weeks later...

cheers CitizenB, the buggers haven't responded yet though!

Cheers

Ian

Thanks

Ian

So Far:

Outstanding:

• 2 weeks later...

Now then Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to one and all ....

Got a reply from retail collections today, advising that they have passed further collection to Moorcroft (... those of comic sans threat-o-gram fame!). I still have an open complaint as a far as i can see so do i tell Moorcroft to hold on while i settle my dispute with Satander or go straight to the ombudsmen and see what they can do?

not sure which is best or just forget it and negotiate with Moorcroft?

I really start to feel Satander are not paying any attention to the lending code.

Thanks

Ian

So Far:

Outstanding:

Hmm, not sure what is best advised here. There is an unresolved dispute and instead of dealing with it, Santander have farmed the account out. They have refused your payments and closed the account. Do you know if Moorcroft are just collecting or are they the new owners of the account?

BCOBS

Hi CitizenB,

Not sure, all these letters came yesterday, nothing from moorcroft yet, I've their number blocked already at home :lol: as i've an existing thing going on with Halifax. They should write soon i guess. The letter says collecting if that helps, I'm at work I can post it later if req.

Thanks

Ian

Thanks

Ian

So Far:

Outstanding:

i'd do two things

check your cra file

lets get the facts of who owns its

then if it is santy then i'd complain to:

[email protected]

we've had good results going to the top!

dx

and they

Thanks DX

Just checked me CRA it shows Santy still own the debt, the wording of the letter is they are asking Moorcroft to collect on their behalf.

Thanks

Thanks

Ian

So Far:

Outstanding:

ok great

i'd complain to:

[email protected]

we've had good results going to the top!

dx

and they

Hi All

how this look going to email santy CEO.

Dear Sir,

I write to you after very disappointing treatment from your retail collections department and complaints team. I am concerned that your company is not acting fairly, inline with the Lending code and OFT guidelines for dealing with financial hardship, to which I understand you subscribe.

I have been in correspondance with your collections dept since 21 May 2011 asking for the opportunity to make reduced payments on my credit card account. I am experiencing financial difficulties meeting my financial obligations. I have spoken to CCCS to gather advice and guidance. I wrote to you enclosing a through statement of affairs on 21 May 2011. I made a fair pro-rata offer of payment following CCCS advice. I was disappointed to receive a stock letter by return, although you froze interest and charges, you insisted on copies of bank statements and wage slips. As I understand it only a court can request this information, so I politely declined to provide this information. My other creditors have acted well and have accepted my offers of reduced payment without this information. However my offers have been consistently ignored by Santander. I have made a token payment of £5pm to the account throughout this time as it is my intention to honour my debts. However in late November my payment was returned to the bank, and I was later informed by letter that the account had been passed to a debt recovery company.

I have twice had to use your complaints system once to ask you to refrain from calling me at work and at all times of the day when I had asked for all correspondence to be in writing. To which you responded and promised to only correspond in writing. In late November I received a number of calls from your call centre even though I was assured my number had been removed from your system. I wrote back to Linda Dellow in your collections team to complain, the letter was passed to your complaints dept. However they wrote back not having read my letter clearly. I wrote back to explain myself more clearly and by this time your collections team had passed my details to a debt recovery company.

I write this in the hope you will act fairly and in accordance with the charters you subscribe to, if this still does not happen. I will be obliged to make a complaint to the OFT, and the Financial Ombudsman.

Thanks

Ian

So Far:

Outstanding:

lots of grammar and spelling errors

dx

and they