• Tweets

• 25/05/2024? That the deadline or the date of the claimform?
    • Banks have different limits above which they require Probate. So it may be Probate is not needed, although as he died with no Will that could complicate things. Is all the £28k with Virgin Money? Your wife should contact all banks who hold his money with the death certificate and ask them what they need to release the funds to her. Most banks have a central "bereavement department". Check their websites. Use that department rather than general call centre or bank branch if they have one. Nearly every bank website has a section on "what to do when a customer dies" so have a search for that. Your wife may also have to provide evidence that she is his daughter. When his wife died it sounds like they had a joint bank account so that's why her money just went across to him. But as it isn't a joint account now transfer to your wife won't be quite that simple.  
    • That explains it then. MET's fantasy is that it's a pay car park.  You're only let off paying if you are a Starbucks customer which you can't be when Starbucks is closed.  'Cos otherwise lots of people would abuse the car park facilities on the far edge of the Stansted Airport area in the middle of nowhere to ... admire the bushes?  Look at the cloudy sky? The important thing is that we have around 140 cases for this site, and MET have only tried court seven times.  Even then, they had no intention of getting as far as a hearing, they were attempting to intimidate the motorists into paying, when the Caggers defended the cases MET discontinued.
    • She's an only child and he as a brother and sister. He has no will and we have done a check on this to find out if he had left one and nothing has come up. He has savings of around 28k His sister and brother are well off so 28k is nothing to them and aren't interested in his money. This just leaves my wife/his daughter. Would this still need to go to probate there is no estate e.g house or business to sell and the amount left in his bank is just small? When his wife died they just closed her bank account and moved her money across to his account and we just assumed that once my wife has handed in the death certificate and shown evidence of who she is the same would apply to her? We don't know yet the council have only just written to us today with a guide of what to do next.  
    • Did your FiL leave a Will and if so who is the Executor? Strictly speaking banks could refuse to take instructions until Probate is granted but In practice I would expect the bank to take instructions to cancel the DD if the Executor presents the death certificate and a certified copy of the Will
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Can our ex landlord still take us to small court?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4608 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.

To cut a long story short. We had bad landlords. It all went through the DPS (deposit protection scheme) who has an indipendant adjudicator who goes over both claims for the £1000 deposit and makes a decision after 28 days.

We were awarded our full £1000 depoist back.

I will just copy and paste the part which concerns my question:

"Rent arrears

11. Section 48 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987 requires a landlord to provide a tenant with written notice of the landlord‟s name and address (in England or Wales) where notices may be served on that landlord. If the landlord has not given such notice to the tenant, no rent or service charge is lawfully due from that tenant until the landlord has complied. The Tenancy Agreement does not include a Section 48 Notice and the Landlord has not provided any other documentary proof of a valid Section 48 Notice having been served on the Tenant. I also

note that the Landlord‟s (and Tenant‟s) particulars are not defined in the Tenancy Agreement. On this basis, I find that the Landlord‟s claim for rent arrears fails."

Now.. our landlords are still harrassing us for the rent money. Well trying to bully us into giving them it. We have had the poilice involved to get them off our backs.

My question is,

Can they take us to a small court to try and get money?

We were told that the DPS decision is final and that there decision would hold up in court? Can anyone share any light on this?

Thank in advance.

ps they never put our deposit into the DPS for 7 months. We had to tell them to put it in.

IMO rent arrears are a debt and can be pursued in County Court, even if LL agreed to DPS ADR, which is mainly to adjudicate on T damages etc.

However, if you provided an official transcript of the DPS adjudication, you have a strong case, based on the above. Same result likely.

If DPS hold the disputed deposit it should be returned to you.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah we have the full £1000 back now. Have had it for some time.

The thing is we gave the landlord about 4 months notice to move out as well and they agreed. But then they were funny at end and changed there mind. But I have my letter we wrote to them (dated) and txts sent from us and from them acknowledging that we had given notice.

They lied to DPS about when they recieved the deposit but we have signed receipts of when we gave it to them. Can we try to claim 3 x the amount of the deposit as they didnt put in 14 days after we gave it to them?

They also lied to DPS saying that we never gave them notice for moving out but as I have said above we have proof.

One more thing.. the tennant agreement is done on some crappy paper and doesnt state anything about notice, breaking contract, things like that. It is also not signed by any of our landlords. They signed the "witness" bit but they never signed the landlord bit...?

You cannot sue them for the 3 x deposit as you have moved out...

I would just try to forget the whole episode, and if they try to take you to court, you have all the proof you need, including the full return of the deposit by the DPS, you should not worry about this any more, just wait and see what happens....

On another note... if you are being harrassed by your ex landlord, then you should write to them asking them to stop, or you will report them to the police, but only do this if you are prepared to report them.

Harassment is a criminal offence.

I am not a solicitor :!::!:

Most of my knowledge came from this site :-D:-D

If I have been helpful in any way at all .............. Please click my star..... :-(:-(

The landlord can sue you in the county court.

That doesn't necessarily mean he can win such a claim :)

If it happens, defend the claim in the same way as you did to the DPS, including the fact that arbitration found in your favour. Make sure you know the correct processes involved for 'small claims' - they're not difficult but your local library or Amazon will have books on the small claim process.

The arbitration decision will make it very difficult for the landlord to win.

Forget the 3x - here's why http://tenancyanswers.ucoz.com/index/section_214_claims/0-45

The point about the tenancy agreement is a red herring - tenancy agreements for less than 3 years don't have to be written, so the signature or lack of it is not critical.

Can you clarify - did you leave before the end of a fixed term contract?

If so - do you know if tenants moved into the place since then?

Yes we left before our 24 month contract but they agreed to let us go. We let them show ppl around the house while we were still living there & paying rent. They changed mind at end

Yes they have ppl in the property now.

Thanks for the help.

Yes we left before our 24 month contract but they agreed to let us go.
Do you have proof of that?

We let them show ppl around the house while we were still living there & paying rent. They changed mind at end
Not relevant to your claim

Yes they have ppl in the property now.
At worst your liability ended when tenants moved in. Surrender by operation of law.

What does "surrender by operation law" mean mate?

Yes we kind of have proof. I have txts saved on iPhone and copy of letter we sent and they sent us back?

There is nothing in there contract to indicate how many months notice we needed to give or what would happen if we left.

My gf got pregnant so we wanted to buy house. They agreed so we got mortgage., they changed there mind.

In this case "operation by law" means once new Ts move in, the previous T ceases, as 2 sep Tenancies granting exclusive use of property cannot exist at the same time AFAIK. Txt evidence is useless. Did your confirmation letter clearly state exact date you would vacate? Was it signed by LL? Did you provide 2 copies signed by you with one returnable by LL? Did it state at the bottom " signed as a Deed"?

Most Notice periods are governed by Statute eg Housing Act 1988 which should be referred to on the header page of the AST.

ie a tenancy cannot be terminated during fixed term (yours 24 mo) by either Party other than by operation of a specified break clause provision, a Court Order or by mutual written & signed Consent (pref Deeed of Surrender). If by 'mutual consent', the LL is entitled to compensation for lost income & expenses incurred.

You have had your full deposit returned after DPS ADR, due to major oversight by LL. His chances of suing for compensation etc is slim as you could claim no legalTenancy existed, though ASTs of

As for his alleged harrassment/frustration, that could be easily sorted with a well-crafted Solicitor's letter.

Bad LL?? he could have held you to full 24 month fixed term, at what cost to you?

Yes bad landlord. These guys have put my pregnant Girlfriend through so much stress. They said "of course yous can go" "get the mortgage" "everything will be ok" .. until my friend mentioned to me about the DPS which I new nothing about. I asked them if my deposit was in this and they flipped and went crazy with me. They said this was only introduced months after my contract started. That was a lie. They put our money into the dps the day we moved out .. out os spite. They then lied to DPS about damage to house which was untrue, that we didnt give notice, untrue, the date they we gave them deposit, untrue. They herass us on the phone and by letter.. now bu email. We have had the police involved and they took our side.

They sent us forms to sign to get out of contract when they started being funny. So surely they will hold up.. THEY sent us forms acknowledging that they were letting us out of the contract..

Thankyou for taking the time to help me.. a lot of what you wrote flys right over my head lol. So basically you think it wont hold up in court? I rang DPS again yesterday and they said the independant adjudicator is a small claims and the decision is final.

PS this is what answer I got elsewhere which i read is true:

"The Deposit Protection Service arbitration scheme is voluntary. It can only be used if both parties agree to it. Otherwise the parties have to go to court. However, in agreeing to use the arbitration scheme the parties agree to be bound by its outcome. Which means they can't then go to court if they don't like the decision.

So in this case the landlord is bound by the arbitrator's findings. The arbitrator found there was no grounds on which the landlord could claim rent was owed. So the landlord is stuck with that decision. It sounds like this decision was made on a technicality, but the courts and arbitrators tend to expect landlords to do things by the book.

My advice would be to write to the landlord and point out that he agreed to be bound by the arbitration, so he has no grounds to make demands to rent or other payments related to your tenancy. Also say that any further demands will be treated as harrassment and reported to the police. If he is stupid enough to start court proceedings your defence is straightforward - simply say that you have already been to binding arbitration so there is no case to answer."