• Tweets

• Hello all,   I ordered a laptop online about 16 months ago. The laptop was faulty and I was supposed to send it back within guarantee but didn't for various reasons. I contacted the company a few months later and they said they will still fix it for me free of charge but I'd have to pay to send it to them and they will pay to send it back to me. The parcel arrived there fine. Company had fixed it and they sent it via dpd. I was working in the office so I asked my neighbours who would be in, as there's been a history of parcel thefts on our street. I had 2 neighbours who offered but when I went to update delivery instructions, their door number wasn't on the drop down despite sharing the same post code.  I then selected a neighbour who I thought would likely be in and also selected other in the safe place selection and put the number of the neighbour who I knew would definitely be in and they left my parcel outside and the parcel was stolen. DPD didn't want to deal with me and said I need to speak to the retailer. The retailer said DPD have special instructions from them not to leave a parcel outside unless specified by a customer. The retailer then said they could see my instructions said leave in a safe space but I have no porch. My front door just opens onto the road and the driver made no attempt to conceal it.  Anyway, I would like to know if I have rights here because the delivery wasn't for an item that I just bought. It was initially delivered but stopped working within the warranty period and they agreed to fix it for free.  Appreciate your help 🙏🏼   Thanks!
    • As the electric carmaker sees sales fall and cuts jobs, we take a closer look at its problems.View the full article
    • Care to briefly tell someone who isn't tech savvy - i.e. me! - how you did this? Every day is a school day.
    • Hi Guys, well a year on and my friend has just received this in the post today, obviously a little scared so looking for more of your advice.  Letter from the NCC dated 1-May-2024 is as follows.......   Before deputy district judge Haythorne sitting at the national business centre, 4th floor st Kathrine's house Northampton Upon reading an application from the claimant  it is ordered that  1. The claim be sent to the county court at #### (Friends local Court) Because this order has been made without a hearing, the parties have the right to apply to have the order set aside, varied or stayed.  A party making such an application must send or deliver the application to the court (together with any appropriate fee) to arrive within seven days of service of this order.  If the application is one which requires a hearing, and a) the party making the application is the defendant: and b) the defendant is an individual, then upon filing of the application the claim will be transferred to the defendants home court.  In all other cases requiring a hearing the claim will be transferred to the preferred court.    As a result of an order made on the 1 May 2024, this claim has been transferred to the county court at ##### (friends local court) 
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Link Financial Services - collecting on poss SB debt?

dazza4
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4179 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

many thanks All

I would appreciate a review of the following letter I plan to send

Many thanks in advance

The Loan Company

Company House,

Church Street,

Newtown,

Kent,

R1 7HG

Dear Sir/Madam

Acc/Ref No /..........

You have contacted us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by us.

After being bullied and coerced by your staff it was agreed that we would pay a monthly amoun.

However, after taking advice, we understand that this account would have been Statute Barred at the time you first contacted us.

We are of the opinon that you would have been in possession of this information at the time you made that contact and in view of this unethical behaviour we will be complaining to the OFT about your company.

In view of the above the standing order has now been cancelled and we will not be paying anything further.

We would point out that under the limitation act1980 Section 5 “an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”

We would also point out that the OFT say under their debt collectionGuidance on statute barred debt that “it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period”.

The last payment of this alleged debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from us in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, we suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against us to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that “continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment contrary to CPUTR2008

We await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed and that no further contact will be made concerning the above account after that last letter.

We look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Mr A N Other

I have made some amendments.. perhaps others can also chip in.. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much have you payed to them Daz roughly?

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Consider legal action to recoup payments made under duress and with the Collector being fully aware that the debt was SB at the time of collection.

Continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment contrary to CPUTR2008 and possible damages?

Give them a taste of their own medicine, would be an interesting defence if they defended.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Just the first para, I'd put:

I write in reference to the above account which you claim is due and payable.

However, having taken advice on this matter, we have now become aware that this account is Statute Barred, therefore you will receive no further payment.

We would point out that we were induced to make payments under duress, during a telephone conversation with your staff, the tone of which which amounted to bullying and harrassment.

We are now aware that the debt was already Statute Barred when we started these payments, and therefore remains so.

For this reason we have cancelled the Standing Order. Your lack of transparency and aggression in pursuing this debt in the knowledge that it was already Statute Barred have been noted, and a formal complaint will be made to Trading standards and the OFT should you continue to demand payment.

thank you for your responses

Elsa, I like the tone of that paragraph and have amended.

Consider legal action to recoup payments made under duress and with the Collector being fully aware that the debt was SB at the time of collection.

Andy, How difficult/expensive would it be to commence legal action?

i may wait until they have acknowledged that this over before going down this route.

“No Costs” in the Small Claims Court

It is often said that there is a “no costs” rule in the small claims court. However, this does not mean that a victorious party cannot recover any costs incurred in a small claims case. Part 27 of the Civil Procedure Rules sets out the maximum costs which a judge can order a party to pay. Whether or not the judge will order a party to pay costs is ultimately a matter for him.

The costs awarded may depend on a number of factors including the relative financial status of the parties and their behaviour before and during court proceedings. If any costs awarded by the judge do not cover the expenses actually incurred, the party will have to pay them out of their own pocket.

Legal Costs and Fees

The victorious party can recover the following legal costs and fees:

• The costs of issuing the claim and any court fees which have been paid, such as the allocation questionnaire fee.
  • If the case includes a claim for an injunction or specific performance - an amount for legal advice and assistance to a maximum of £260.
  • If a small claims case proceeds to an appeal, the appeal court may summarily assess the costs of the appeal – the costs of an appeal are not subject to the usual small claims limitations.
  • Any order for costs made before the claim was allocated to the small claims court.

Amount claimedSmall claims court fee Up to £300£30Up to £500£50Up to 1,000£80Up to £5,000£120

There are times when I would very much like to be a fly on the wall .. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 1 month later...

Have you confirmed the letter was received by them ? Check on the RM website and print off any proof of reciept and signature if available.

Keep an eye on your credit report just to ensure nothing nasty pops up.

I will ask Elsa and andy to pop in and advise if you should be chasing a response or letting sleeping dogs lie !

BCOBS

Hi Dazza

If they have any sense its the end of the matter but this is Plinkty Plink you are dealing with.They realise the gravy train has stopped but in case they do react

better do that D.S.A.R and be prepared, just in case.

Andy

Hi Dazza,

I agree with Andy...send off a DSAR to the original company, just in case Link or anyone else start playing silly beggers now or in future.

I imagine they are keeping a low profile now hoping you won't report them. It's up to you whether to prompt them for a response, but I wouldn't. Whilever they are the ones failing to respond, you have the moral high ground.

Sleeping dogs....if they do try again (which I doubt) DSAR them too.

Elsa x

• 10 months later...

hello all,

Just when i started to think that this had all gone away, i recieved a few phone calls again.

I advised link that i would only deal with them by letter and duly recieved the letter below.

I do think this going beyond ridiculous, my original letter was sent ot Link by recorded delivery on the 15/10/2011.

this reply dated 25/09/2012.

We write to you further in relation to your Abbey national plc (Santander) account.

We refute that the account is statute barred.

Whilst we accept that under section 5 of the limitation act 1980 an action cannot be brought after 6 years

however we would refer you to part 29(7) of the act whereby a current period of limitation may be repeatedly extended under this section by further acknowledgments or payments.

This account was defaulted on the 27.11.04.

we enclose a transaction summary for the account showing you had made a payment within the the limitation period

this was on the 19.10.2010.

the last payment credited to the account was on 03.10.2011.

the account is accordingly not statute barred.

please confirm your payment proposal to settle the account.....................

All responses and advise on how to make this all go away is appreciated.

dazza

Edited by dazza4
I am an idiot and cannot attach a document

Ask them to disclose payment details and proof of account sort number from which the alleged payment was made.

Andy

scan the required letters/agreements/sheets - as a picture[jpg] file

don't forget you can use a mobile phone or a digital camera too!!

or

convert existing PC files to PDF [office has an installable print to PDF option]

'

BUT......

ENSURE: remove all pers info inc. barcodes etc using paint program

but leave all figures and dates. {DO NOT USE A BIRO OR PEN]

goto one of the many free online pdf converter websites

it would be better to upload a multipage pdf if

you have many images too rather than many single pdfs

or if you have PDF as an installed printer drive use that

or use word and save as pdf

open a new msg box here

hit go advanced below the msg box

hit manage attachments below that box

hit the add files button on the top right

hit select files, navigate to your file on your pc

hit upload files

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

[ATTACH]38803[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38802[/ATTACH]

I think i have done this correctly.

If so it shows the letter and a transaction summary.

I checked on noddle this morning and there is no reference to this on my credit file.

Thanks again

god are they muppets or what.

write back to them

asking them to please look at what country you live in!!

it matters NOT you paid in nov 2010, YOU ARE IN SCOTLAND!!

5yrs from 2004 = 2009!!

GET YOUR MONEY BACK

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

yes up to in the green library tab

where all our letters reside

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?68-debt-collection-library

dx

and they

I would be obliged if you would review the letter i propose to send to Link

any reccomendations welcome.

Link Financial outsourcing

PO Box 30095

London,

SE1 7WU

Date17/10/12

DearSir/Madam

Acc/RefNo

Youhave contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, whichyou claim is owed by myself.

Iwould point out that under The Prescription and Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973Part 1 Section 6 "If, after the appropriate date, an obligation to whichthis section applies has subsisted for a continuous period of 5 years:

(a)without any relevant claim having been made in relation to the obligation, and

(b) without the subsistence of the obligationhaving been relevantly acknowledged,

then as from the expiration of that period theobligation shall be extinguished:"

Iwould also point out that the OFT say under their debt collection Guidance onstatute barred debt that "it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtorhas heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitationperiod".

Thelast acknowledgement of this alleged debt was made over five years ago. Unlessyou can provide evidence of payment or written contact from myself in therelevant period under Part 1 Section 6 of The Prescription and Limitation(Scotland) Act 1973 , I would respectfully suggest that you are no longer ableto take any action against myself to recover the alleged amount claimed.

Wewould point out that we were induced to make payments under duress, during atelephone conversation with your staff, the tone of which amounted to bullyingand harassment.

Yourlack of transparency and aggression in pursuing this debt in the knowledge thatit was already Statute Barred have been noted, and a formal complaint will bemade to Trading standards and the OFT.

Iexpect that under the circumstances you will refund the £650.00 which has beenpaid at your earliest convenience.

Shouldyou continue to pursue this account without providing this evidence I shallseek an interdict and damages accordingly. A formal complaint will also be madeto Trading Standards along with a report to the OFT questioning your fitness tohold a consumer credit license.

Iawait your written confirmation that this matter is now closed and that nofurther contact will be made concerning the above account after that lastletter.

I lookforward to your reply.

sounds good

I DEMAND that under the circumstances you will refund the £650.00 which has been paid within 14 days

and they

• 2 weeks later...