Closed Barclaycard account but then ended up in arrears

sploits
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4590 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

This is a question for a friend. She had a barclaycard and moved the full balance to another card (0%). She then phoned Barclaycard and closed the account. A month later she recieved a £7 interest charge but she ignored this as you thought it was included within the full balance previously cleared and the account closed. The following month she recieved a letter with a £12.95 charge from which she rang up and they let her off with the charge (so nice of them) but she had to pay trhe £7 outstanding interest charge. She payed this and again the account was closed. She is now looking into getting a mortgage and when checking her credit file this Barclaycard account is causing a problem with the score. She phoned Barclaycard to see if this could be sorted but they have told her there is nothing they can do and it will remain like this.

My question is:

Are Barclaycard telling the truth (I very much doubt they are)?

What steps can she go down to get this 'blemish' sorted on her credit report?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Cheers,

Sploits

<----------- If I have helped in any way please click on my scales :p

Hi, Sorry you were missed.

Are you saying your friend has a default on her credit file? If so then that should go unless there is more to this.

What is more likely is that there is a late payment marker on her file and as she did miss a payment (the £7 interest) that would show.

She could place a notice of correction against the marker to explain what had happened but as far as I can see that would be it unless she write to BC and ask very nicely for them to remove it

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi Sploits,

If the adverse data is factually correct, then BC may have no obligation to make any corrections.

You need to get a copy of the credit file. When you see what is reported, you will be better placed to see if there's anything that can be done about it.

If they agreed to refund or write off any amount, I would NOT expect them to leave any adverse credit data about it.

Get a copy of the CRA report (costs £2 by post) and come back to us.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi silverfox & slick132.

We have got a copy of her credit file and she has 2 late payment markers against the barclaycard account. She has a perfect payment record on her other accounts but Equifax are showing that this is knocking her rating down. The late payments are in a way correct but as she paid the outstanding balance and then asked them to close the account (in which they agreed to do) then she feels they shouldn't really be there. She has spoken to BC and they say that they have to stop there and there is nothing they can do but from the posts you have made a simple notice of correction would hopefully rectify this. There is no outstanding balance on the account.

Thank you for your advice so far :)

Sploits

TerNullyNew thank you for your input on this matter. I will take your advice and let you know how I get on. Oh no wait I have no idea what your post is on about so I can't!! Please stop spamming my thread and go away.

Thanks

I'd write to BC by Recorded Delivery saying something like:_

Dear sir or madam,

Account No: xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

After I closed my account on xxdate using a balance transfer, I believed all transactions were ended.

When you sent a statement showing a small amount of interest plus a default charge, I contacted you and was told interest accrued up to the transfer date.

You agreed to waive the default charge and I agreed to settle the interest which you said was owing.

I now see that this matter has resulted in you posting adverse data on my credit files and this is unacceptable.

I had every reason to believe my account was closed with a nil balance and, as soon as I realised there was a small balance unpaid, I settled it.

When I spoke to you about this by phone, I was told the adverse markers could not be removed. I now realise this is not the case and you absolutely have the authority and discretion to remove the markers.

Please now remove these adverse markers from my credit file within 14 days as I wish to maintain my, otherwise, good credit history.

If you do not comply, I will escalate my complaint to Barclays HQ and raise a formal complaint with the ICO.

Yours faithfully,

See how they respond.

The problem you have is that the first statement that showed £7 as still owing was ignored. On reflection and with the benefit of hindsight, you should have queried it at the time and it would have been sorted.

So the first marker is technically correct. The second marker may not be correct, depending on timing.

See how they respond and do not bother speaking to them again - it's a waste of time.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Excellent Slick132, i will pass that onto her and hopefully she will get the answer she wants from BC. If not then nothing lost :)

Thanks again

Hmmm,

Don't hold your breath .............. :|

Keep us posted.