• Tweets

• for the sake of history, i've merged your old sadly failed charges reclaim court claim. have they ever sent you a default notice regarding this mortgage? dx  
    • I am financially at  point where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel regarding my debts. I have one remaining and I am interested to see what my options could be. I have be in contact with the Citizen’s Advice Bureau and the National Debt Helpline, but their advice has been a little more generic (but still helpful). This debt is 12 years old and is now owing around £3k. It was a bank loan and has been passed to several creditors over the years. A payment plan has always been in place and is up to date. I get statements every 6 months. There has never been a CCJ. I have been sent the letters advising of change of ownership. Following my own review of my finances, I decided to contact the current creditor to see if they have a copy of the credit agreement. I regarded this as due diligence as the debt has been sold on several times. The creditor updated me several times saying they had requested the document from the original lender. After 12 months of this they wrote to me saying they had not received it but were still waiting and would send it once received. The last letter was over 6 months ago. I then submitted a freedom of information request to the current and original creditor. The original creditor supplied one, but the current one did not include one in the pack they sent me. I went back to them to ask specifically about this as it was what I requested in my request. They replied saying the debt was sold to them as one without the credit agreement and they did not have it. They have requested it above, so I believe that means they cannot obtain it either for the FOI request. I contacted the original creditor and exercised my ‘right to be forgotten’, under the Data Protection Act, which they have complied with. I also got my up to date credit file and this debt is not showing on it with the current creditor or any others. I contacted the creditor and made them an early settlement offer. They do have an early settlement offer in place on their portal, but I was advised to try to get a reduction via negotiation. I have not heard back from them yet, but I understand through a separate upheld compliant it has or will be refused. Due to this complaint and the creditor putting the account on hold I had stopped payments, and advised them of this. To date, they have not contacted me about resuming payments since the complaint is resolved, but it has only been a few weeks. I am annoyed that they were not honest with me about not having the credit agreement, because that is not being transparent and I understood they should tell you if they do not have it.   I have two questions (but am open to anything else anyone would like to add): 1) Based on the above, does anyone think this account enforceable? I do not think it is? 2) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed? I could resume payments and then settle early. If the above had not happened, I may have just done that. Thank you for any help or input anyone can provide. It is appreciated.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Racial Discrimination: Advocacy Fees and Schedule of Loss

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4604 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please, I would need answers to:

1) What are the likely total fees for an advocate to represent a claimant in a seven day Racial Discrimination hearing at an Employment Tribunal?

2) What is the likely amount to be paid to an advocate accepting a No-Win-No-Fee premise for the same 7 days hearing as in item (1) above?

3) Is there any source through which one can confirm awarded payment on racial discrimination cases? Is it possible an award can be made without the award ever coming to public knowledge? I have asked this question because I would like to know if compensatory payment for racial discrimination could be as high as £1million? If not what are the likely variables to consider.

Thanks!

On the subject of recent tribunal awards, a Personnel Today article last month gave a breakdown of figures over the year from September 2010 to September 2011 and the details are here http://www.xperthr.co.uk/article/110471/race-discrimination-awards-2010-11.aspx

They show that the maximum award in the last year was just over £62,000 and the average payout just over £12,000. That is some way down on previous years awards, but it has always been the case that the largest awards will only be made where the claimant has suffered the most serious type of discrimination resulting in the biggest loss of earnings. By far the biggest part of any award would reflect losses suffered either as a result of the discrimination or where future earnings are likely to be affected, thus, an employee on £200,000 a year and whose career is likely to be affected will be awarded far more than a £20,000 employee.

As far as I am aware Tribunal awards are a matter of public record.

Can't help with the legal costs question, as I guess that it varies wildly depending on who you choose. I can only suggest making a few phone calls and get some outline quotes.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Sidewinder,

Thank you for the lead.

Could you help in understanding the distinction between:

1) racial discrimination as a background claim to unfair dismissal and not a free standing claim.

AND

2) racial discrimination as a free standing claim and unfair dismissal a free standing claim.

Which should be better to argue for during the hearings?

Discrimination is better to argue as the burden is on the employer to prove that they did not discriminate.[this is difficult for the employer to defend/prove]

Where as in unfair dismissal the the burden is on the employee [reversed]to prove that they have been unfairly dismissed.[this is difficult for the employee to prove]

Why do you ask?

Edited by madari

Hello there.

You've asked some quite technical questions which are outside my knowledge and maybe quite a few of the people here. But I'm pleased to see you've had some answers from people in the know here.

To try to progress your question about representation, I'm not sure if by 'advocate' you mean a solicitor or a barrister. As Sidewinder said, to find out solicitor costs you need to ring some, but I would say from posts on the forum that a NWNF one if they accepted the case would want around 30% of the award, possibly plus some disbursements.

Barristers I would guess come in at a four-figure sum for a day. I understood you approach them via a solicitor, but I could be out of date on that.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

The Order that came out was confusing so wanted to seek ideas before requesting the ET where necessary for the Order to be changed to reflect that the claim is on these fronts: (A) Unfair dismissal and (B) Race Discrimination and © Unfair dismissal on the basis of race discrimination. The relevant order that came out that is causing the confusion:

1. Was the Claimant dismissed because of his race. The reference to preceeding matters in the Claim Form is to background rather than any free standing claim.

2. If the Respondent failed to follow a fair procedure should compensation be reduced on the basis that the Claimant would, or might have been, dismissed had a fair procedure been followed.

Discrimination is better to argue as the burden is on the employer to prove that they did not discriminate.[this is difficult for the employer to defend/prove]

Where as in unfair dismissal the the burden is on the employee [reversed]to prove that they have been unfairly dismissed.[this is difficult for the employee to prove]

Why do you ask?

honeybee13,

Thanks for the idea. But is it possible to have a cap on what the Advocate (The legal expert to represent at the Hearing) could receive?

The option for now is on NWNF advocate because our experience showed that some legal experts are fundamentally corrupt and your cant see it written on their heads. When you pay them they might not do so much research and work to ensure you are victorious.

I could borrow money to pay a legal expert if one can be certain that such an individual is to fight for me 100% including looking at the European Law to get extra remedy as it seems that they have messed my career life. No paper evidence to show that they have messed my career but it seems that I would have to be retrained to get a new job and start life afresh which is easier said than done. For the past several years I was confined to doing this routine technical work with no approval from management to allow me develop on any other areas of the business. Now this technical area is limited and someone called me over the phone with withheld number that they dont give job to someone with the potential to take them to ET.

NWNF are the most corrupt, stay well clear !!!!

Sorry to tell you this,but you will find that the only winners that will come out of this are the legal experts and NOT you nor your employer.

Maybe I was not very clear.

The question I wanted to answer is the distinction between (A), (B) and © in my earlier response to you which I had requested and the final ORDER from the CMD which you referenced as number 1? The number two would set in when the ET finds merit in my case.

I would go with the first one [number 1]

You will struggle with Number 2.

Good luck

madari,

I am sorry that my question still lingers on. Let me rephrase it this way. What is the meaning of these statement included with empasis on the underlined words in the Order number 1 above:

The reference to preceeding matters in the Claim Form is to background rather than any free standing claim.

hi,

it simply means that the ET will only consider discriminatory allegations/elements which led tto your dismissal as nothing more than background information.

If i was you i would challenge this and try to bring the discrimination claim to the fore otherwise your case will be very weak.

Without knowing the full basis of your claim i am unable to give any further feedback

Thank you. So any suggestion on what need to be done to ensure that the Discrimination issue is considered independently as well as consider as a contributory factor to the unfair dismissal? The law is just too technical and complicated.

I do not know why the Order was done that way. The Counsel representing the employer raised the issue as to whether racial discrimination was out of time since it was claimed it started several years ago.

The `out of time ` argument is what all employer`s use,it is a common tactic.

I strongly suggest that you seek legal advice as they are obviously trying to confuse you.

I Stress without a valid discrimination claim you are literally wasting your time and money with your case,therefore it is in your interest that you get the CMD order reviewed and amended before it is too late.

May i ask who represented you at the CMD?

Edited by madari