DLA - what are they playing at?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4558 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

Briefly, I'm a 62 year old male, who had to give up work two years ago due to ill health. Decided to put in a claim for DLA about 4 months ago.

Had a knock back. As most people do, I asked that they look at my claim again, they did and again another knock back.

I appealed and sent in a really long and informative report giving more information.

Heard nothing. Then I had a bundle of papers from them which included a copy of the claim form, a GP report and a report from their Medical Services.

Then the fun started. about 6 weeks ago I had my first phone call from the DWP. Had about 4 up to now, with the last being last Friday. It seems the guy who makes the decision is sitting on my claim and appeal and not sending it off to the Tribunal because in his words "I am trying to help you".

Yeah since when does the DWP want to help anybody.

Last Friday he said that he can only hold on to the file for another week before it must go off to the Tribunal and then it's out of his hands.

This guy keeps telling me to send in some/any medical evidence to back up my claim - "just something that I can hang my hat on".

I could never get him to tell me exactly what he wanted.

It seems the GP report came back saying that they don't know if I have any care or mobility problems.

I don't know what to send them. I don't have any evidence that says ' wife has to care for him' 'he can only walk 25 yds'

There is only me and the missus that knows all of that. Looks like I have less than 24 hours to go to send something off but don't know what.

It's no good seeing the GP, as he is a waste of space and I gave up talking to him years ago!

You get more sense out of the chickens at the bottom of my garden! Unless he is part sozzled, then he is anybody's and everybody's friend!!

Anybody know what I can send in. They have had nothing from me so far apart from that report and the claim form.

I do keep copies of every letter from hospitals etc to the GP so I have a good idea what's up with me.

hospital letters should do

too

scan the lot

and send it by email pdf

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

hospital letters should do

too

scan the lot

and send it by email pdf

dx

Yeah thanks for that help.

I though of that as well a while ago, but none of it tells what my needs are, just what they are doing, diagnosis, treatment etc. If you think it will work I will get to the Post Office in the morning and copy them all for say the last 12 months.

I thought they would want things that say what are my needs not what the wrong with me.

i had diff with my special need daughters form

i'd never claimed a penny for her ever

some said try DLA.

i had to do the forms twice

the last time i got a letter saying ' but what are her needs?'

i just copied a whole lot of school reports. college reports, educational needs stuff.

and fired it off

got one call back saying sorry, DLA got given

and now i've got ESA signed off for 18mths too!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

When my hubby filled his forms in recently there was a page for somebody other than him to describe his needs. I am his carer so I filled that page and used it as "a day in the life of" and listed his needs and what he needed me to help with from getting out of bed to getting back into it at night. They accepted my statement ok and his claim was accepted.

:razz:ALWAYS REMEMBER, IF YOU GOT YOURSELF INTO YOUR SITUATION, YOU ARE MORE THAN CAPABLE OF GETTING YOURSELF OUT OF IT

WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE DCA's!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH UPLOADING YOUR IMAGES THROUGH PHOTOBUCKET CLICK HERE

IF I HAVE HELPED YOU OR MADE YOU SMILE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CLICK MY STAR

When my hubby filled his forms in recently there was a page for somebody other than him to describe his needs. I am his carer so I filled that page and used it as "a day in the life of" and listed his needs and what he needed me to help with from getting out of bed to getting back into it at night. They accepted my statement ok and his claim was accepted.

Thanks

At this late stage I would doubt that my missus could add anything that I haven't already included.

Besides which they could see it as a put up job.

So I presume you you never sent in any official evidence which confirmed yours and your wife's staements?

Then I would imagine your GP would have given a report which would have confirmed everything on your behalf without you knowing about it.

That's my trouble, my GP doesn't know the time of day it is, never mind what needs I have. I haven't been to see him for yonks, certainly don't want the job of trying to explain all about my daily problems. That's probably why the DLA got the bad report from him about me.

What seems to be happening is that the DLA are convinced I have needs and mobility problems, the only problem is they just need something to confirm them. The guy at DLA is on the phone more or less saying, "For God's sake, just help me out here and give me something concrete, anything so that I can award you what you are entitled to" .

Don't know that I have anything that says I need this and that. As I said, got everything about the illnesses, but nothing that talks about my needs to confirm what I have claimed for.

I have now been on DLA for 6 years and apart from a very brief report from a consultant right at the beginning they've never asked for any evidence other than what I and my carer put on the renewal forms.

Get your wife to write a 'day in the life' report and send it in, it can't do any harm.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

DLA corresponded directly with my hubbies consultant, occ therapist and Physio, we didn't have to do anything other than filling in the form?

Can I ask, have you seen an Occ therapist?

:razz:ALWAYS REMEMBER, IF YOU GOT YOURSELF INTO YOUR SITUATION, YOU ARE MORE THAN CAPABLE OF GETTING YOURSELF OUT OF IT

I have now been on DLA for 6 years and apart from a very brief report from a consultant right at the beginning they've never asked for any evidence other than what I and my carer put on the renewal forms.

Get your wife to write a 'day in the life' report and send it in, it can't do any harm.

Thanks, they probably got in touch with your GP for a report

DLA corresponded directly with my hubbies consultant, occ therapist and Physio, we didn't have to do anything other than filling in the form?

Can I ask, have you seen an Occ therapist?

Thanks, They tried that, the Consultant they wrote to sent the form back to them with a letter saying it is not hospital policy to give reports for benefit.

No, I haven't. Don't know how to get hold of one.

As I have said, My GP told them a load of bull - because he had no idea about me, said I have no needs - well none he knows about!

Then the Consultant - they think that they are God!

So you see I have nobody that can confirm what needs I have. I have plenty of letters telling me what is wrong with me.

If you contact your local social services, they will put you in touch with the Occ Therapist. (or that is how I contacted them for Hubby!)

It sounds to me like the member of staff at DWP is trying to help you. When I worked in the benefits service, we were all just ordinary people, the sort of people who complain about going to work, look forward to holidays,gossip over tea breaks etc - but I cannot think of many that did not do their level best to get any claimant the money they were entitled to.

You need to meet the member of staff half way, s/ he seems to feel that there is not enough evidence on which to make a claim. Think of it from their point of view - your GP has said you have no care needs, and without some piece of paper from somewhere saying the contrary, what is likely to happen at the tribunal?

Find some evidence - photographs of the house showing how it is adapted to your needs, receipts for aids, letters of diagnosis, statement from the neighbour/vicar/shopkeeper/friend, letters of diagnosis, statement from the car insurance showing you have told them about your driving impairment/medication - even a letter retiring you on ill health - anything that will enable the tribunal to find in your favour!

These would both imply "has disability but no care needs". The diagnosis means nothing and it is possible to get DLA with no diagnosis.

It is possible to get DLA without diagnosis - but I would argue that it is not possible to get DLA without some evidence - and a diagnosis can, in itself, be helpful, in that a diagnosis, and a statement of care needs that fit the diagnosis, is more likely to mean that DLA is granted.

Aids don't have to mean "no care needs". I have a ramp fitted to the front door, that acts as evidence that I struggle to walk and use a wheelchair; I have grab rails on the bath as an OT assessed me as being unable to get out of the bath without them, but they still don't stop me needing another adult present when I use the bath.

It is possible to get DLA without diagnosis - but I would argue that it is not possible to get DLA without some evidence - and a diagnosis can, in itself, be helpful, in that a diagnosis, and a statement of care needs that fit the diagnosis, is more likely to mean that DLA is granted.

Aids don't have to mean "no care needs". I have a ramp fitted to the front door, that acts as evidence that I struggle to walk and use a wheelchair; I have grab rails on the bath as an OT assessed me as being unable to get out of the bath without them, but they still don't stop me needing another adult present when I use the bath.

Thanks for that. You lost me after the second sentence.

Yes that's what I am told by the DLA. To get DLA you need evidence. When I talked to this guy he said that a diagnosis is not any evidence that proves that I have care needs or mobility problem. He actually said that even if I had a severe heart condition for example, backed up with letters from the consultants telling them about it, it still does not mean I have needs. I can sort of see that.

My statement showing what needs I have fits in exactly with the diagnosis and any normal person would assume it to be the case.

Having said that none of this proves a damn thing, well not to the DLA it doesn't.

What he wants is a medic to confirm that due to the diagnosed illness and the symptoms that I have I actually do have these needs that I say I have.

I've only got until tomorrow lunchtime to get something or the claim goes to appeal. And I know that if I can't get these letters of confirmation that what I put in my claim are all true I won't win there either so might as well give up now.

Where do I get that from? Only the missus knows what I am like at home and when I go out, but I doubt they will acceot her word saying it is a put up job.

It sounds to me like the member of staff at DWP is trying to help you. When I worked in the benefits service, we were all just ordinary people, the sort of people who complain about going to work, look forward to holidays,gossip over tea breaks etc - but I cannot think of many that did not do their level best to get any claimant the money they were entitled to.

You need to meet the member of staff half way, s/ he seems to feel that there is not enough evidence on which to make a claim. Think of it from their point of view - your GP has said you have no care needs, and without some piece of paper from somewhere saying the contrary, what is likely to happen at the tribunal?

Find some evidence - photographs of the house showing how it is adapted to your needs, receipts for aids, letters of diagnosis, statement from the neighbour/vicar/shopkeeper/friend, letters of diagnosis, statement from the car insurance showing you have told them about your driving impairment/medication - even a letter retiring you on ill health - anything that will enable the tribunal to find in your favour!

Thanks for that, I appreciate it, but what you have said doesn't mean a thing so I have been told. All that sort of thing does is confirm that I have the illnesses that I have. It also confirms that I have some difficulties, but none of it actually is what this guy has asked me for.

He wants some medic guy or something to certify that what I have said are my needs on the claim form actually exist and are all true.

If it was just as simple as sending off all of my letters from the consultants I would have done, but that is not what he has told me he wants.

I can prove 100's of times over what the diagnosis' are, how I am being treated, what will will happen to me and what are the chances of ever making any sort of recovery, but that don't prove that I can't damn well walk, that I can't bath myself, can't dress myself, need the missus to make sure I take my medication etc does it?

With care needs like these, you should think about giving your local social services a ring. They are responsible for sending out an OT to assess your house - and aids fitted by them count towards DLA!

It won't help this appeal, but there is nothing to stop you reapplying once you have their help.

I know that you say your GP is no help - but with such severe needs it is unusual for your GP not to be aware of the situation, and I can see why DLA are wanting extra evidence. If you don't like your GP - find another one you do get on with, life is so much easier with a supportive GP.

It would also mean that your wife can get help, and would give you access to community transport, a RADAR key, etc!

With care needs like these, you should think about giving your local social services a ring. They are responsible for sending out an OT to assess your house - and aids fitted by them count towards DLA!

It won't help this appeal, but there is nothing to stop you reapplying once you have their help.

I know that you say your GP is no help - but with such severe needs it is unusual for your GP not to be aware of the situation, and I can see why DLA are wanting extra evidence. If you don't like your GP - find another one you do get on with, life is so much easier with a supportive GP.

It would also mean that your wife can get help, and would give you access to community transport, a RADAR key, etc!

Thanks for that. I know you mean well, but the last thing I want is my home to look something like a geriatric hospital ward. The missus would not be too impressed if we had to have handles everywhere, and a stairlift.

It does lok like I am having to give up on this claim doesn't it. Can't see the point in taking it any further.

As for my GP, don't get me started on him! It's a rural area with just his practice. The nearest other GP is about 10 miles away at least.

It's not unusual for me I'll tell you. You have to catch him sometime in mid afternoon to get any sense out of the guy - when he has sobered up!

Been like that for as many years as I can remember and I'm going back to the 80's.

You wouldn't believe the times he has mis diagnosed patients. Take me. 12 months ago told me I have arthritis in my legs and hips. Then I find out after being taken into A&E that it wasn't arthritis but ruddy great big blood clots in the arteries that were causing the problems. Nearly damn well lost my right leg with that one.

Now the medics at the hospital have put me on Warfarin and have to go back because they found a problem with the old ticker (which was diagnosed by the GP as just old age and 'everyone gets out of breath as they get older'.

It is only now that I have been able to get a blue badge as before April this year they went on the GP's report. Now they rely on evidence from hospitals and an assessment by the councils OT.

Well, I gave up. Went to see the GP (mid afternoon!!!) and asked him about being assessed by the council. He said that there was no need to do that, as you seem to be more than able to get about and presumably your wife looks after you OK doesn't she?

Oh yes, but that isn't the point is it? It is when there are many others that are housebound and cannot access mobility because they don't have the funds to buy and run a motor car as you do!

" Well it's not my bloody fault that they don't have someone indoors that can help out and that I worked damned hard to be able to afford a car"

"Ah but there is only so much money available now and it must be priortised to those who are not as fortunate as you"

"Oh FO!!!!!!"

And I walked out

I was just thinking, does having a blue badge mean anything to the DLA? DLA say I have no mobility problems whatsoevever - I can walk in excess of 200 metres.