Issue with housemate and notice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4629 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am in a house share with 1 other who has given me notice to leave the initial period was from the 27th June for a minimum of 3 months he has given me notice via email on 12th September that he is giving me 2 weeks notice and will be moving out on the 24th having taken the verbal notice as being from 10th September.

He is stating he is an excluded occupier and only has to give reasonable notice, and he believes that 2 weeks is reasonable.

Having looked into the definition of an excluded occupier it states that it is someone who lives with the landlord, I am not the owner/landlord just another tenant.

I believe this makes this a periodic tenancy, unfortunately the this person that took on this room did not want a tenancy agreement when he became part of the house share.

I would ask can someone please clarify where we stand on notice period and when he has to give notice I believe it is 1 months notice (the rent is monthly) and is from the date the rent is due therefor from 1st October for 1month. The advert I placed for the houseshare was for a min of 3 months he moved in on the 27th June so has not as yet completed the 3 months.

He stated he did not want a tenancy agreement. The 12 month short hold tenancy ended with current landlord on 1st Novermber 2010 was never renewed
That tenancy is still valid but is now a Statutory Periodic Tenancy (section 5 - 1988 Housing Act). The Tenants on that agreement are 'the tenants'.

It certainly seems that you (and the others named on the AST) are his landlord, and as such he is an excluded occupant. Your landlord (who this person has no contract with) is his 'superior landlord' to coin a legal phrase.

As a lodger, it is what ever you agreed. However, if rent as paid monthly, then I would consider a month to be reasonable.

The lodgers claim about 'reasonable notice' is a reference to the Protection from Eviction Act 1977 and refers to the notice the landlord must give to the tenant, not vice versa.

Go for that, if he isn't happy, he will have to sue for however much of the deposit you retain. I wouldn't rate his chances.

If I may, I would also suggest you keep out of tenancy matters in the future if the next occupier is to be a joint tenant with you, then get the landlord to get all the paperwork sorted out to ensure everything is legal and correct.