• Tweets

• Yeah I figured, unlikely I'll need credit anyway mortgage all paid off etc so I'll take that on the chin and learn from the experience. Probably would've beaten that too had I remembered the protocol, first time ever going through the process though sob it wasn't familiar to me  Oh well  
    • This is my slightly amended WS taking on board your previous comments, any suggestions for amendments would be most appreciated.  Thank you for you time.   1.        I am the Defendant in this matter. 2.        The facts in this statement come from my personal knowledge. 3.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020. 4.        The alleged Letter of Claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address. 5.        The Judgement debt was not familiar to me so I began investigations to ascertain what the debt related to and how such a figure had been equated in any event. 6.        I made immediate contact with the Court, the Claimant Solicitors and the Claimants thereafter, asking them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.  7.        I sent a Data Subject access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided – See appendix 1 which details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclaycard as well as copies of correspondence between us. 8.        I do not admit to entering an agreement with Barclaycard in 2000. 9.       The claimant has failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis and therefore this claim should be automatically struck out.  10.    The claimants have failed to disclose a true executed copy of the original agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim. They are not entitled to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974 12.   The reconstituted standard Barclaycard agreement that the claimant has included in the court bundle does not satisfy any CCA request and so the claimant is and remains in default of my CCA request and therefore unable to enforce the alleged agreement. 13.  The claimants have failed to provide proof the assignment, such as a deed of assignment. 14.  The claimant has failed to provide a statement of account setting out how the alleged debt accrued under that agreement 15.   Despite numerous requests to the claimant, I have still not seen any evidence, such as an original agreement or deed of assignment, that substantiates the claimant’s assertion that I owe the debt to the claimant, nor evidence of how the debt was accrued. 16.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.
    • A set aside application costs £275 which is more than the judgement so not worth it. Not that they would grant a set aside anyway.  Set asides are granted, for example, to people who moved and didn't get the court papers, so have a genuine reason for not defending.  Forgetting doesn't count. Your only choices are to pay up within 30 days, or defy the court and not pay.  If the latter, we've never seen a PPC enforce judgement for a single ticket, ever, you would get away without paying - but you would have a CCJ and a knackered credit file for six years.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Corgi Homecare

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4022 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I just stumbled across this thread whilst researching Corgi Homeplan on Google following a phone call from them this morning demanding money I don't feel I should have to pay them! Anyway, I just wanted to let you know about my bad experience with them and also to ask if anyone knows how I stand here - am I going to have to pay them the £95.56? Thank you in advance and here is my story -

I recently cancelled my direct debit with Corgi (I have been paying it since November last year) due to the terrible service which I received from them. I have now been informed that (as I had a callout in the first 12 months) they want me to pay an extra £95.56. I am not happy at all about this due to the fact that nothing that they did for me was acceptable. Firstly, I phoned up regarding my faulty boiler on Friday 20th January and was told that someone would call me back and my boiler would be looked at within 24 hours. I did not receive so much as a call back within this time (despite calling the helpline again the next afternoon). When I then phoned back after 24 hours to the helpline I was told that someone would call the next day between 7 and 10 am. I was not surprised to find that this did not happen and was then told that someone would call the next day (Monday) first thing. Finally the plumber called me at around 10am (not a time I would describe as "first thing") and then came round. He said that he could fix whatever was wrong and, to be fair to him, came back the next day with the parts he required. However, following this repair, the boiler was still not working and when I called back someone from a different company came out. He did not even look at the boiler but instead told me that the problems were all down to the way that the condensate pipe was fitted and that my heating would probably start working again (but that eventually the pipe would need fixed). The next day my boiler stopped working completely so I had to get British Gas out to fix it as I really cannot be without heat due to the fact that I have a baby son to think about! British Gas found the fault that the Corgi engineers had not and fixed it the next day. I now have heating again and have taken out a new contract with British Gas as I feel I can trust them. Following the expense of them having to fix what should have been fixed during the Corgi engineers visits I am not impressed at all that they now expect me to pay an additional £95.56 when they were not actually any help to me at all! Anyway, I explained all this to the lady chasing up the money on the phone this morning and a manager is phoning me on Monday but thought I would post my story here in the meantime!

Kelly

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrible service.... i try to tell folk to stay way from this outfit...

Anyway my advice would be when they ring on monday threaten them with a small claim for breach of contract through the small claims court. Thursday til monday with no contact i would deem unreasonable, coupled with their 'promises'.

it costs about £40 to raise a small claim online...... now if they contest, they would need to employ local solicitor to fight on their behalf, if you live in england thts great as they are based in scotland!!

my feelin is once they recieve such documentation, they would go quiet, and call you to say the cancellation fee dont apply.

the contract is you pay, they repair (within a reasonable period of time).

if you feel they have breached then this is your get out clause.

come back and let us know how you got on!

thanks

Hi,

I called them on Sunday 19th Feb @ around 4pm to report a fault on my boiler. Heating working but the hot water was luke warm!

Was told that i would get a phone call on Monday morning from the engineer. No call received!

Will wait to see how long before I get a call!

I am looking to cancel and I think will proceed and if they make a fuss will take them to the small claims court as i have no intention of paying the admin fee.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Sorry I didn't get back before now but I'm still waiting on the phonecall I was meant to get from Corgi two weeks ago come Monday! I don't know what this means!

Kelly

Hi

Sorry I didn't get back before now but I'm still waiting on the phonecall I was meant to get from Corgi two weeks ago come Monday! I don't know what this means!

Kelly

It means one of two things....

they are rubbish

or they have more customers than staff to cope with the demand.

I received an email from them saying that they will refund the monthly fees for me since October 2011, total of 5 months.

I signed up with Brit Gas at £15 per month. I called them out as I was not getting any hot water!

Brit Gas informed me that my Diverter Valve on the Vaillant Combi needed replacing. £270 including labour for 1.5hrs!!

Obviously I googled local central heating parts supplier and obtained one for £107 inc vat and paid £50 labour to a gas safe registered engineer to install it for me!

I will be now requesting that Corgi Homeplan reimburse me this cost of £157! Wish me luck!

• 10 months later...

I have had a Corgi Homecare Plan I pay £19.99 per month and have always felt a bit suspicious as they never send out any paperwork. I was under the impression that this was linked to the CORGI (registration for plumbers etc) hence I joined. They took some time to carry out the initial inspection to service my boiler. The man who finally attended did not want to get into conversation or answer queries I had re pressure and left no paperwork or offered a check list of what he had done.I have just had to call them out to look at my boiler which was losing all pressure. I reported the fault on Friday and had to make a total of 6 calls but no one ever called me back. I got various conflicting excuses when I called to enquire about the progress of my call out. Eventually when I had to be assertive on Sunday, I was called by an engineer who was actually helpful and said he knew what the fault was ordered the part and that was fitted yesterday. But I waited 3 days before anyone came to my home. I thought I would check on line today to see if there were any other messages or complaints about this company and found this website and the thread. I was going to make a formal complaint to the company. Sadly several years ago I was badly let down by British Gas and cancelled my agreement and I would love to know of a good reputeable company who offer this sort of service at a reasonable price. I supected this company were not professional and it appers I was right is there a professional body I can make a complaint to? Does anyone know?

£ORGI are still using stolen data to promote their service and of course they are no longer the currently approved body for the HSE, the Gas Safe Register is.

I have a number of honeypot addresses out there catching the £ORGI mailshots and last month they sent out mailshots boasting they were dropping their fees from £34 per month to £16.99 per month. The previous month the same mailshot said £16.99 and that surely must be a trade-descriptions rip-off. If the moderator would like to contact me I can supply scanned images where I have posted them on one of my websites.

As an aside I am engaged in battle with British Gas over my shoddy cavity wall insulation having discovered major voids in the work. A dedicated ‘british gas insulation’ website is now set up with full details.

What I ordinarily recommend is for customer to adopt the boiler manufacturer’s own scheme for maintenance. They have the expertise and carry the parts. Most manufacturers have schemes. Which boiler is yours ?

Gosh Les that was quick! Mine is a Worcester Greenstar - I am so glad I found this website and all the other messages relating to Corgi another Great British [problem]. I have tried to contact the engineer directly today as the pressure guage mechanism is not working properly and there has been a slow drip from the boiler today. Once I get all this sorted I am going to cancel and go elsewhere. Thanks for your very prompt feedback

Although I do not use WB (we all have our favourites) the Greenstar is a superb boiler and WB themselves run a superb scheme. The Greenstar is very well known. Probably one of the best. I got my neighbour (and others) on that scheme.

Curiously £ORGI literature refers to their own scheme as more favourable than WB which IMO it certainly is not. They say WB do not cover external controls which is not true if the external controls are their own fitted with the boiler. Another £ORGI porkie.

They are masters at tosh, waffle and mendacious tarradiddle. I have almost written a book on them and will get around to it one day. The main thing is, they will not be back to haunt us as they did.

By the by. The £ORGI scheme was diverting to the ‘Green Installer’ website but that has now changed. I have started to work on the details at Companies House but I am short of time. I am trying to find a bookie to lay odds on £ORGI being here this time next year.

Write-off the loss on £ORGI and sign up with WB.

Val, change from them as soon as possible. They are total con artist! I am surprised they are still trading!

They use local trades man to service your boiler. These 'engineers' are not their own.

I cancelled and signed up to British Gas. I have been also tole that the Heateam provide a good cover policy

When £ORGI lost the contract (Capita plc running Gas Safe Register) they retained all the names they had on their database. They should not have done but official sources are corrupt in allowing them to continue to use data for purposes other than that which it was collected. My name was on their list as well as a ‘member’. I instructed them to remove it. I have never been a member of £ORGI and never will be. I was registered as required by law but never a member. Check the £ORGI website and see how many people are close to your postcode.

Heateam is good. It is another manufacturer-run scheme. BAXI (now owned by the Dutch Remeha). AFAIK they only serve BAXI and related manufacturers (Potterton and many others included).

Glow-worm also have a scheme for their boilers and related manufacturers and there are also many there.

Hi all just wanted to explain issues we have had with Corgito make people aware, have sent them a complaint e-mail. This explains my story :

i would like to make a formal complaint, after having a service done through yourselves on Thursday 17 Januaray 2013. We woke up on Saturday 19th Januaray to the boiler leaking, no hot water and no heating. I telephoned Corgi at 12pm they said they would log the call and get the engineer to contact me. at 14.25 the engineer that did the service contacted myself and explained to me that he didnt work on weekends, i explained this wasnt good enough, so ran corgi again. After been told the same story ( an engineer would contact me), i waited again. i got a telephone call at 15.45 from enigneer saying that he would not be able to come out till monday as he was now in Birmingham. Again i said this wasnt good enough and again i rang corgi to be told the same story. It got to 17.50 without any phone call from anybody, so i rang again, this time i got the out of hours department to which i had to explain everything again to, but yet again i got the same response, by now the pressure on the boiler had gone past the red mark and was becoming dangerous.

Sunday morning we were still waiting for an engineer to contact us, so we took the decision to get a look reputable engineer to come out, at a cost of £80. He came out witihin the hour, and to our astonishment explained that when the boiler had been serviced the filler loop hadnt been closed off correctly, which is why the boiler was constantly filing up making the pressure rise considerably, he also asked me for the paperwork that the engineer had left me after servicing hte boiler, i explained he hadnt left me anything. This engineer informed us that this was breaking the regulations as those readouts should be kept by the property owner for there records, i think the way in which the myself and my husband have been treated is disgraceful, we have paid £19.99 per month since moving into this property and have had terrible service.

My boiler needs fixing as a matter of urgency, as it should not have been lft in the state is was in the first place, in living in this property for 18 months we havent had one problem with it, quite surprising that once it has been serviced we have a weekend of hell.

I would be grateful for an immieditae repsonse to this email

Stacey Ivey

Disgraceful and totally unacceptable but you were never at any risk, save from a seemingly less than competent installer. The sketch below illustrates the main features for the benefit of lay visitors.

As many will know the filling loop is how you top-up a sealed system (combi) and they should be removed when a system is filled. That has its roots in (potable) water regulations rather than gas safety regulations (backflow prevention). Once removed the open ends should be capped off. They supply one but not two. I use my own more robust caps anyway.

If your pressure gauge hits the red, where the gauge is coloured, the safety valve opens and relieves the pressure. That suggests you have a decent water supply pressure upwards of 3 bar.

You too may wish to consider an alternative scheme and you will do no better than the manufacturer’s own.

There is no regulation whatsoever that requires paperwork to be left following a service, though you are always to be advised to get a receipt. There may (or may not) be a Benchmark logbook on-site and you could ask the installer to fill that in like the service book in a car. By definition there should be paperwork for a gas safety check and it is mandatory for a Landlord Gas Safety Check.

Any consumer can get the best advice off the Gas Safe Register.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40850[/ATTACH]

Hi to all

elderly widow age 75 has valliant boiler installed approx 3 years ago. showed fault f75 no heating, on corgi homecare plan for 14 months not yet had service. called corgi who advise increase pressure. boiler then started leaking, no hot water no heating. now no water ascustomer terrified leak will cause damage to electrics so has got someone to turn water supply off. Fault reported 72 hours ago. Dealings with Corgi HC so far:

DAY 1

Initial fault reported: advised engineer will call within 24 hours to say when he will visit.

2 hour later still no contact - called corgi to try to escalate - unhelpful - talk to supervisor who "stresses" plan says within 24 hours. States job is with engineer. After much debating agrees to chase eng to check when eng will come. States eng will be on site within 1hr 45mins.

20 mins later eng phones advises he is 15 miles away and will aim to get there this pm. explain fault code - eng admits he suspects fault needs a part he will need to order but will visit this pm to try to assess fault.

2 hours later no eng. call engineer direct who advises he is now 25 miles away and stuck. unable to say if he will attend.

call corgi who again continue with "24 hours" adding impassable roads and weather and lots of elderly without heating. Supervisors

not available. Find out within fault "area" 140 jobs and only 7 engineers.

2 hours later no visit contact corgi to be told job with engineer, now his responsibility and he will call before visit. Ask when? Answer is uncontrollable weather, bad roads, stressed engineers as there are too many faults.

Engineer no longer answering calls on his mobile.

DAY 2

No engineer, no contact from Corgi.

Call at 6pm to be advised it will be escalated to "operations"and eng may still call as they are working until 23.00. Am surprised as is still snowing heavily and temperatures below zero. Phone advisor appears not to have details of fault and requests events so far to be re-explained.Call ended with CSA advising he will send note through to operations and mark as urgent as now >24 hours and vulnerable customer.

DAY 3

No engineer, no contact from Corgi. Call at 7pm to be advised by advisor we are out of hours service and we dont have details of customers or faults as we are contracted to answer phone queries for Corgi outside their working hours. Ask to be put through to 24/7 helpline. That is us is the reply. Request supervisor thinking they must have access to check progress. Supervisor confirms he is part of a company called "Office Response" who are answering the helpline on behalf of Corgi HC. Both of these people were very polite and empathic, prompt and wanted to listen BUT do not have access to Corgi info so cant give me any update. Cant chase engineer, cant tell me anything at all. Supervisor apologises and says he will put urgent request through to operations for me to be contacted tonight on behalf of customer.

Now >72 hours since fault reported.

Pensioner living in one room with borrowed fan heater. Stoically mellting snow to use to flush toilet and going out for walks to keep warm. As fourth night of freezing temparatures is starting to feel the cold.

As a consumer - what would be a reasonable period of time for Corgi to deal with this fault before they would be in breach of contract under provision of services? realise this reasonable time will be extended due to current weather being uncontrollable?

How would customer go about charging corgi for breach of contract/compensation?

Who can we complain to as we feel they are advertising a service that they know they do not have a hope in hell delivering during cold snaps as they sub-contract engineers who do not exclusively work for them. And hey busiest time for gas engineers has to be during cold times. Is there an organisation like off-com who can investigate?

Or any consumer rights organisations/advocates?

Many thanks

Nurse whose elderly neighbour has no heating and has paid over £250 pounds to Corgi to insure against loss of heating.

Have also researched company and am aware they are green installer, have a complaint against them upheld by ASA and a statement from Which advising Which feel Corgi have misled customers by saying Corgi are endorsed by Which. Am also aware above customer my neighbour went with them because of the corgi name as did lots of other consumers - take a look at the testimonials on their website - surely that is not good business practice to trade on a reputation that is not yours....

Many thanks for anyone who can help,

Realise engineers prior to GSR were CORGI registered and so corgi h/c are using registered engineers who meet the corgi standard so yes in that way it is "corgi" homecare but I feel as a consumer this would mislead me.

All nurses trained in the UK are trained by the NHS (as placements take place in NHS organisations except one "elective" placement). But that does not mean I could open a private nursing home, use nurses trained in the UK and call it an NHS home service.

Maybe I am niaive but I can not see the difference between the 2 examples ...

I will have to ponder this lot on the morrow if I am to be accurate but surely the first priority (as you know) is to ensure the safety of the lady. If it was me I would be pulling out and enrolling in Vaillant’s own service scheme to get the show back on the road ASAP. But it is not my money and I do not know the Lady’s circumstances. Relatives ?

Vaillant (not Valliant) will easily be found with your favourite search engine.

Home owner of ex council house (her home for all her married life and beyond it). No immediate relatives. A deaf brother in law who is in a care home. Offerred for her to stay with me but she is worried about her home not being secure. Have offerred to lend her the money indefinately to get a local company in but she won't accept it. She is very independent and declines assistance if she can manage any way on her own. She has only agreed for me to chase with Corgi as they confused her when she initially called to report the fault asking her to undertake equipment checks and she was without heating for 24 hours before I found out she had tried to report it to Corgi and had been unsuccessful. This wish to be independent and to see assistance as "not coping" is quite common for older people and at times this can contribute to their vulnerability. Have looked at British gas service cover and its no callout within 14 days of policy as are homeserve. Most definately I will assist her to change her policy once the boiler is fixed. I assume if she pulls out, her contract with Corgi is null and void and they no longer have a responsibility to repair her boiler? She also tells me she feels "like a foolish old woman" as she swapped her policy to Corgi thinking they would be better than her previous policy with southern electric as they were in her own words "the gas people". This is why I don't want to leave it as a bad experience. I want Corgi to take responsibility for what I feel is inadequate service provision. Maybe I am wrong and this is standard provision of service. My only experience of these kinds of cover are BG who have always given an appointment to me when I have called, if no heating they have always visited the same day and if unable to repair it there and then it has been within 1 or 2 days. They have also asked me my circumstances and when I had a small baby prioritised me and on a snowy dark Friday evening attended within an hour of me reporting the fault. Longer lead time when it was loss of hot water last July which was not an issue for me as it was in our few days of summer. If Corgi were able to say to me initially when I called due to number of faults we will call Sunday, or even attempted to keep Mrs W informed daily of what was happening with her fault i expect I would feel marginally happier they were taking their responsibilities seriously. To pass the buck on Friday evening and saying its the engineers responsibility now is not what I call fair as Mrs W's contract is with Corgi not the local sub contracted engineer. If her contract was directly with the local engineer I am pretty sure he would have kept in contact or even have fixed the boiler by now as Mrs W would be the one paying him. It appears to me Corgi are advertising a service without the network to provide or manage it. No local on the ground Corgi employed or retained engineers or supervisors. the engineers they are using appear to be self employed local small businesses. I know the name of the engineer, his business' name and profile who had the fault on Friday. I am unwilling to put it here as he is GSR registered, has no negative feedback on research and to be fair right now will be his busiest time and he probably agreed to provide services to Corgi in order to get steady work during slow periods not thinking a company promoting national coverage would not have a contingency plan for peak periods.

Tomorrow if Corgi do not respond appropriately I will be calling the local firm who installed the boiler and instruct them to repair it using my credit card and will take the anger of Mrs W as she can't continue like this. Unfortunately the local firm are only available m-f 9-5.

I have looked at Vaillant website and need to call them for details of their cover, this I will do and if they will attend on cover policy straight away and have 24/7 cover I will recommend Mrs W goes with them.

Thanks for the info re: boiler companies having their own plans, didn't know this. My own boiler is ancient and I need to change it soon. Mrs W's situation has opened my eyes to these services.

Thank you for giving the time to provide some advice.

My youngest son's school is shut tomorrow and I am at work so my ploy is to ask Mrs W to babysit instead of his older siblings so she can enjoy the heat and rumblings of my ancient boiler.

Edited by noheating
wrong word

As is often the case in these situations it is frustrating to witness the pain being endured by this 75 year old and being unable to do anything to help. It would obviously not be helpful to expect her to do what I would do, which would involve the County Court. I can only wish you and her luck when moving forward. But I will offer what I can that may help her via you on my next posting.

First a bit of background and advice for all consumers in re such matters. Being registered to work on gas is a licence, not a qualification. That applied when CORGI was running the scheme (for the HSE) and applies now with the Gas Safe Register, which is completely separate and owned by the HSE. You can trust Gas Safe absolutely.

I have a licence to drive. That does not mean I am a good driver. That is a matter of opinion. The same applies to gas. I have a licence for gas but as with driving I am restricted to certain categories. The same applies to all who are registered and it is businesses that are registered, not individuals.

People licensed to work on gas have different backgrounds. Electrical, kitchen fitters, heating engineers, plumbers, catering companies and many more. Any of those people may learn, take a test and get a licence to work on domestic boilers. I have vast experience on related topics but I would not rate myself on boiler diagnostics per se for example. As I recall there are almost 100 categories of work.

I also have a lifetime of experience in consumer affairs and have been in pursuit of CORGI for over a decade when they were the ‘currently approved body’ for the HSE. Cowboys then and according to all these reports, cowboys now.

CORGI always referred to registered businesses as ‘Installers’ but that metamorphosed into the word ‘Member’. That seemed to happen as a new and aspiring Association of Registered Gas Installers (ARGI) appeared (I have no connection with ARGI). It is possible CORGI were anticipating getting the elbow from the HSE.

Starting in 2009 CORGI made it mandatory for all Registered Gas Installers to notify them of gas installations on pain of being struck-off. I refused because I knew CORGI was corrupt to the core. CORGI promised (I have the letter) they would not use and abuse the data but they did of course as I knew they would. The authorities took no action whatsoever and that is why your lady is suffering.

When her three year old Vaillant boiler (a good boiler) was installed the installation company notified CORGI (check) and CORGI will have stolen her details and contacted her, addressing her no doubt as Dear Vaillant Boiler Owner, which is how they circumvent the deep-seated corruption in the system. The Information Commissioner useless and toothless.

Following CORGI’s twists and turns in business matters would require a forensic accountant but amongst many other things they retained (without permission) the register of businesses and put them forward to Joe Public as their ‘Members’. That included me until I instructed them to remove my name. What others have done I do not know but to get some idea of their body of ‘members’ you could try a search using various post codes on their website. Anyone can do that and see how near they are.

The tradespeople found are not necessarily on the HomePlan (no longer HomeCare) scheme as that will cost the tradespeople money. And HomePlan does not now seem to be redirecting to the Green Installer site (which once claimed an association with FOE but do not seem to now). The Green Installer site seems very secretive now with all contact by form-mail. All a bit weird.

I will end this posting and compose another relating to what can be done.

Without seeing the Lady’s contract with CORGI I obviously cannot comment. No one can without seeing the contract. That could be a job for Citizens Advice or a law centre.

If you are determined to take action yourself which I have been doing for many years for people, working pro bono then there is much you can do which might bring pressure to bear. First you need a carefully crafted contemporaneous record. Detailed as possible and as brief as possible without losing important detail. Essentially a report of complaint to CORGI. that could include data on how CORGI stole her details. Take your time and do it right. Make sure it is accurate as possible. Refer to CAG.

NB: I once went after British Gas for a delightful retired Polish couple who were being bullied. A local merchant put them in touch with me and I worked pro bono (but they insisted on donating to charity after). What really nailed BG was the Lady’s extraordinarily detailed contemporaneous record which was the ammunition I needed and I nailed them well and truly to the barn door. They got a good and just result plus they were given long overdue respect. That makes it all worthwhile.

Next, the best bit, carpet-bombing I call it and it works like a dream. I send copies to anyone who might remotely have an interest in this Lady’s plight. Obviously email would be cheaper in which case you could make the report into a PDF document. Copies to:

The Lady’s MP

The Scottish Parliament (Scottish Registered Company)

WHICH

Age Concern

Citizens Advice

Trading Standards Central

Gas Safe Register

Health and Safety Commission (not Executive)

Check with FSA as it is insurance

Trade Magazines

• Heating and Plumbing Monthly
  • H&V News
  • Heating Ventilating and Plumbing
  • PHAM News

Age UK

BBC Watchdog (Features – Rogue Traders) and related stuff on all channels

IPHEE (Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering)

APHC (Association of Plumbing and Heating Contractors)

IDHEE (Institute of Domestic Heating and Environmental Engineers)

Compile a list and get friends to suggest people. Make sure CORGI know who’s on the list as c.c..

If you hear of anyone else in the same plight, pass on the data. Create a bad smell and put them under pressure. Maintain the pressure. Some organisations don’t publish email addresses. Try asking them a question using their form mail and you invariably get an email back.

Keep the list and if you need to write again, copy everyone in again. Hopefully CORGI will get the message and give refund if that is what the Lady wants. I am sure you will find out what she wants. Not me or anyone else but her.

These issues of bullying and injustice can make us very angry and the first instinct is to grab the phone and rip a head off. A waste of time and effort and can cost you lots of money. I used to as well. I call my method now taking a long slow accurate aim before releasing the carpet-bombing. The effects can be devastating for those on the other end and that is what we want.

As a 75 year old retuning to the UK after 40+ years as an expat, I took up occupancy of a house which had a boiler maintenance contract with a local (Corgi Registered) company under which the annual inspection was a month overdue. Within days of arriving I received an information pack identifying the boiler fitted at the property and offering me comprehensive Home Cover and because the annual inspection was due accepted a contract which I assumed was with the same organisation which installed and maintained the boiler. I gave a Direct Debit authorisation for £4.99 in Jan and £19.99 thereafter.

I subsequently found that the annual maintenance would not be performed until approx. 10 months after commencement of the contract and that I could make call out if a problem occurred after commencement of cover on 2-Feb-2013. In the same telecon I was offered a "Manager Special Deal" to extend the cover for five years, there was no reference to this in the acceptance letter, only an increase from £16,99 to £19,99.

I became suspicious of Company and did some checking on this webpage which quickly made me realise that I had been completely duped by the Corgi HomePlan Plus advertising blurb and that they had no connection with the original installer and service provider - and that the standard of service this Company provides is far from satisfactory.

Realising that I needed to disentangle myself from Gorgi I informed them that I did not wish to proceed with the policy and cancelled my Direct Debit. I assumed that as cover had not started I was within my rights to do so.

I would appreciate learning of the experience of anyone else who has a similar experience and how successful they were in cancelling their contract and at what cost.

I have contacted the old cover provider to recommence their policy.

If they have not had any expense (engineers out) and you have cancelled your direct debit I would not worry about it. You have properly informed them I gather. Leave it at that and get on with your life. Colder and wetter than you have been used to but at least we have water.

Any grief from £ORGI let us know and we can take a fresh look. I get emailed when there is a posting and no doubt others do.

Hi, Have read Blog with interest. My mum (82 years old) has just had unsolicited mail from a company named Corgi Home plan, addressed to " Ideal condensing boiler owner" then her address. It was trying to sell her a 2year servicing contract at a special half price offer. It all sounded suspicious with its use of the name Corgi and pushing of a half price offer and meaningless graphics, so I told her not to do anything 'til I checked it out. The company address is Dunfermline so it seems to mirror the Corgi Homecare company mentioned earlier. Can anyone advise me please whether I am correct to be worried or not. Thanks. KB