AMEX bombard me with 30 calls a day!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6449 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

American Express have been bombarding me with up to 30 calls a day from 9am to 9pm on my home phone and mobile phone - seven days a week!

I write to them regularly and in my last letter, wrote to them stating that I will only deal with them in writing as EVERY telephone call I have made to them, they have either got my instructions wrong, lied to me and completely disregarded my requests (freeze interest and cancel a direct debit)!

They keep sending letters asking for me to call them as my account is in danger of "serious consequences", but I keep advising them of my change in financial situation and repeatedly asked for their assistance IN WRITING but these are ignored!

I cannot believe this is acceptable behaviour in any sphere! I can be at home and my mobile will go off then the home phone will go off and then 15 mins later the same thing will happen, all day every day. When I make or receive a call from friends/family, they immediately bombard me within minutes! I refuse to answer the phone and will be changing my number because of it - to the inconvenience to all that know me. This should not be allowed. :x

Any help/advice what to do next is welcome!

Roni

04.10.06 Preliminary Letter sent on account (1) for £1,085 with Schedule giving 14 days to comply. (Luckily, found all statements for this account).

09.10.06 2-year statements received requested from Abbey website 02.10.06 all separate envelopes

16.10.06 Acknowledgement of prelim/complaint received from M Winder. Goodwill gesture made for £788.00 (not had time to follow up)

08.11.06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent on account (2).

If you have CLI on your phone line and phone, you can ignore calls from bumbers you do not recognise.

I think it's also possible to set up some answering machines (and computer modems) to automatically answer unidentified calls with a message, telling the caller they must call from an identifiable number.

Tim

I have used this for CapQuest - they still call 3 times a day...i never answer but thats not the point!

do they have to act on this letter or can they ignor it and continue?

People who haven't made mistakes, haven't made anything!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Michael and all,

Trading Standards advised me to contact the OFT as my complaint to AMEX was not responded to in writing, but unbelievably by text asking me to call them immediately.

Since informing AMEX of taking my complaint further, I have had no calls from them, but daily letters asking for me to call them and to provide alternative contact telephone numbers (home, work, mobile)! Will they never learn!

I will take matters further and keep you informed of developments.

Roni

04.10.06 Preliminary Letter sent on account (1) for £1,085 with Schedule giving 14 days to comply. (Luckily, found all statements for this account).

09.10.06 2-year statements received requested from Abbey website 02.10.06 all separate envelopes

16.10.06 Acknowledgement of prelim/complaint received from M Winder. Goodwill gesture made for £788.00 (not had time to follow up)

They're not alone - do remmber, there's no person targeting you it's an automated process that pre-dials your number, and olny if you answer is the call passed to a human. These attempted calls are not logged in the conventional sense - they're treated by the system as a failed call, and it'll then call the next number until it's time to call you again. They think nothing of this, but if they call your mobile number when youre abroad all these attempts can be chargeable whether you answer them or not.

Thanks for enlightening me to that! Its absolutely terrible!

I had numerous voicemail messages left on my BT Call Minder - where they leave date, time to the second, and short "scripted" message. Otherwise, its calls from AMEX head office, and various corporate mobiles (first five numbers blatantly obvious), calls displayed as "private number calling" then the round again - AMEX head office in Brighton. 7 days a week, both phones going all day - on the hour every hour! I couldn't unplug the phone as my parents are elderly and I need to be in constant contact - so you can imagine the stress of jumping up and checking the caller display every time the phone rang to see if it was my parents or not, but kept a log of their intrusion! :mad:

I have written to everyone, CAB, OFT, Financial Services Ombudsman, even Brighton City Council as AMEX is in their district - I can't be the first person to complain to their Trading Standards department. The calls have stopped for now, but reading the other threads, I may be in for a repeat performance if I don't tackle them now! :mad:

Roni

I know you're right Okonski, I just can't help thinking of the hassle of changing my number with all-and-sundry who have it, including friends, family and other organisations I'm a member of. I will do it eventually, but feel I need to start some form of action against them first (following on from my complaints and with CAB/CCCS help), and if they start calling again, that would be evidence to back up my case! The daily letters won't stop! I just want them to shut up once and for all - I've stated my case, they ignore it - so there's only one way to deal with them! My bank and their charges will be next!

Roni

With mobiles and VoIP, folk are holding onto their numbers for less time than the tradition of a number lasting a family for their family home for life. Why SHOULD you have to change just because some snotty firm takes delight in harassing you and disrupting the household?

Here's some solutiuons;

(1) Use Caller Display to identify incoming calls

(2) Subscribe to ACR (Anonymous Call Rejection) it blocks all 'Unobtainable' numbers.

(3) If a BT customer, subscribe to 'Call Sign' this gives you an additional telephone number on the same line. Give out this temporary number for the folk who need to contact you, and block calls to your old number for a month or so until the call centre gets the message. Once over, unblock your original number and off you go!

Thanks again for that Okonski,

I have caller display but had forgot about Call Sign. I will contact BT and get signed up! You're right, it is worth having the peace of mind and peace at home by giving out the new number to friends and family - at least I know all others will be calling on the old number and can block calls from AMEX!

Roni

My pleasure - the most useful thing is it is so cheap to use and discard when the crisis is over. If you REALLY want to be flash, you can pick up a 'Call Sign' adaptor on eBay for around £2. This plugs into your BT socket and provides sockets for Line 1 and Line 2. Stick an answering machine (or Call Minder on your existing line and have a phone plugged in with the bell/ringer turned off, you can then check for interrupted dial tone. Plug your usual phone into L2, and you'll know any time it rings, it'll either be a family member or a wrong number!