Advice re job share problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4635 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all! could anyone give me any advice even if its just what you would do in this situation ..will try to keep it factual and brief!

Took a job share two years ago ,during this time have always filled in for A as I shall call her and never rang in sick!

When ever I work extra most of what I earn gets taken away in tax, NI and extra transport costs and sometimes I can even be out of pocket!. I accept that its in the job share contract that I have to do this from time to time!

It takes me 1.15 hours to travel to work by bus. A lives close to the job does two easy days a week but even thats too much for her! and she is never available to fill in for me[i have had to take my holidays at a time convienient for her] ,she rings in sick and I have go running in to work!

I am coming to the end of a weeks holiday and annoyed with A ,last week she called in sick [i had a feeling she would] a manager had to sit in for her!

My holiday has been ruined by stress and worry!as whenever A is not there I come back to mess to sort out. I need to know what rights I have if any!..I need to protect any money I have coming in and feel like I'm subsidising A who just wants an easy life and paying for it too. She has already told me to be available in Oct as she needs to go to a wedding!!!

Would it be wrong to say to my employer "fair enough I dont mind running in but as I'm out of pocket could you consider paying towards my transport ?, Should I raise a grievance? would this help the employer in dealing with A ? or should I just look for another job!

I do actually like the job and my manager is good! she knows the situation with A and even warned me to make sure I get all my hols as A will make sure she gets every hour due to her!

Hi!

I don't think that it's at all wrong to ask your employer to pay towards your transport. The worst thing they can do is say no. From your message it sounds like you're an asset to them and if you're doing them a favour by coming in when you don't have to, then it would be a kind gesture for them to help you with transport costs.

Would it be possible to sit down with your manager and talk to her about this? It's very unfair that you should end up out of pocket when you're helping them out.

As for the grievance, on what grounds are you wanting to raise it on? I don't have a lot of HR experience but from what I can see, there isn't a lot here that you could use as grounds. Yes, her sickness is very annoying and I can see how it would be irritating that she always gets what she wants but unless she's actually doing something that's against company policy or what would be considered bullying/harassment then it could possibly be hard to take it to grievance level.

How does she book her holidays? if you have a rough idea at the start of the finanical year as to what holidays you want to take for the rest of the year, why not get in there first and book them all at once if your company allows?

She is obviously not performing to standard in her job, judging by what you're saying about her sickness record and the way you feel like you come in to a mess which could possibly be grounds for some sort of disciplinary action but that would have to be raised by your manager to whomever deals with your HR.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for your reply Kennedy!

Went in to work today and A now has a sick note so I was asked to fill in for the rest of the week, the problem being that I'd already brought todays bus ticket thinking she'd be back so miss out on getting a cheaper weekly ticket cause of the bank holiday ![last time I was asked to fill in I was on hols the next week so again a weekly ticket was out of the question.

Did explain to them that when I worked extra my money was deducted as quick as I earnt it and it would take a lot of hours to make it worth while [A is usually back way before then!] ..they made sympathetic noises but infered that they couldnt help with costs.

I guess the truth is that in this age if I dont want the job there are hundreds who will and they could take on someone local with no transport costs. I certainly think its opened my eyes about the pitfalls of job share. It says in my contract I have to fill in but no mention as to what extent and I can only assume its whenever I'm needed!