Gas Meter Tampering

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4677 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi - I'm a landlord who during a routine annual gas safety check has discovered that the gas prepayment meter has been tampered with, I spoke to the plumber on the phone and he is waiting for someone to call round from the gas company, the tenants swear they know nothing about it and I have a sneaking suspicion that the previous tenant (who did a moonlight flit leeaving unpaid bills and catalogue fraud) was to blame as the meter was fine last year (it was inspected by the same plumber when the property was unoccupied. The tenants are worried that they will get the blame. Will the gas company be able to tell when the meter was tampered with? Ie when money was stop being put on the card etc.... what is the procedure for this kind of thing, are we liable in any way being the landlords? Thanks

Yes of course he is gas safe registered - I could think of the correct title gas engineer/plumber, he was carrying out the annual landords gas safety check that we are required by law to enforce and he is qualifed to do, he noticed that the meter bracket and some of the pipework didn't look right and then on closer inspection deemed it unsafe and contacted the gas supplier and myself

Ouch, this means revenue protection have to step in. Once they have fully investigated and happy then charges will be applied but of course as you raised it and spoke to them, I'm sure it shouldn't be a problem ensuring this charge goes to the correct debtor (the problem tenant). Depends how it's been tempered with but should be workable to find out when it started occuring but also means the tenants who have been there for a year might have additional charges to pay if using gas and not been paying the right amount. 1st step though is to inform your supplier and ensure they are on it and aware of the history.