• Tweets

• Good evening. Hoping to keep this short and concise. Any help really appreciated! Sent originated from council tax in 2019.  I moved address for a new career 240miles away in December 2019 and have lived here ever since.  A distant friend resides at previous address.  A CCJ was filed regarding this debt in January 2020 but no correspondence was received my end or at the old address.  Move forward to this year; early April I learn of a letter received from Bailiff - Notice of Enforcement dated 13/03. Stated I had ten days to settle a payment/payment plan or £75 will be added after ten days from 13/03 and bailiff instructed to visit.  Obviously I was unaware of this letter till well after the time period passed. Attempted to contact Dukes via email but zero response. Asked for breathing space in order to check the original debt with the respective council (I wasn’t awarded a week of Housing despite being on UC for a short period due to a contract date given by the old employer).  29/04 a note was left at the old address stating a bailiff had visited. New balance £310 more than original outstanding.  I’ve since contacted both the council and the bailiff agent to state I’m more than happy to settle the original debt over a payment plan but at this stage they will not remove the fees despite all correspondence not being sent to me and obviously me only seeing them much later than one would have expected.  Tried live chat today with the company and firstly was told the fees will remain because I spoke to the enforcement agent - I have never spoken to him/her.  secondly told the fees would remain because “I tried to use their web chat service to complete an income form” - I have zero recollection of doing this and I also wonder if it’s another tactic? any help on where I stand with the fees added would be incredible. Thank you
    • the evidence you have from Mercedes is perfect. simply write to both the finance company and the dealership that sold you the car, stating under the consumer rights Act 2015 should a fault appear outside of 6mts, it's for the consumer to prove the fault was present at time of sale. Please find enclosed a copy of said report from Mercedes at XXXX stating quite clearly that the windscreen was replaced on Date , some xxx months/years BEFORE my purchase on DATE. there is a bill to pay of XXX to XXX , i expect you to sort this out between yourselves , i am not liable for this. something upon those lines anyway.  
    • Not really. I just wrote it based upon my credit file data with screenshots and stuff.  Also referring to multiple data points. You need to read before sending or writing it.    I have plenty of experience in this stuff so takes me half hour to write something like this. For you itll take an afternoon probably. An additional day with it on your CRA wont cause a problem.     Reference Material; ICO Credit File Guide - https://ico.org.uk/media/your-data-matters/documents/1282/credit-explained-dp- guidance.pdf ICO Main Page For Credit - https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/credit/ CMF Limitation Act 1980 - https://www.checkmyfile.com/articles/the-limitation-act-1980-and-debt-time-limits.htm Gov Limitations Act 1980 - https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/58/2023-11-18 (Latest Version) Transunion 6 Years - https://www.transunion.co.uk/consumer/credit-report-help/how-long-does-information-stay-on-my-credit-report-for Equifax 6 Years - https://help.equifax.co.uk/EquifaxOnlineHelp/s/article/Howlongdoesadefaultedorsettledaccountstayinmyreport Experian 6 Years - https://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/guides/defaults.html#:~:text=A default will stay on,you still%20owe%20them%20money
    • Thanks fkofilee , by any chance is there a templete for guidance that i could use to help me write the complaint?
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Halifax CCA request - Reconstituted Agreement

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4699 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I apologise if this has already been covered, I just wanted to make sure I get things right.

A number of DCA's have been contacting me over the last 2 years over a Halifax Credit card debt. After finding some great information on here, I CCA'd IQOR ( the DCA chasing me at the time ) . The credit card was taken out in 2001. All they sent me were copies of the last 5 years statements, with a HBOS compliments slip. There was no agreement or even covering letter. Obviously I replied with the standard letter after they failed to comply with the CCA, and heard nothing for 2 months.

Today I have received a letter and phone call from Westcott Credit Services, demanding payment. I'm not sure how to respond to them now, as it was only IQOR I CCA'd not Halifax.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Hi and welcome

Don't talk to this DCA (or any) on the phone - say in writing only. If they write to you, send the letter in the link below with details of your previous CCA request. It does not matter if you sent it to a DCA or the original creditor. Send recorded delivery.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?426-A-letter-when-the-account-has-been-passed-to-another-debt-collection-agency

Edited by coledog

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

Thank you. I didn't speak to them as I refused to answer the security questions, I simply instructed them to remove my phone number from their records.

I'll get this letter sent off, many thanks for the quick reply.

Sounds like the paperwork is missing to enforce this debt, otherise it wouldn't be doing the rounds with the DCA's. But you never know.

In case you read some old threads, it is no longer against the law to sell on debts if the account is in dispute

My advice is given through personal experience and is given without prejudice

If I Have helped please feel free to click the star

:smile:

If this information is not provided within 12 working days the debt becomes unenforceable. This means a creditor:

• cannot:
    - make the debtor pay the debt before they're supposed to
    - get a court judgment against the debtor
    - take back anything hired or bought on credit, or take anything used as security in the agreement.
  • can:
    - ask debtors to pay what they owe
    - send a default notice
    - pass information on to a credit reference agency
    - pass information on to a debt collector
    - sell the debt to someone else
    - take the case to court.

Oh right, cos the OFT says it can sell the debt to someone else and I presumed this comes from their list of judgements on the previous page

http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup.cgi?doc=/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2009/3417.html

No, Im perfectly happy to be challenged and be wrong. I just took what was coming from the OFT in black and white and didn't question it. There are a number of Judgements beneath the Carey judgement on that link, so i presumed (and maybe I shouldn't of) that the guidelines they were stating were an amalgamation of rulings from those judgements.

I certainly won't be citing this again until we have it cleared up eitherway, but thanks for pointing it out, I just read it and presumed it was common knowledge and right for that matter

Thats the problem

i learned long ago

take information and check again

best way is

check if case or statute law supports it

oft, acas etc

they are just guide lines

not law:|

thanks for the debate and if ime wrong, ill put my hands up to it buit i just need to see it in black and white

I understand where your coming from. I believe it's based on the fact that it is not seen as enforcement along with registering defaults CRA's etc.

Although not set in statute law, I should imagine a DCA would quote the OFT guideline in court if you were to challenge them selling your debt. I would of thought a judge would side on the OFT guideline as it's not enforcement.

This is probably whu DCA's are happily selling these accounts and no one seems to be sucessfully challenging them

Hi,

I apologise if this has already been covered, I just wanted to make sure I get things right.

A number of DCA's have been contacting me over the last 2 years over a Halifax Credit card debt. After finding some great information on here, I CCA'd IQOR ( the DCA chasing me at the time ) . The credit card was taken out in 2001. All they sent me were copies of the last 5 years statements, with a HBOS compliments slip. There was no agreement or even covering letter. Obviously I replied with the standard letter after they failed to comply with the CCA, and heard nothing for 2 months.

Today I have received a letter and phone call from Westcott Credit Services, demanding payment. I'm not sure how to respond to them now, as it was only IQOR I CCA'd not Halifax.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Hi adster2407,

although they have some what complied with your CCA request by sending statements, they obviously have not fulfilled it by NOT supplying you with the actual Agreement!.

The fact that IQOR have sold the debt obviously speaks volumes and now Wescott are demanding payment.

You may want to send Wescott the following and see how they respond as basically this is a disputed account and the fact the original DCA never complied with!.

Bear in mind they have violated various guidelines in selling a disputed debt!.

Link:- http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?426-A-letter-when-the-account-has-been-passed-to-another-debt-collection-agency

Also, you should make them aware that a " Original signed copy of the agreement" will be required if they are intent on pursuing this dispute as the account was taken out prior to April 2007!.

Regards

PB68.

payback

if they cant supply the agreement thenthey are stuffed

they may try and con you with a reconstructed one buit its means squat in court

if they dont have the originalmthen they must tell you

once a creditor has had a cca request. be it the original or a dca, then they are still in default and can go and swing

send a letter to wescott saying iquorr have defaulted on the request and you dont recognise the legality of westcot demanding payment as the account is in dispute and they are in violation of

CPUTR

payback

if they cant supply the agreement thenthey are stuffed

they may try and con you with a reconstructed one buit its means squat in court

if they dont have the originalmthen they must tell you

once a creditor has had a cca request. be it the original or a dca, then they are still in default and can go and swing

send a letter to wescott saying iquorr have defaulted on the request and you dont recognise the legality of westcot demanding payment as the account is in dispute and they are in violation of

CPUTR

Basically what i have stated postggj! :-D

PB68.

Yes quite right, but wasn't earlier cases quoting statute law and the Judge made a judgement with his interpretation.

I don;t know if I would advise someone to take a DCA to court over this matter for a Judge to reside over it and make a decision over his interpretation.

Sorry not getting on my soap box, but if you don't question, you don't learn

And appologies for Hijacking this thread for a while

adster 2407,

bearing in mind what postggj has mentioned about CPUTR 2008, the following thread maybe useful to you, if only to read as it's come from a well respected cagger!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?291468-Fighting-back-with-CPUTR-2008....

Best of luck and keep us updated :)

PB68.

Many thanks for all the great advice.

I just wanted to check, I have had another letter today from the lovely people at Westcott, and on the letter its states the are acting on behalf of Halifax Credit Card. Last November I CCA'd Iqor, as they were the DCA chasing me at the time, and as I said previously, they only sent me some old statements and nothing else. I sent them usual dispute letter. So it appears Iqor have returned it to Halifax and they have since passed it on to Westcott. So in the template letter do I state the account is in dispute with Halifax or Iqor? Sorry if I am missing the obvious.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I got some great advice here back in January, so hopefully you can help again.

I have a debt from a Halifax Credit card taken out in 2001. For various reasons I struggled to pay the minimum payments. I contacted the Halifax, and was told by one of their advisors " If you can't pay, just don't pay". I also noticed some fraudulent activity on my account, reported it TWICE and Halifax did nothing. After being fobbed off several times by their complaints team, I finally CCA'd them.

In November 2010, within the time limit, Halifax sent me my last 6 years statements and nothing else. I wrote to them, and said this wasn't acceptable, and heard nothing back. In January 2011 I received letters and Phone calls from Westcot collections demanding payments. Again, I wrote to them explaining I was still waiting for a copy of the agreement. I heard nothing back.

Today ( 6th August 2011 ), I received a letter in a Bank of Scotland envelope, from Blair, Oliver, Scott, with a " reconstituted version of the executed agreement". They state I must contact them within 14 days to arrange payment or they will " have no option but to instruct collections agents".

What they have sent is 15 pages of terms and conditions, with my name an address printed on the top. No signature, or date the agreement was signed or anything.

Any advice on what my next move should be? It has taken them 9 months to actually send this after the request, and I have no idea if this was the agreement I signed back in 2001.

Sorry for the long post and any help very much appreciated.

two threads merged and moved to the halifax forum

please keep to ONE thread per debt

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...