Community Care Grant

gazmix
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4660 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear all

Can anyone tell me more about the 'Community Care Grant'.

I am on Income Support & have just obtained a council flat as i have needed to leave my family home as it wasn't beneficial towards my health!

I have no bed, sofa, tables or anything & was told by the council that i could apply for this grant!

Has anyone had any experience of it & how i could fill it in properly to obtain what i need!

Many Thanks

gazmix

Hi Rebel

Yes i have seen this & have applied for the form to fill in, but thanks!.

I've heard so many different situations of people getting the grant & people not getting a grant. I know it is for emergency & what some people see as an emergency, others don't & what items are seen as essential in a property, e.g. a fridge, they may see as not a necessity as its possible to shop daily!

I just wondered if anyone had experience of claiming & what would swing a decision!

Thanks

We recently applied for one as we were moving into a new property from a homeless situation & needed everything.

It can take up to 4 weeks to process & they refused us ours (according to them we didn't fit their criteria) so we were advised to got to CAB who appealed it on our behalf (according to CAB, it's their policy to turn as many down as possible at the moment, so that you go for a social/crisis loan & pay it back), the CAB appealed it again & it went to an Independent Panel & they gave us more money.

Put down all that you need, I provided costs for new & 2nd hand. Remember if you don't ask, you don't get!!:-)

Good Luck

Nystagmite- yes, i have anxiety issues & living with my family escalates this as we don't get on well & i have been told by my dr that i should live alone & independent.

I know each persons necessary items are different, & what they see as necessary things! I only need a bed, sofa, chairs & a fridge, but apparently i read somewhere as a fridge isn't a necessity as you can buy food each day!

Pojo, i heard this too & the woman on the phone said i would get a budgeting loan of around £320, but to apply for both!

How much did you apply for? is there a chance that applying for too much appears greedy & clould blow up in my face?

Thanks

I was worried I was coming across as greedy, but we are a family of 5 in a vulnerable position with our youngest son who has a disability so I asked for everything we needed which amounted to about £2,500 & we got half of that. A fridge & cooker were classed as a necessity not sure if they are for everyone!

fridge isn't a necessity as you can buy food each day!

i have anxiety issues

Given the anxiety issues, can you do that everyday? I mean, some people can't go out without help from another person due to disability. Or are unable to even get up out of bed due to their disability.

A fridge & cooker were classed as a necessity not sure if they are for everyone!

I think it depends on the situation. Because for some, it could be argued that they live on microwave meals, therefore, no need for a cooker. No good for someone like me who can't most eat microwave meals.

Nytagmite, sometimes i can, other times i can't, but living with my family is detremental to my health as i feel the tension & bad atmosphere escalates this. I will add this to the application.

The housing association will fit either a fridge, cooker or washing machine, but there is only spaces for 2 & there is a launderette on site, so a cooker being the costliest would be fitted for me.

I just don't want to come across as greedy, i know carpeting isn't classed as necessity, neither sofa's or storage, so i guess i'll apply for reasonable needs.

This is true & so is a mini surface top oven with a microwave... In fact, i'm wondering if anything can be seen as a necessity by the people that make the decision unless its health orientated! For example someone with diabetes would need a fridge to store insulin.

I could sleep on a blow up bed, shop daily (although sometimes due to health i can't), sit on deck chairs etc! I'm filling in the forms now & wondering what is necessity that i absolutely need!!

I suppose today, some people see a tv as a necessity!! but i know it isn't & is a bed a necessity!?

Has anyone actually filled one in & what did they get from what they put?

thanks