£2000 damages!!! no written agreement house sitter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4659 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys

My son was house sitting for a friend in a lovely house for a year. There was no contract written or deposit taken. He recently left and left the property in a decent condition. However the owner has now presented him with a bill for 2k! This includes a new mattress (stained), chocolate behind a settee, egg slicer dirty etc etc etc! He is now climbing the walls! Any advice please?

Was an inventory taken and agreed. If not then your ex(?)-friend doesn't have much of a leg to stand on legally.

I guess you will have a better idea whether your son is a slob or not and/or whether your friend has ridiculously high standards and high expectations.

no there was no inventory, and the issues include stains on the carpet (new one needed ) which he had professionally cleaned before leaving, egg boiler in the cupboard broken which he wouldnt have a clue how to use, rug by fire already burned,mattress yellowed,oven tin used! chopping board scored....... house plants outside.... Also when he was there the bath sprung a leak and went into the kitchen which he told her about but she didnt fix so there is water damage to a cupboard door...she is a donut! and he is not a slob. so i told him not to worry and to tell her see you in court! ( just a clue, she has a bedroom just for her Jimmy choo shoes!) He was going to offer her something but I said not to as that could have implications..oh yes and he also has a text from her partner saying thanks for leaving the house in good order... she also states on the bill that he was a house sitter not a tenant so I said well house sitting is a minimum of £10 a day so send her a bill! :madgrin:

Just ignore them, or alternatively send a brief letter stating that you dispute all allegations of dilapidations, and if they feel they have a provable case to take to small claims court, but you will not correspond with them any further.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!