Changing name by deed poll - anyone done this?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4676 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Afternoon Caggers :)

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of changing their name by deed poll and can share any advice? Some googling returned a few companies who will provide documentation for a fairly small fee, but being on a low income I'm somewhat reluctant to use any of them without knowing anyone else who has.

Do I need to use one of these companies?

Any advice gratefully received :)

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

Thanks Ceberus, I'll try going the statutory declaration route. The wikipedia info is fairly limited, how do I go about drafting one?

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

I ....................(old name [in full, even if only changing a part of your name], address and occupation) do solemnly and sincerely declare:

1. I absolutely and entirely renounce, relinquish and abandon the use of my said former name of .................... and assume, adopt and determine to take and use from the date hereof the name of ..................... in substitution for my former name of .................... .

2. I shall at all times hereafter in all records, deeds and other writings and in all actions and proceedings, as in all dealings and transactions and on all occasions whatsoever, use the said name of ................... as my name in substitution for my former name of .................... so relinquished as aforesaid to the intent that I may hereafter be called, known or distinguished not by the former name of ................... but by the name of .................... only.

3. I authorise and require all persons at all times to designate, describe and address me by the adopted name of ....................

AND I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of the provisions of the Statutory Declarations Act 1835.

Declared at ........................................

this .................... day of ..................... 200- .................... (signature) ....................

before me ....................

A solicitor empowered to administer oaths

That's brilliant, thanks so much :)

One last question...how do I go about getting it notarized?

Ah despite my username I am now living in England. Website for the passport service is confusing the hell out of me though....reads to me that they need to see a deed poll. Cant see any mention of an SD: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Passports/Howtochangethenameonyourpassport/DG_174166

:wink:

deed n. A written document that must make it clear on its face that it is intended to be a deed and validly executed as a deed. Before 31 July 1990, all deeds required a seal in order to be validly executed, but this requirement was abolished by the Law of Property (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1989. A deed executed since that date by an individual requires only that it must be signed by its maker in the presence of a witness, or at the maker's direction and in the presence of two witnesses, and delivered. ....
(from A Dictionary of Law, Oxford University Press)

"SD" confuses the issue.

The relevant legislation, to apply for an identification card or whatever else, refers to a deed or a deed poll.

"statutory declaration" implies, usually, that a law requires that the declaration is made. A deed poll is voluntary, the prerogative of the person.

Edited by perplexity

Check the link in post #16 But you will still have to make a SD as well in order to change your birth certificate.

This?

http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/supportservs/changingname/

Nothing there tells me that you have to make a SD as well.

All it says about a statutory declaration is that "the Dundee Registrar may be able to provide you with a statutory declaration which should normally be accepted as proof", which is no surprise.

If there happens to be a law to insist that a "statutory declaration" is required in Scotland, to change a name, please, by all means identify the Statute, which I am yet to be made aware of.

In the mean time, a deliberate misrepresentation of advice from a City Council fails to convince.

More to the point:

Remember however, that circumstances may allow or require a change to be made in other ways and a Recording of Change of Name might not be appropriate.