Nelson Guest/Wescot County Court Claim ***discontinued with wasted costs ***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4526 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't worry Jockey you are on my to do list:-)

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Andy.

Going to submit defence via MCOL. Looking at Citizen's guidance notes I hav come up with this:

The Defendant is unable to plead due to the Claimant's failure to comply with its CPR 31.14 duties in disclosing requested documents

On 20th and 21st July 2001, following service of the Claim Form in this case, the Defendant wrote to the Claimant requesting inspection of documents mentioned in the Particulars of Claim pursuant to CPR 31.14. Copies of these letters of request are attached.

The Claimant replied by letter dated 1st August 2011 acknowledging the letter of 21st July and informing the Defendant that they would be in contact in due course. No such contact from the Claimant has been forthcoming. A copy of this reply is attached.

On 8th August 2011 the Defendant telephoned the Claimant, Westcot SPV Limited, to ascertain when the aforementioned documents would be available. The Claimant’s employee, Mr Steve (SURNAME REMOVED) , referred with a colleague and informed the Defendant that the documents were unavailable at this time. The Defendant requested that the Claimant grant the Defendant a further 28 days for the production of the aforementioned documents in order for him to prepare a defence. This request was refused by the Claimant in the person of Mr (SURNAME REMOVED)who stated that the Defendant should issue a defence without the aforementioned documents. The Defendant asked Mr (SURNAME REMOVED) whether the telephone conversation was being recorded and Mr (SURNAME REMOVED) confirmed that it was.

The documents sought by my request are essential for the proper preparation of my defence and the determination of the claim and CPR 31.14 afford me a right to inspect those documents.

The Defendant reserves the right to amend this defence and has made an application to the court for an order compelling disclosure.

Bits in red are there becaus I am not sure if I can attach docs??

What do you think or am I way off??

Thanks.

J

Edited by alanfromderby

Yes thats fine Jockey, you could send a hard copy with their responses attached also along with your MCOL submission.

Well done

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Ahhh yes correct ok well you can introduce them later in the process.

Just a little guidance when submitting a defence Jockey and points to consider:-

Content of defence

(1) In his defence, the defendant must state –

(a) which of the allegations in the particulars of claim he denies;

(b) which allegations he is unable to admit or deny, but which he requires the claimant to prove; and

© which allegations he admits.

(2) Where the defendant denies an allegation –

(a) he must state his reasons for doing so; and

(b) if he intends to put forward a different version of events from that given by the claimant, he must state his own version.

(3) A defendant who –

(a) fails to deal with an allegation; but

(b) has set out in his defence the nature of his case in relation to the issue to which that allegation is relevant,

shall be taken to require that allegation to be proved.

(4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation.

(5) Subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), a defendant who fails to deal with an allegation shall be taken to admit that allegation.

(6) If the defendant disputes the claimant’s statement of value under rule 16.3 he must –

(a) state why he disputes it; and

(b) if he is able, give his own statement of the value of the claim.

(7) If the defendant is defending in a representative capacity, he must state what that capacity is.

(8) If the defendant has not filed an acknowledgment of service under Part 10, the defendant must give an address for service.

Thanks, Andy. This will no doubt come into play when "proper" defence is filed assuming they come up with docs??

For now all filed and awaiting responses.

Speak to you in the future.

Thanks again.

J

• 4 weeks later...

*** Update***

Just received a letter thos morning from Westcot:

"We write in reference to the above matter (Refers to claim no etc in heading).

Further to our letter of the 1st August 2011 (confirming receipt of my info request) we have been unable to obtain what we believe to be sufficient evidence to support our Claim.

We have therefore decided not to pursue this matter any further and confirm the balance outstanding has been written off."

Quick questions,

1. Does this actually mean the debt is now gone forever or can it be resurrected in future?

2. I did submit N244 asking court to force Westcot to produce evidence and asked for costs, what will happen now?

3 Should I let the court know about Wescot's letter?

Many thanks.

J

Hi Jockey Is it a Notice of Discontinuance you have received?

Andy

Only if you receive the N279 is a claim discontinued.If they have discontinued with the Court but failed to send you notice

they may be trying to avoid wasted costs as 42man states.Clarify with their sols what their intentions are.

Regards

Andy

*** Update***

Just received a letter thos morning from Westcot:

"We write in reference to the above matter (Refers to claim no etc in heading).

Further to our letter of the 1st August 2011 (confirming receipt of my info request) we have been unable to obtain what we believe to be sufficient evidence to support our Claim.

We have therefore decided not to pursue this matter any further and confirm the balance outstanding has been written off."

Quick questions,

1. Does this actually mean the debt is now gone forever or can it be resurrected in future?

2. I did submit N244 asking court to force Westcot to produce evidence and asked for costs, what will happen now?

3 Should I let the court know about Wescot's letter?

Many thanks.

J

This is interesting.. and excellent news. If I recall, although they listed a solicitor on their claim form.. Wescott were in fact acting on their own behalf werent they.

I wonder if they realise that they MUST let the court know if they are discontinuing and that you can claim Wasted costs as advised above.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Ok. Spoke to Court and no notice sent by Wescot. Rang Westcot and spoke to Adam Pottage who said after consultation with "defence team" that they do not inform court to discontinue, rather say later that they do not wish to collect! Think I will send the court a copy of their letter and would like to know how I can pursue my costs, if I can of course!!

Many thanks.

J

Hi

Below is a draft letter to the Court, any tweaks or obvious ommissions gratefuly received:

Dear Sir

Claim Number XXXXXXXX – Wescot SPV Limited v

I refer to the above claim and attach a letter from Westcot dated 7 September 2011 in which they state that they are not pursuing the matter any further.

I telephoned Westcot on 8 September 2011 to enquire as to whether they had informed the Court of their decision and to discontinue their claim. A spokesman for Westcot, Mr Adam Pottage, informed me that this was not their policy.

On 12 August 2011 I submitted to the Court an Application Notice on form N244 requesting the Court to instruct the Claimant to provide information pertinent to their claim together with a Draft Order including a claim for the Defendant’s costs of £130 (one hundred and thirty pounds).

I would be grateful if you would confirm that due to the Claimant’s admission that they have no case that the case be struck out and that the Claimant should pay the Defendant’s costs.

Thank you.

Yours faithfully

Thanks in adavance.

J

Thats fine Jockey mark it for the Attention of your Case Manager.To do it the way they state the claim will remain stayed (indefinitely)

They wont have the option not to collect because there will be no judgment to collect on.Numpties.

Its either one of two things, true ignorance of the CPR and court procedures or a crafty way to avoid paying NoD wasted costs order.I Will let you decide.

Regards

Andy

..............a crafty way to avoid paying NoD wasted costs order........

Regards

Andy

jockey

looking like the above!

also, they have stated that they have written it off. there is nothing to 'collect'!

Edited by Ford

I wonder if this is an abuse of court process?

They must have already known that they didnt have the paperwork, but went ahead anyway. Probably hoping that the defendant would fold, or they would obtain a judgment in default..

Then to advise that they "just wouldnt go any further" I cant see this practice being acceptable to courts/judges around the country!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Could be that there is further to come as Jockeys application is yet to be processed, or as the Claimant all ready had notification or got wind of it?

Andy

Could be that there is further to come as Jockeys application is yet to be processed, or as the Claimant all ready had notification or got wind of it?

Andy

:thumb:

BCOBS

Excellent Jockey keep your thread updated.

Andy