Interview Under Caution - HB

borisbeaver
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4568 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A colleage of mine has come to me in a state of panic saying that he has received a letter from the council inviting him and his wife to an interview under caution for an overpayment of HB.

After I managed to calm him down I managed to get him to show me the letter.He says that he informed the council for all change of circumstance since making the claim. He has also shown me a 20 page letter from the council - this is complete gobbledegook to me.

I know nothing about these things so was only able to offer general advice, i.e. are you sure you told them about everything, how did you tell them, have you spoken to CAB, etc..The over payment is about £4000.

He has managed to get a postponement of the interview, but wants to know what happens at these interviews.

Do the awards he received show his wifes income on there? If he did notify them then he should have received a new award with updated information on. Might be worth him looking to see if it does show the change in income.

• 3 months later...

Update.

I went along with my colleague as support to his IUC. There were 2 issues, firstly he hadn't declared changes to his tax credits. He countered this by saying that in a previous contact with the council, he didn't need to notify them as they can get this information themselves. Secondly, they stated that they had not received the notification that his wife had started work. He showed them a copy of the letter that was sent advising them. The whole interview took 90 minutes.

We were advised that it would be at least six weeks before anything would be done.

He received a letter asking him to come to the council offices today. I went with him. He was advised that in normal circumstances, this would be an automatic prosecution, because he had health problems, the decision was made to give him an administrative penalty. This was 30% of the overpayment and would be added to the overpayment. The council has stated that no further action will be taken.

He got off lightly, but will be paying the council back for some years.

Moral of the story, ensure that you inform the council of any change of income and more importantly, follow it up.