Please advise me on how to cancel my gym membership (Fitness First)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4693 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I joint on the 20th June for a 4 month contract. From what I can see payments will be taken on the 15th July, 1st August, 1st September, 1st October. My 4 month 'minimum membership term' ends on the 20th October.

I do not want to continue going to Fitness First after my 4 month minimum membership term has elapsed. I know from the terms and conditions I need to give 1 months cancellation notice. I do not want to make any more payments beyond the one on the 1st october.

You can view the full terms and conditions by googling "fitness first terms conditions". it's the first result, I can't post the link as I don't have enough posts.

3.6 You are required to give 1 month's notice of termination which will commence on the

first day of the following month and expire on the last day of that month except this

does not apply to clause 3.4 and except where you are within the minimum contract

period where notice may be given to coincide with the end of that period.

I cannot get my head around the wording. Do I need to give 1 months notice before my final payment, or 1 month before the 20th October (when my 4 month minimum membership term ends)?

I would appreciate if someone could tell me the exact date I need to give notice of my "intention to cease membership" in order for me to not pay any more payments after the 1st October.

Many thanks

I joint on the 20th June for a 4 month contract. From what I can see payments will be taken on the 15th July, 1st August, 1st September, 1st October. My 4 month 'minimum membership term' ends on the 20th October.

I do not want to continue going to Fitness First after my 4 month minimum membership term has elapsed. I know from the terms and conditions I need to give 1 months cancellation notice. I do not want to make any more payments beyond the one on the 1st october.

You can view the full terms and conditions by googling "fitness first terms conditions". it's the first result, I can't post the link as I don't have enough posts.

3.6 You are required to give 1 month's notice of termination which will commence on the

first day of the following month and expire on the last day of that month except this

does not apply to clause 3.4 and except where you are within the minimum contract

period where notice may be given to coincide with the end of that period.

I cannot get my head around the wording. Do I need to give 1 months notice before my final payment, or 1 month before the 20th October (when my 4 month minimum membership term ends)?

I would appreciate if someone could tell me the exact date I need to give notice of my "intention to cease membership" in order for me to not pay any more payments after the 1st October.

Many thanks

Hi

I have recently cancelled my membership at FF in yorkshire. Send a record letter to both your local gym and their head office approximately 45 days before the end of the 4 month contract.

Job done!

BSBS.

Hi Creamhorn and welcome to CAG,

Even though you joined mid-month, they tend to work on whole months. Therefore I think you should give notice, as BSBS says, during the last 2 weeks of September using Recorded Delivery and keep the proof of postage.

Tell them you are giving the 1 month's required notice on 1st October to cancel with effect on 31st October.

Cancel the DD mandate after the DD is paid on 1st October by writing to your bank, or do it online if you have the facility.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

RECORDED DELIVERY - 20th September 2011

Dear sir or madam,

Membership No: xxxx xxxx

I refer to the 4 month contract which I signed on 20th June 2011 and I hereby give notice to my gym cancel membership on 31st October 2011.

The final Direct Debit that I pay will be for 1st October and, once that is taken, the DD mandate will be cancelled.

Yours faithfully,

Creamhorn

The letter should be sent by Recorded Delivery. Keep a copy of your letter and the proof of posting.

:wink:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)