DVLA V5C Problem

rwaddell81
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4700 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. I sold my motorbike to a dealer (as part exchange for a new one) on the 18th March. I completed and sent the V5C to the dealer, who forwarded it on to the DVLA. Within 4 weeks of the sale, the DVLA contacted me and informed me that a 3rd party were registering the old bike in their name. Upon reciept of that letter, I contacted a team leader with the DVLA who explained that I should write on the back of the letter explaining all that I had done. I did so, and sent it back to the DVLA. A month later the DVLA sent out another letter claiming that they still had not recieved notice that I had sold the bike. This time there was a pre-printed form on the back I could use to make a statment that I had informed them. I completed said form and sent it back to them. Less than a week later I got another letter stating that as I had failed to inform the DVLA I had disposed of the vehicle I was being fined £35, raising to £55. Despite numerous telephone calls and letters, the DVLA acknowledge the fact that I sent them 2 letters informing them I was no longer the keeper of the vehicle, but still pursuing me for the fine amount. After disputing their claim that I had not informed them I was the keeper of the vehicle, the DVLA sent out another letter telling me, that the fine was because that DVLA had contacted me about the new keeper registering the vehicle in their name. They claim that I had failed to inform them I had not received an acknoledgement letter from the original V5. Since the DVLA tell people to wait 4 weeks before contacting them about a lack of acknowledgement letter, and since I was contacted within that time, I could not have known that there was a problem in that they had not received the V5.Does anyone have any advice on how they think I should proceed now? I am aware that I should not have relied on the dealer sending the V5C to the DVLA on my behalf, and the letter tennis between the DVLA and myself seems to be getting nowhere fast.

No.

The bike was sold to a dealer. The dealer gets the V5 and the RK sends the yellow section to DVLA.

The OP has not stated whether or not he/she sent the yellow section. Even if the garage sent it (a they shouldn't send the V5 until the vehicle has a new owner, it was still sent. The RK is responsible for informing the DVLA of the change of keeper, but there is no requirement to do it personally - it can be a delegated task.

If the garage sent it, then a written statement from them and the Interpretation Act absolves the RK.

I agree Pat, but the OP said 'I completed and sent the V5C to the dealer' which means they did not send it to DVLA. I also assume we are talking about the yellow portion as you quiet rightly say, but that is still the V5c and MUST be sent to DVLA by the OP - the remainder (and bulk of) the V5c stays with the dealer.. They didn't and thus the offence is comitted. If the dealer did indeed send it and DVLA got it, this may have never been discovered, but as it seems they didn't the OP cannot now say they sent it.

Of course. Some people might lie and say they sent it, but I cannot condone such underhand tactics with a decent public spirited organization such as DVLA.

Excuse me a monet. I need a vomit bag. :)

Make sure you make a complaint about this to the PHSO. DVLA are not right to bully the public this way, I've been through this several times with them and only if everybody registers complaints about them can we stand a chance of being heard against these rogue traders that front themselves as a government organisation. Common crooks is all they are.