Debt letter received from old employer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4716 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Evening,

I am looking for some advice on a letter received by my wife today. Basically, this letter (which i have attempted to attach) states that she is due a previous employer an amount of £493.75 due to administrative error.

This letter is completely out of the blue as she was made redundant from them nearly 5 years ago now. My first thought was ignore as I'm aware of a 5 year period in which the debt has to be written off. As you can see from the letter, this states her employment ended on 30 June 2006 which is very close to this 5 year period. However, my wife called them and spoke with an administrator who took a message. Am i right in saying that a telephone call does not constitute proof of receipt of this letter?

Although this is not a large amount, I'm more ****ed off at the audacity to claim this money back without warning and after such a long time. She is extremely upset and the fact that she is heavily pregnant has not helped.

It's also certainly unrealistic to ask for this amount from her, within 7 days, she has just finished college and has not worked now for over a year. It's also unlikely that she will return to any form of employment any time soon as she obviously has 1 kid to look after and another on the way. The only form of ‘income’ she receives is by way of Child Tax Credits. I use the term income lightly as this is for the benefit of my son and not a large corporate company.

I would very much appreciate any advice on this matter. In the meantime, I have instructed her not to answer any calls and certainly not to accept any liability.

Kind Regards,

James

Debt Letter.jpg

Hello,

Having uploaded this image to Photo Bucket the site informed me i need a minimum of 20 posts to link to pictures. Only alternative i could think of is trying this:

swooshmedia.co.uk / ltr.jpg

Without the spaces of course. Hope this will suffice!

Debt Letter.jpg

Cheeky sods

i would write back to them stating that you have no knowledge of this debt and demand a full breakdown on how this alleged debt came about

also tell them under the civil procedure rules

you are entitled to this information before any court/counter claim is issued

address this at the top of your letter

i do not acknowledge this debt to you or any other company

that will give them something to think about

in other words

prove it

SEND RECORDED DELIVERY TO THE SOLICITORS

Send the letter by recorded delivery and keep a copy for yourselves.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Yes after 5 clear years in Scotland hang on for ten days.

Phoning does not restart the clock on acknowledgement in writing or a payment would do that.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide: