Internal application help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4716 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello!

My partner works for a High Street clothing chain as a store manager. He recently got told about a new store being build and decided to apply for a position there. He's been with the company for about a year and a half, and a store manager for about a year now. He's done an amazing job at his store, which used to suffer massive stock loss, but which he's now turned around. He want a new challenge, higher pay, and to start climbing the ranks more, so he can get a better position closer to home.

Anyhow, he just got a call from the regional controller, telling him that his application for a new position was rejected and they want him to stay in the store he's in for longer - 6-8 months, maybe more. And with that, the matter seems closed.

Can they do this? Stop him from applying/progressing? It seems to me that they just want to keep him there because he's doing a good job, but they're not taking his career into account. What are the laws on this?

Edited by Sidewinder
Removed company name

Hi there. From a 'legal' point of view there is nothing to prevent the employer from doing this, and in retail it happens all the time - certain managers are kept in a particular store either because they are especially good at controlling what has previously been a problem, and others are moved because they aren't, but when it comes to new stores, the manager is normally selected rather than it being advertised as a vacancy. Perhaps the person appointed has a longer track record, is being rewarded for something which has attracted the attention of the right people - maybe he will fall flat on his face and your partner will then be in line based on his previously good record of turning a store around.

At the end of the day there is nothing which says that a vacancy has to be advertised - merely that in selecting a candidate the employer cannot exclude others on the basis of race, gender, religion, disability etc. Favouritism alas, is permissible, and all that your partner can do in this situation is to let it be known that he is hungry for new challenges and career development - perhaps take the opportunity of a private chat to talk about opportunities next time that the Regional Controller is available.

He does have the option of raising a grievance, but that would undoubtedly mark him down as one to steer clear of in future, so I would not advise this purely on the basis of disappointment that on this occasion he has been overlooked. He is clearly a good manager with ambition and potential - he should be proud of that and look to build on it by getting words in the right ears.

Sorry I can't be more help, but that is how I see it!

Incidentally - I have changed the company name as it may well not help his cause to be seen airing his disappointment in an internet forum - best to remain anonymous!

• Haha 1

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I didn't think there was too much to be done, but just to clarify, he's wasn't going for the store manager position, or even the Assistant manage, - they're far, above him still; this new store is a huge 'Flagship' one - No, it was another position below that - or any position really! He just wants to try his hand at something new, work closer to home, be part of a new store...

I can understand them advising him to stay for a bit longer to learn more, but I dislike them stopping him progressing just for their own ends. I can tell he's quite disappointed. The thing is, if he didn't work there, and had just applied for a position at this new store, he'd be hired in a snap.

Is there anyway he can insist on being considered? I'm aware however, of the need to be careful in not causing too much trouble, but also one does need to sometimes speak out and make your voice heard...

I do understand, believe me - I see it almost every day and deal with managers in very similar situations!

I would still maintain that a 'friendly chat' is by far the best approach. Stress that he is so keen to progress that he would happily accept a step down in order to approach a bigger role in the long run from a different direction. It would have to be phrased right, otherwise the RC could see it as something strange - not many SMs want to take lower positions unless there is a clear career path over the long term.

In terms of 'making' them consider him? Not a chance unless they can understand and agree why he wants to do it, and I refer you back to Point A - Discussion!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!