Bannatynes Gym Membership - Cancellation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4729 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, Im not entirely sure this is the right place to post this but i will give it a go.

I have been a member of bannatynes since January of this year. In early April i was rushed to hospital and subsequently ended up having appendix surgery. After having 4 weeks off work and obviously not being able to attend the gym, i decided i couldnt afford it.

I missed my payment on the 2nd of may and with the time i had off work (and moving jobs in an attempt to gain more money) im not going to be able to pay it or the next months etc...

I was never made aware of the 3 month cancellation policy and i have rang them to explain my situation. Obviously being a big company, they dont really care about my health or financial problems and just want their money. I also asked them to freeze the account until i can afford it but they swiftly refused.

I don't have a problem with paying it, and i am also aware that i have `broke` the terms of their contract but i simply cannot afford to pay them anything. Im assuming this is a contract of service and not a financial contract? Is there any way that i can sort this out or anyway that anyone knows of that i can get out of paying them? This is beginning to cause me a considerable amount of distress.

thank you in advance for any help.

Mike

Hi Mike and welcome to CAG.

You've chosen a good day to join us - the OFT took Ashbourne Management Ltd to the High Court in March and I believe the ruling of that case is due out today.

It may well clarify certain aspects of the way gyms and their admin co's carry out their business. However, we'll need some time to digest the ruling and decide on it's significance with other gyms.

See here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?289465-Office-of-Fair-Trading-v-Ashbourne-Management-Services-9th.March-2011

8)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, if you look in your terms and conditions about termination, if you have serious illness or injury you are allowed to cancel with 30 days notice provided you provide a doctors certificate. I rang head office last thursday as i am 30 weeks pregnant and cannot use the gym anymore (yes i could swim but i don't feel confident enough) anyway asked if it were possible to suspend for a period of time as im not allowed to do physical exercise for 8 weeks post natally. got told in no uncertain terms no. I got a bit annoyed at this and sent a really snotty letter to head office which caroline the sales manager in york called me the next day and offered to resolve it. went in this morning with my notes to prove pregnancy and voila membership will be cancelled at the end of this month and can be reinstated once im ready to rejoin. just goes to show if you make enough noise you will get listened to. keep on at them, just a shame its been my local york gym that has been helpful rather than head office who clearly have no idea. good luck

Hi Mike,

I assume there are no ongoing medical reasons that you can't use the gym, and that your problem is purely financial.

If so, just write to the gym explaining that you were hospitalised with appendicitis in April and have been unable to work for xx weeks.

Say you have to cancel as you simply cannot afford the monthly fees. Or ask if you can suspend membership until you are back working and can afford the fees again.

Don't exaggerate about the hospital admission they may ask for proof of they condition. You do not have to provide them with anything but your failure to do so may make them less helpful.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)