Guide to completing the ESA50

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4739 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just rec'd my ESA50 for new claim and I need an insider's guide to complete the ESA50. What I mean by that is a guide that is used by Welfare rights, CAB people etc rather than DWP guide which is essentially crap

A link would be great and any pointers/advice to present my case in the best possible light if that is possible!

Many, many thanks and appreciate the help rec's to date

cheers

SD

My best advice is tick the boxes, and then write as much as you can in every available space, and relate what you write to the sub descriptor you think you fulfill, and not to the question that's been asked. The questions are loosely related to the overall descriptor, but its up to you to give enough information to show you qualify for the points for the specific descriptor. Its also important to use real life examples to demonstrate how you fulfill the descriptor. Write outside the boxes if you need to. Use the extra space at the back to explain anything additional and to explain how your condition would deteriorate if forced to work. Continue on further sheets of paper if necessary (stapled to the form). Also send in copies of any supporting literature about your condition (also stapled to the form).

For instance, I can't sit upright on a chair for more than about 20 mins. So on my esa50 I gave examples of how this affects my every day life - like in order to watch tv or use my laptop I lay to one side on the sofa propped up by cushions. I can't sit at a table to eat dinner, I don't go to restaurants or to the cinema, the longest car journeys I make are 10-20 mins, I don't go to people's houses because I can't sit in their chairs very long.

The more you write on the esa50, then the harder it is for the atos idiot to write lies, and if they do, the easier it is to refute at tribunal - on a balance of probabilities you would be unlikely to write such detailed information on an esa50 and then say something completely different at the 'medical'.