• Tweets

• What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
    • he Fraser group own Robin park in Wigan. The CEO's email  is  [email protected]
    • Yes, it was, but in practice we've found time after time that judges will not rule against PPCs solely on the lack of PP.  They should - but they don't.  We include illegal signage in WSs, but more as a tactic to show the PPC up as spvis rather than in the hope that the judge will act on that one point alone. But sue them for what?  They haven't really done much apart from sending you stupid letters. Breach of GDPR?  It could be argued they knew you had Supremacy of Contact but it's a a long shot. Trespass to your vehicle?  I know someone on the Parking Prankster blog did that but it's one case out of thousands. Surely best to defy them and put the onus on them to sue you.  Make them carry the risk.  And if they finally do - smash them. If you want, I suppose you could have a laugh at the MA's expense.  Tell them about the criminality they have endorsed and give them 24 hours to have your tickets cancelled and have the signs removed - otherwise you will contact the council to start enforcement for breach of planning permission.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

petguard insurance problem ** RESOLVED SUCCESSFULLY **

TINK660
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3989 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So what's the difference between Halifax/Lloyds customers and PetGuard?

NIG are part of the Roayal Bank of Scotland, so none imho.

Why are the press not reporting on us and why are the FSA not as talkative about us?

This is what I keep saying on various forums - we were the first ones to be affected by this and yet the Petguard fiasco didn't get any publicity. Is it just that Halifax / Lloyds have far more pet insurance customers?

I am still waiting for a response from the FOS adjudicator!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I suppose it is that they have more customers.

Have you got any of the Petguard documentation?

Hi all,

Although my complaint is currently with the Financial Ombudsman, I feel that it will most probably go nowhere - therefore I have written to Petguard/Thistle Insurance to let them know that I intend to instigate court proceedings unless they come to a mutually satisfactory agreement regarding compensation. I have given them 2 weeks, so await their reply and will take it from there!

GE MONEY - DEBENHAMS CARD

Settled in full after prelim :)

MBNA

Settled after LBA

however mistake made by me on contractual interest so going after the rest now

SETTLED IN FULL JAN 2007:)

MINT

Offer after prelim rejected

Settled in full after LBA:)

to go:

Barclays Bus Ac - to mcol

Barclays CC - to mcol

Nat West (over 6 years) no action taken yet

Creation Financial - awaiting statements since Dec

Goldfish - offer after prelim rejected

and some more

Hi all,

Although my complaint is currently with the Financial Ombudsman, I feel that it will most probably go nowhere - therefore I have written to Petguard/Thistle Insurance to let them know that I intend to instigate court proceedings unless they come to a mutually satisfactory agreement regarding compensation. I have given them 2 weeks, so await their reply and will take it from there!

I think that you are right about the FOS. I am quite sure that even if they decide to act, it will be very conservative.

Legal action is the only way.

We would be very pleased to help you if you would like

Thank you Bank Fodder, depending on their reply I may need some help.

MBNA

Settled after LBA

MINT

to go:

Barclays CC - to mcol

and some more

Thank you Bank Fodder, depending on their reply I may need some help.

Well - we are dead keen to get stuck in to them.

Hi all,

I am in the same position as you TINK660, still waiting to hear from the adjudicator, but not really holding out much hope.

When I last heard from Petguard/JLT they actually stated that anything further to do with this should be directed to NIG as they were the actual underwriters and they decided to pull out of pet insurance, not Petguard. However, the way Petguard handled it was absolutely awful, they just seemed to bury their head in the sand.

Please keep posting as to how you get on.

Thanks.

If you want to make a clim, then we can help you.

Your claim is against Petguard - even though they are trying to pass the buck. Keep the pressure on Petguard. You made your contract with them.

TINK660 & Melbury - has the FOS contacted you to say that they cannot investigate your complaint at the moment?? I've had an email from the FOS adjudicator assigned to my complaint telling me that she can't investigate it as they have had a large number of complaints about this issue concerning several insurers so the need to decide their approach first before she investigates. I'd be really interested to know what the FOS are telling you as my complaint has been with them since September 2011 and I think you both lodged your complaints before mine...?

Another interesting thing - I have a statement in response to something I asked the FOS telling me that my complaint should be heard against UKI as they are who my contract of insurance is with (UKI have taken over the responsibilities of NIG, the underwriter of the Petguard policy) but I've sought legal advice about this and who, if I decide to pursue this through the courts, I should bring my case against and I have been advised that our contract is clearly with JLT Online who sold us the Petguard insurance product.

Obviously I have to say that you should seek your own legal advice on this and not take my word for it but it has left me perplexed ... I am going to contact FOS and tell them about this as I do not want to find myself in the situation where they do not uphold my complaint due to it being heard against the wrong company!

Fidel, no the FOS haven't contacted me saying that. My complaint is currently with adjudicator and I am waiting to hear what they decide.

Today my dogs problem has flared up again and one of his claws is bleeding from the nail bed, which will probably result in him having to undergo yet another operation, but this time I will be paying the bill in full:-x

I will be interested to hear how TINK660 gets on with Petguard/JLT. I simply cannot understand how they had the audacity to just start up again offering pet insurance after letting so many people down - it is totally disgusting.

Please keep posting; the Petguard people seem to have been overlooked compared to the coverage that Halifax/Lloyds customers are getting.

Really sorry to hear about your dog melbury - I hope everything turns out OK as this is just such an awful situation to be in :sad:

Hmmm...it's curious you haven't been contacted by the FOS; you'd think they'd contact everyone who'd lodged a complaint and tell them the same thing if they are holding off making any decisions 'til they decide their approach. I'll contact them tomorrow to get clarification on this.

I know Halifax/Lloyds are more in the news - because they're High Street names and had thousands of customers I suppose; I still plug away about JLT Online/NIG/Petguard. Got cover on my local radio BBC Sussex Breakfast and got interview with me about Petguard if you forward to 1:40 and listen to Mrs 'Absolutely Disgusted' !! :whoo:http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/p00pm7qc and the Telegraph do regular stories and Metro covered it in paper and in a blog: http://blogs.metro.co.uk/money/insuring-pets-isnt-the-same-as-insuring-houses-or-cars/

BBC Watchdog covered Halifax/Lloyds in their programme last week and it was on BBC Radio 4 You and Yours this morning You and Yours: Hosepipe use and care home fees (forward to 33.20).

I just piggy back in on any mention of Halifax/Lloyds and contact the programmes/journalists to let them know that it was the RBS underwriter NIG that pulled out of the Petguard/JLT Online policy that started this whole mess rolling and tell them my story.

On BBC Radio 4 You and Yours this morning they read a statement from Lloyds saying they are considering a settlement process and will contact those affected in a few weeks.. I've contacted the FSA (who will probably again say they can't tell me anything) to ask if they are talking to Lloyds and whether UK Insurance are involved in any talks with them regarding NIG pulling out of the market and dumping Petguard customers. I'll also contact UK Insurance and Stephen Hester's office (CEO RBS) to ask them directly if they're doing the same.

It's such a slow process but I do want to see the FOS process through to see if we get an offer and what that might be before I consider court action.

The sad thing is that many of us are suffering emotionally and financially while they dither about with not a care in the world for what they're putting us and our pets through :x

Edited by fidel
Inserted link

Thanks for your detailed reply Fidel,

I tried your link to BBC Sussex Breakfast and went forward to 1:40 on each day of this week, but unfortunately couldn't find your interview - when exactly was it?

I had a letter from the Adjudicator at FOS today, just saying the following, quote:

I write to inform you of the progress made on your complaint.

At present, I am currently awaiting further information from UK Insurance. As soon as I have received the information in question, I will contact you as soon as I have made an opinion on your complaint.

I would like to thank you for your co-operation at this time

I don't think it is looking good!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I think I have given them enough time now, allowing for Easter etc. I have had no response from them to my letter so therefore I need to now take action. I may need some help, but at the moment we are struggling with my sons serious illness so I may have to wait a while

MBNA

Settled after LBA

MINT

to go:

Barclays CC - to mcol

and some more

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Now had a reply from Thistle Insurance regarding Petguard, dont have a scanner so I will have to retype:

"I write further to your letter of and our previous letter dated relating to your previous pet insurance cover.

The comparisons you raise in your letter are not directly relevant to the circumstances surrounding your policy and the decision of the NIG Corporation (the Insurer) for the Petguard Scheme to withdraw from the market.

Your letter refers to the alleged mis-se4lling of policies that were described as "lifetime" cover. This was not the case with the policy cover that you took out with the Insurer.

We have reviewed the matter carefully and Petguard was clearly described as providing annual cover throughout the lterature and on the website. The cover provided contained a limit per condition per period of insurance as opposed to a finite limit per condition. If renewal was offered at the end of the 12 months any limits exhausted by a medical condition in the previous period of insurance were reset and classed as an ongoing condition rather than a pre-existing condition.

Contracts of insurance such as the ones we offered through the insurer are offered as annual policies, there is no legal obligation for an insurer to offer further terms once any period of cover has expired. Likewise there is no obligation on the insured to extend the policy for longer than a year if he or she does not see fit.

We acted in the capacity of an agent for the insurer in relation to Petguard and according to our records we never represented in adversiting material or policy documentation that the cover arranged through us with the insurer was lifetime cover. The information available clearly stated the options of insurance as being either that of Annual cover or 12 month cover.

I note that your complaint is with the FOS and we would recommend you to wait until their adjudication before committing to any legal expense. However should you wish to contact me again please do not hesitate to do so"

This insurance was clearly advertised as "lifetime cover" because that is what we were specifically looking for in a policy and my son would not have taken out the insurance if it was not marketed as such.

I have searched the internet for old information on the petguard insurance and it seems they have obviously got there first, but I did find this:

http://www.pet-insurance-discount.co.uk/petguard-offers-lifetime-pet-insurance-too.html (as it is not turning blue you will probably have to cut and paste into browser)

It clearly says Petguard offer two types of cover 12-month limited and lifetime.

I am fed up now of this lot squirming and wriggling, I am sure they would like me to wait for the FOS decision as they seem to be pretty toothless at the moment. I need help now with my next course of action please.

MBNA

Settled after LBA

MINT

to go:

Barclays CC - to mcol

and some more

Thanks for posting all of that TINK660.

I totally agree with you about the "lifetime cover" - it does specifically say that and so if that wasn't 100% what they meant, then they should not have used this at all in their literature as it was totally misleading and definitely influenced my decision to go with them.

I had a telephone call this week from the lady at the FOS who is handling my case, just to say that no decision has been made yet as due to all of the media attention this subject had received there is a lot involved:???: Apparently they have to update you every so often on how your claim is progressing!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

Now had a reply from Thistle Insurance regarding Petguard, dont have a scanner so I will have to retype:

"I write further to your letter of and our previous letter dated relating to your previous pet insurance cover.

The comparisons you raise in your letter are not directly relevant to the circumstances surrounding your policy and the decision of the NIG Corporation (the Insurer) for the Petguard Scheme to withdraw from the market.

Your letter refers to the alleged mis-se4lling of policies that were described as "lifetime" cover. This was not the case with the policy cover that you took out with the Insurer.

We have reviewed the matter carefully and Petguard was clearly described as providing annual cover throughout the lterature and on the website. The cover provided contained a limit per condition per period of insurance as opposed to a finite limit per condition. If renewal was offered at the end of the 12 months any limits exhausted by a medical condition in the previous period of insurance were reset and classed as an ongoing condition rather than a pre-existing condition.

Contracts of insurance such as the ones we offered through the insurer are offered as annual policies, there is no legal obligation for an insurer to offer further terms once any period of cover has expired. Likewise there is no obligation on the insured to extend the policy for longer than a year if he or she does not see fit.

We acted in the capacity of an agent for the insurer in relation to Petguard and according to our records we never represented in adversiting material or policy documentation that the cover arranged through us with the insurer was lifetime cover. The information available clearly stated the options of insurance as being either that of Annual cover or 12 month cover.

I note that your complaint is with the FOS and we would recommend you to wait until their adjudication before committing to any legal expense. However should you wish to contact me again please do not hesitate to do so"

This insurance was clearly advertised as "lifetime cover" because that is what we were specifically looking for in a policy and my son would not have taken out the insurance if it was not marketed as such.

I have searched the internet for old information on the petguard insurance and it seems they have obviously got there first, but I did find this:

http://www.pet-insurance-discount.co.uk/petguard-offers-lifetime-pet-insurance-too.html (as it is not turning blue you will probably have to cut and paste into browser)

It clearly says Petguard offer two types of cover 12-month limited and lifetime.

I am fed up now of this lot squirming and wriggling, I am sure they would like me to wait for the FOS decision as they seem to be pretty toothless at the moment. I need help now with my next course of action please.

Once again a plea, does anyone have any leaflets or anything from Petguard that mentions "lifetime" cover, I may approach my local vets and see if they have any older leaflets, I might strike lucky!

MBNA

Settled after LBA

MINT

to go:

Barclays CC - to mcol

and some more

Could you SAR them and get full details of your original application? There was a drop down box option on their website which read something like '12 month cover' and if you chose the 'no' option the price increased because you'd chosen continuing cover. Surely your original application should show this .................. and if they're right it would show otherwise so they have no reason to withhold this information even if it were legal for them to do so.

• 4 months later...

Well, it's only been just over a year now since I submitted my complaint to the FOS... You're probably aware that the FOS issued a provisional decision some time ago on Halifax & Lloyds lifetime cover pet insurance customers who had their policies axed and they have either been offered alternative policies and/or a lump sum & £200 compensation. Although there has been a lot of confusion and inconsistency as to who has been offered what and some new policies have had their premiums hiked up considerably. And of course there is nothing to stop these new polices being cancelled after 12 months as I don't believe they are like for like policies ie they're not the lifetime cover the customers thought they had bought in the first place.

I chased the Ombudsman to find out what on earth was happening with my complaint and recieved this reply today whcih indicates a Final decision will be made in 2 weeks and it will be found in our favour. Though quite what that means remains to be seen..

We are in the final stages of determining which business your complaint, along with other consumers complaints in the same situation as yourself, should be set up against. The ombudsman has consulted with all businesses involved, and reviewed their arguments.

The ombudsman then issued a provisional decision on the lead case to Thistle Insurance Services advising that this business should be responsible for the misrepresentation of its covered for life policy (underwritten by NIG).

Thistle provided its response two weeks ago and did not agree that it should assume liability. The ombudsman is now in the process of drafting a final decision (the last stage in the process). This decision will be binding and following this being issued, we will then be able to move forward with your complaint.

We hope that this will not take too much longer and that we will be able to progress your complaint shortly.

Thank you for your continued patience with this process. I understand you are in a difficult situation with your dog's inflammatory bowel disease.

I will let you as soon as the final decision is issued and we are able to move forward with your complaint.

Anyone else heard anything? Comments on above?

I get occasional emails from the FOS, last one received in September:

"I write to inform you of the progress made on your complaint.

As discussed previously, your complaint is still under review and we will hopefully be able to progress your case shortly.

I will update you once I have further information and your case can then be reviewed.

I would like to thank you for your co-operation at this time."

Hopefully they will arrive at a decision fairly soon.

• 3 months later...

It's been a while since anyone posted on here about the current situation with petguard so I thought I'd post where I have got to in all of this. I have received copies from the FOS of their provisional and final decisions in the lead (test) case against Thistle Insurance (the company they decided to hear the complaints against petguard with)

It makes interesting reading and the FOS has upheld the complaint and seemingly required Thistle to do more than they required of Halifax/Lloyds in the lead case for complaints against them.

They say that Thistle have to pay out for the lifetime of the dog, for any treatment etc that a new insurance company will not pay out for as it is considered a pre-existing condition. Any bills we have already paid that our new insurance company wouldn't pay out for Thistle have to reimburse plus 8% interest on top from the date we paid.

They issued the final decision in December 2012 and told Thistle they had to comply with the decision or come up with an alternative solution. I was told we would be contacted by Thistle with their proposal - I have still heard nothing from either Thistle or the FOS about my particular case.

If Thistle don't come up with an alternative proposal the only thing I am unhappy with is that the FOS decision in the lead case REQUIRES the customer to have insurance cover for the dog in place as a condition for Thistle paying out for anything the new insurance doesn't pay for. I'm unsure about that - I don't see why I should be forced to have another policy as long as I agree to cover any veterinary costs and treatment costs etc for my dog that Thistle aren't required to pay out for. What does everyone else think about this condition?

Anyone else heard anything back about their individual case? Has anyone received an individual proposal from Thistle?

Please share any information you have - thanks!

I'm afraid that I think that it is a reasonable condition - and I have to say that it would act in your favour because in the event that you need to take up the FOS solution, it will avoid any arguing with them or Thistle as to what is covered and what is not.

The idea is that you would not have been covered by the lifetime cover promise had you not had continuing insurance - and so basically that is what you are doing.

• 2 months later...

I have today received a letter from Petguard as as result of my complaint to them and Thisle where I alleged mis selling of the Lifetime pet Insurance for my dog.

They say as fidel outlined in respect of future claims, plus; "Alternatively, we are prepared to consider a lump sum settlement in relation to the claims elements should you wish to pursue that option. In event that we cannot reach agreement on that lump sum, the standard process will continue."

While considering my response I have a few questions that may be able to be answered on this forum.

Firstly; Anyone had the same offer?

Secondly; Has anyone pursued the lump sum settlement element?

If so what criteria was employed in ascertaining the lump sum settlement?

Seems to me that if I stay with sending them claims in some years time for pre exisiting conditions, they may get a little sicky at remembering what was agreed, plus there will be quite a bit of jockeying around what will be allowed as pre existing conditions and what will not in my opinion, so the lump sum does appeal to me at the moment.

Anyone who is waiting to see where this overall complaint was going, it's time to dip your toes in the water and write your complaint letter to Petguard and Thisle.

Hi PeKay - yes, I went back to FOS after I had the initial offer as I outlined in my earlier post & said I wanted Thistle to also consider a lump sum settlement. They agreed to consider this and I was asked to submit a figure via the FOS. I had no idea how to calculate such a sum but ended up totalling up all my dog's insurance claims with Petguard and any veterinary costs for pre-existing conditions that my dog has incurred since my policy was axed. I then took the monthly average and multiplied it by the remainder of my dog's life expectancy according to his breed. It turned out to be a not insubstantial sum and FOS have told me Thistle are now considering this and will get back to me.

I will see what happens but have told FOS I may still wish to pursue my complaint to a Final Decision OR may still want to consider the first offer of meeting any claims not met by ny new insurance company etc. I, however, do not relish future dealings with a company I do not trust so a lump sum settlement and to wash my hands of all of this is the most attractive option at the moment but not if they come back with a silly offer. Can you let me know how you decide to calculate a lump sum? I'd be interested if I should have considered anything else in my calculation. Thanks.

Hi PeKay - yes, I went back to FOS after I had the initial offer as I outlined in my earlier post & said I wanted Thistle to also consider a lump sum settlement. They agreed to consider this and I was asked to submit a figure via the FOS. I had no idea how to calculate such a sum but ended up totalling up all my dog's insurance claims with Petguard and any veterinary costs for pre-existing conditions that my dog has incurred since my policy was axed. I then took the monthly average and multiplied it by the remainder of my dog's life expectancy according to his breed. It turned out to be a not insubstantial sum and FOS have told me Thistle are now considering this and will get back to me.

I will see what happens but have told FOS I may still wish to pursue my complaint to a Final Decision OR may still want to consider the first offer of meeting any claims not met by ny new insurance company etc. I, however, do not relish future dealings with a company I do not trust so a lump sum settlement and to wash my hands of all of this is the most attractive option at the moment but not if they come back with a silly offer. Can you let me know how you decide to calculate a lump sum? I'd be interested if I should have considered anything else in my calculation. Thanks.

Hi I received a letter from the FOS asking if I would accept an offer from Thistle to re-imburse costs and settle any future costs which I accepted. I then received a letter from Petguard with my compensation cheque which also informed me that they would be prepared to consider a lump sum settlement. I telephoned them to ask how to go about this and they advised me to makes them an offer in writing which I have done and received a response back very quickly informing me that they are looking into my proposal and will be in touch shortly. To work out my figure I have worked out costs over the last 14 months and then worked out the annual amount of treatment for the rest of my dogs predicted lifespan, I have also spoken to my dogs hydrotherapist to see what else could possibly happen to him due to his hip condition and added these costs on. I would prefer a settlement just to get the matter out of the way as I am worried that after a year or so of claiming we could end up back to square one and having to go back through the Ombudsman! I will update again when I receive my next letter, I am sure it will be a silly offer back!

I have received the same offer and have been told to put what I require in way of lump sum settlement in writing, therefore I have estimated the amount spent on treatment in the year we were with Petguard and times it by the expected remaining life expectancy of my dog. It does come to quite a considerable amount, so will just have to wait and see.

MBNA

Settled after LBA

MINT

to go:

Barclays CC - to mcol