Admiral Insurance - Questionable Tactics

bottomburp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3884 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We took out car insurance with Admiral in April 2010 and paid the whole year up front. At the time we lived on a busy road and had to park on the road.

In January we moved house. We notified Admiral that we had moved to a safer area and that the car was now parked on a driveway, behind a security gate. Thanks they said, we'll charge you approx £15 for updating our records and about £15.00 for the less secure parking and worse area...Hang on a sec we said, it’s a safer area, look at the police data base and we're now parked off road. Admiral wouldn’t budge.

We then received a letter saying they wanted the [approx] £30 immediately. We telephoned and asked for a bit of time to pay as we were strapped for cash. No worries they said.

Before the payment date we rang again and asked for a bit more time. Again they said no worries, we'll put an "indefinite suspension" on the time to pay.

Today (4th March) we receive two letters from Admiral. Both are dated 25th February. Slightly different wording in each but both inform us that they have already cancelled the insurance as of 15th February ... so we have unwittingly been driving around uninsured for nearly 3 weeks. And, to add insult to injury, they want £16.00 from us for the privilege of having our insurance cancelled /for our having been driving about uninsured /for them stealing two months premiums from us... We telephoned Admiral, explained what had happened, and their reply was along the lines of "too bad, not bothered, your insurance is cancelled."

We are, to put it mildly, absolutely livid! We’ve reported this to the Financial Ombudsman. They’ve given us a reference number and are writing to Admiral. The FO seemed to agree that this was shocking because (1) Admiral had told us they had put an "indefinite suspension" on the payment (2) they wrote to us after cancelling the insurance, leaving us uninsured for around 3 weeks (3) they want money to cancel the insurance they had specifically told us they would not cancel...

Apparently we have to allow 8 weeks for Admiral to get back to us. Then we can ask the FO to investigate. Meanwhile, we have been relieved of around 2 months insurance, are expected to pay around £45.00 in "charges" and have had our insurance cancelled (which will presumably have a knock-on effect on future insurance).

We have taken out insurance with another company but feel we have been totally misled / defrauded (two months premiums gone to waste) / libelled (they'll probably notify their database they cancelled our insurance / ripped-off - "charges" etc

We are thinking of pursuing them through the courts for damages etc. Anyone else had this sort of trouble with their insurers?

Edited by bottomburp
typos

My posts are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. You should seek the advice of a qualified insured professional.

• 2 weeks later...

SIMILAR situation with them NOT telling us we were uninsured but on 2 cars (multi-car policy) now they are trying to FINE US!? but £175 is this even legal?

Like you we paid upfront like you they charged us for changes (that should have been a reduction in the logical world) AND WORSE than that i think that must be when they changed our policy date from May 2011 to Feb 2011 stealing 3 months from us?

I have repeatedly questioned the end of insurance date with them but NO-ONE seems to know or has BOTHERED to get back to me when they made a mistake on our insurance initially the advisor said "no-one's really got their head around multi car and how it works yet so i apologise for the mistake but TBH this was bound to happen sooner or later"!!??

Does anyone know if you can get a statement of everything paid and for what from an insurance company please? and if so what i should ask for?

what goes around comes around

EVERY cloud does have a silver lining you just have to look really REALLY hard sometimes..

I sent them a very strongly worded letter, giving them the reference I had been given by the Financial Ombudsman and threatenting to take them to court, talk to the media etc etc if I did not get a resolution within 7 days. And I complained in similar terms via their website. I also checked my phone records and sent them details of every call I had made showing date, time, duration and number called.

On day five of the 7-day deadline I had a call from a Complaint Executive who apologised profusely and said that it was all their fault blah blah. She suggested re-instating the policy. No good as we'd taken out cover elsewhere. (I said I thought that it was illegal to have two sets of insurance for the same vehicle and she said it wouldn't matter for a short time???).

So she offered a refund of approx £34 and suggested rounding-it up to £50 as a gesture of goodwill. We negotiated. I got the offer increased to £34 + £50 goodwill. She then insisted she had to refund the debit card I had used to pay the premium due to "anti-money laundering". What the heck has this got to do with money laundering I said, you cancelled the insurance... she insisted she had to refund the card. I suggested that I'd be happy to go back to the Financial Ombudsman (I understand raising a complaint costs these firms money) and suddenly she decided she could send a cheque after all.

Today I received said cheque, it had been sent to the old address (how predictable) - thankfully I have a re-direct with the Post Office.

What she did say was that the agents had not followed company guidelines and the matter would be taken up with their managers. She was also extremely anxious about the company's reputation.

Hope this helps. bb

Edited by bottomburp
typos of course!
  • Confused 1

My posts are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. You should seek the advice of a qualified insured professional.

thanks yeah it DEFO gives me a starting point with them!!

btw - I'm VERY frustrated with the call centre peeps too was there a number you rang to speak to the right department first time? if so could i ask what it is please?

what goes around comes around

EVERY cloud does have a silver lining you just have to look really REALLY hard sometimes..

The call centre numbers I called were 0871 882 8208 and 0871 882 0000 - they were hopeless, refused to help, forgot to mention the policy had been cancelled etc.

The complaints people can be contacted by email at [email protected] and the telephone number I have for Yvonne Seage, Complaint Executive, is 0800 118 1695 ext 835705.

bb

• 2 years later...

I really did my price comparison shopping and Admiral came up best for price... there is a very good reason. They are pathetic. I am trying to be neutral but they are what they are. When joining a man phoned me back and sold me a couple of cheap little extras, fair enough, but I asked for my mid month payments to be changed to the 1st of each month as my partner and I prefer this. "Yeah that's no problems sir!" yada yada. I'm sure you see where this is going... didn't happen. I assumed it had, mid month they try to take the cash, I didn't have it ( I get paid weekly) letter comes through saying the direct debit has been missed.

I phone again, this time a lady who spreads the missed payment over the rest of the policy, changes the date to the 1st and sets up the direct debit again. Phew! Glad that's sorted! I go on my two week holiday leaving £300 in the bank for the payment on the 1st, wouldn't want a repeat of last time.......... Didn't get set up.

I call back today actually, (first day back in UK), angry now, as the direct debit is cancelled, they want £360 in a 8 days or it's £46.50 cancellation fee and the outstanding payment that had to be spread and the September payment. It's a D20 they say so you can't just pay the two payments over the phone and be up to date, there is nothing we can do. Utter Garbage.

I asked why there was no communication of this issue via email or a phone call.

We sent you one on the 8th of September...

No you didn't I have my email open...

Oh, well sometimes it can go to your portal...

Sometimes! Why didn't you send it to my email I have registered?

Well, sometimes we send it to your portal...

But if I believe there to be no issue why would I check the portal?

Sorry that's the way it is

Well you know what? If I can stop one poor soul signing up to this incompetent circus that is Admiral then I have not wasted my time. Remember fellow consumers, you get what you pay for.

[email protected]

According to info online the above is an email address to the PA of Admirals CEO Henry Engelhardt

I would suggest that you register an official complaint by email to [email protected] and copy in to the CEO's PA.

Admiral have obviously failed on 2 occasions to follow your payment instructions. There is no reason why they cannot collect the current outstanding premium and then collect the remaining payments each month on the 1st.

http://www.admiral.com/policyDocs/admComplaints.pdf

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread