Willo53 - Tax Underpayment

Willo53
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4852 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Rather unexpectedly and poorly timed I received a £2,500 tax demand from Inland Rev at the beginning of December. The tax years in question seem to be 2008/09 and 2009/10.

Now I did have two jobs for this period and finished my part time (2nd job) in August 2010. The issue I have is that I have always instructed my employers that I have two jobs and as far as I believed this information should have been provided to the tax office. I know that the Inland Revenue have been widely known to have botched the data on the system and their data is unreliable.

I am in a poor financial situation at present and there is no way I have the spare cash to pay it. I would really appreciate some advice on my below questions:

What should be first official response to the Inland Reveneue in that I want to dispute the underpayment?

What are the chances that I will be able to get them to wipe the payment completely?

If a payment plan has to be agreed whats the lowest they will agree to?

It seems completely unfair that they can just drop £2500 bill on my doorsteps - what actual rights do I have to defend against this?

Apologies if the questiosn may appear quite basic, but I am literally coming into this with very minimunal knowledge and a headstart with advice from erudiate members would be warmly appreciated.

Best

W

The same thing happened to me about 2 years ago - I received a payment for Tax I'd over paid only to be told a year later that they had miscalculated & that I had actually underpaid my tax for that year. They demanded the money in one payment.

I tried to make payment by CC which they don't accept, as they don't want people to get into debt, when I asked to pay in instalments I was told I should have had the money to pay as I knew they were investigating - it was a battle & I was on the phone to them for over an hour but eventually they agreed to instalments - I think I offered about £100 a month which they grudgingly accepted - but when I asked to pay on a certain date in the month close to pay day, which was a different date in the month that I made the first instalment I was met with more questions about how I could afford it this month but not be able to pay it on that date everymonth!

Good luck

Hello Willo. There is a Tax and Benefits forum here at CAG. You might consider posting a link to this thread or a summary of what you're asking onto the other forum. Please don't copy and paste what you wrote here, or we'll both be in trouble :).

I hope you get some help.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi Willo,

I've moved your thread into the Benefits, Tax Credits forum for you.

You should read my reply on this thread which has similarities to your problem - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?294614-Tax-demand-i.r.

Hope this helps.

8)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)