suspended from work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4835 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I work for an agency (been with them for 3 months).

Last week myself and another agency colleague were told to re-wrap pallets which had been infested with mice (pallets of food had mouse droppings inside them).Checking each one and removing just the trays of jars /packets that had droppings/or had been chewed through.

This work was at another warehouse the same company own.

We were working alongside the company's own permanent staff too,they were also checking and re-wrapping pallets.

Myself and my colleague were told that mouse droppings had been found in pallets that we had previously re-wrapped.However the company had failed to record who had wrapped what pallet.

We got told to go home and we are suspended until further investigations have been done.

Are we entitled to full pay whilst suspended?

this seems to be the "norm" these days. Big companies using agency staff on temp ongoing contracts.The agencies themselves not issuing contracts and no induction before starting work.I have requested a copy of my contract ,but have yet to recieve it. I asked for hloiday pay too...three weeks ago and have yet to recieve it. Where are all the full time permanent jobs?

In answer to your question, I doubt you are entitled to pay whilst suspended as the company will not be paying the agency and not using your services. I doubt the agency will pay you but the contract would have helped. If in doubt write a letter to the agency and the company and ask the question, they can only say "no".

Hmmmmm, mouse infested food pallets. Sounds distinctly dodgy to me.

There may be a 'lever' here if people start being difficult.

I have to agree. I am rapidly thinking through what I have in the cupboard. Luckily, I don't buy much aside from fresh foods, so not many jars and packets to get rid of!

My wife went out to our garage to get something off our store shelf last year and came face to face with a rat nibbling away at something. The shelf was 5 foot off the ground, god knows how it got up there!!!!!

A rat can walk across the ceiling

I wouldn't bother with them. How ridiculous to pull you up on something like that anyway, how can anyone be expected to go through pallets full of mouse poo.

These agencies should be stopped, it's completely wrong how a lot of agency workers have to work for lower pay, and with fewer employment rights compared to the employees they work alongside. All hail the ConDems- labour were going to bring in equal pay and better rights for agency workers, can't see this happening with this lot in government. Perhaps Mssrs Cleggeron would like to spend their days checking out mouse poo & then be suspended for not detecting enough of it, i'd laugh if i didn't feel so sorry for agency workers. It's exploitation at its worst; it thrives on the insecurities felt by the most vulnerable workers in society &wants stopping.

Apologies for the rant everyone, but this really does tick me off

I wouldn't bother with them. How ridiculous to pull you up on something like that anyway, how can anyone be expected to go through pallets full of mouse poo.

These agencies should be stopped, it's completely wrong how a lot of agency workers have to work for lower pay, and with fewer employment rights compared to the employees they work alongside. All hail the ConDems- labour were going to bring in equal pay and better rights for agency workers, can't see this happening with this lot in government. Perhaps Mssrs Cleggeron would like to spend their days checking out mouse poo & then be suspended for not detecting enough of it, i'd laugh if i didn't feel so sorry for agency workers. It's exploitation at its worst; it thrives on the insecurities felt by the most vulnerable workers in society &wants stopping.

Apologies for the rant everyone, but this really does tick me off

It doesn't really help our OP though, WM. Ranting, I mean. Let's hope they manage to get a good resolution to this.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

It doesn't really help our OP though, WM. Ranting, I mean. Let's hope they manage to get a good resolution to this.

My best, HB

By the sound of things the employer doesn't seem up to much. Maybe a visit from the environmental health department would be more appropriate and provide a better outcome for both the agency workers and employees involved, not to mention the company's customer, and dare i say it the end consumer!

The poor agency worker who is obviously really worried about this matter could walk in to another agency on Monday and be placed elsewhere relatively quickly; from my experience, and i know someone who has worked for a few agencies, they take new workers on swiftly, and don't press for references all too often, and in any case he/she could ask a previous employer for a reference. What i'm trying to say is that whilst waiting for the outcome of any disciplinary, it might be best to try to be placed with an alternative agency,to be working and have some money coming in. Believe me, it is unlikely that the agency involved with show much loyalty towards their workers, they will probably just move on to the next name on their list.

My wife went out to our garage to get something off our store shelf last year and came face to face with a rat nibbling away at something. The shelf was 5 foot off the ground, god knows how it got up there!!!!!

It would have to be a rat who had not met my cat. Eveen I am afraid of the cat!

Well how far off the ground was it when you originally put it up ?