• Tweets

• Paint is a free programme on any Windows PC. But don't worry, the choice here is not either perfection or nothing. As you say, use your scanner, save the file ... and then use the "choose files" option when you post to CAG to add the file. We can do all the redacting and converting to the correct file type at this end.  The important thing is just to get the info to us. Why not do an experiment this afternoon and see if the above works?  
    • I see they're trying to round up asylum seekers and lock them up for about three months so they can be put on planes to Rwanda. I'm a bit surprised that this is legal.  
    • thought for the day "Prime ministers need a big strategy that tells you where you’re going, you need a bunch of tactics that get you there, and you need the ability to take everybody else with you."   Now I know you are all thinking 'why is the  UKs destination Rwanda ???
    • Asset Link filed for a default CCJ against me, in relation to an old Barclaycard debt which I apparently signed an agreement for back in 2000.   I did not own a Barclaycard in 2000 so I know this is not true.  The CCJ notice was sent to an old address so I did not receive it.  Years later when I found out about the CCJ when I applied for credit, I put an application in to have the CCJ set aside.   As part of the set aside case, I was asked by the judge to provide a draft defence, should the CCJ be set aside.   The defence I provided was that I did not admit to the debt as I had not been provided with any evidence of an original loan agreement.   I won the case and the CCJ was set aside.   Link then filed to court again to make me pay the debt.   We both filed directions questionnaires and the judge allocated the claim to the small claims track.   As part of the directions, additional directions given were as follows ' Additional Directions in a claim for an Assigned Debt - Because the claim is in respect of an assigned debt the Court makes the following directions for the management of claim.  The claim shall be automatically struck out at 4pm on 3 April 2024 unless, before that time, the Claimant delivers to the Court and to the Defendant the following documents'  It then listed various documents such as an original agreement, deed of assignment, notice of default, statement of account setting out how the alleged debt accrued under that agreement etc.     The Claimant failed to provide these documents within the deadline provided and instead I received a copy of a bundle of documents provided by them in preparation for the court date, this was received weeks after the deadline.    I have called the Court to ask if it has been automatically struck out and they advised that it is not automatic and that I should still send my witness statement by the deadline provided, which is Wednesday.  This does not give me much time to prepare my witness statement.   I have never done anything like this before and I am unclear what my witness statement should include.  My thoughts were that I should keep it simple and stick to the facts, like the fact thy have not provided evidence of the original agreement, or the deed of assignment of the debt.   They have provided a copy of a default notice from Baclaycard dated 2015, this states a figure of £550 but the debt they say I owe is £10k.   I am not sure what makes a valid default notice?   I have previously requested proof of the debt from Barclaycard directly and have evidence of emails between us where they have been unable to provide me with the agreement or any documents at all relating to the debt.   Should I include these as an appendix?  Are there any other documents I should include in my bundle?    I have also tried to mediate with the claimants, to save the court costs and time, on a without prejudice basis, but the claimants solicitors refused to mediate.   Should i state this in my witness statement too to show the judge that I have been reasonable and they haven't? Many thanks   Louise
    • Right that's exactly why so many drivers got caught, it had been that way for many years then suddenly changes with no warning
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Stay away from Comet! I have been treat ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTINGLY!

nerrit
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4816 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is warning for everybody who may read this! I absolutely do not want anybody else suffering the treatment and unnecessary stress that has resulted in my dealings from Comet! My advice to everybody is under no circumstances should you buy from Comet!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In September I purchased a laptop (Sony Vaio, for college) from Comet for £519.99

along with an extended warranty plan for £139.99 which I was nagged into buying by the salesguy.

One month later the laptop suffered a mishap which resulted in a cracked screen.

Submitted the laptop to Comet who assured me it would be repaired and returned within 1 month.

They also assured that the Hard drive would remain untouched and unharmed as it contained all my college work.

1 month passed with no word from Comet so I called them up.

They were waiting on parts that apparently just arrived the day previous - took a month for parts to arrive?

They promised to call me back in a few days once it had been repaired.

1 week later, no call? I am informed laptop is damaged beyond repair

and as they no longer stock the model of the original laptop that I would have to choose another laptop.

I was also informed that because of Comets decision to replace my laptop rather then repair it that the warranty I purchased it was no longer valid;

after two months of purchasing it.

I had asked for my HD to be returned to me for which I was told it had been disposed of (I have proof in email form).

The loss of my HD resulted in the failure of my college unit and a tonne of unnecessary stress.

I have recently discovered that Comet do in fact have my HD and are withholding it from me unless I pay a fee of £10,

this I have proof of following an exchange with a Comet rep on moneysavingexpert.com

Before this information coming to light I mailed Comet for the 6th time asking why my laptop was disposed of without asking my permission first.

They tell me that following inspection of my damaged laptop that the motherboard was found to have fault.

The laptop was functioning perfectly before the mishap and an issue with the motherboard is surely something I would notice myself having built my own desktops previously.

This was the first time I was informed of the faulty motherboard as they had neglecting to tell me on the phone following my call.

So I've been told I'll have to choose a new laptop.

I get online and look at their stock and there are NO laptops that match the spec of my original purchase that does not exceed the the £519.99.

I inform them of this and ask them what I'm supposed to do but I am responded with a simple "not our problem".

A few days later I went in to complain, thinking I could get things moving if I went in person.

I was told again that I would just have to settle for an inferior laptop, that it wasn't their problem.

The guy that sold me the extended warranty turned round and said to me "Yeah well that's the gamble you take when you decide to buy the extended warranty"!!! Unbelievable!

So I stand instore and I say, "Okay, I'll choose a new one today" but no, no. They are adamant that I cannot choose a new laptop until I've recieved some letter of confirmation.

Apparently one should have been sent out to me but nothing has arrived.

I request them to send another out on the computer at the desk, which they do.

Two weeks later, no letter. The first hasn't arrived, the second hasn't arrived.

I call up Comet, the woman tells me that there is no record of any letters being sent out to me.

I found out through email a month later that I didn't even need this magic letter, that it was only for kitchen appliances such as fridges, dishwashers etc.

It has been 4 months down the line now, constantly emailing, constantly phoning, constantly arguing but receiving excuses and lies.

They had failed to provide me with a replacement laptop that matches the spec of my original, all others exceed price.

Have recently found out this is a breech of contract as in this incident they are supposed to provide me with the same model of laptop even if it means sourcing it at their expense.

I was seriously stressed out, failing college so I backed down and decided to accept an inferior laptop.

Went into Comet where they refused to hand over the laptop I had chosen despite it being feet away from me in their backroom,

insisted I had to go home and order by phone instead.

Requested that they make the order since I was having problems with my phone at home, of which they did.

Was told to go home and wait for Comet to call.

Comet never called so before the store closed I called to arrange delivery myself.

Was PROMISED laptop would be delivered on Friday.

Came home from college on Friday (yesterday) and they never showed up.

It is Saturday today and I have filed report with Trading Standards. The probability of this reaching court is certain.

I also want to stress to you that in the 4 months since I placed my laptop into Comets care

have I not once received any phone call or email to update me on the situation.

Literally not one phone call, even when they assure me.

My mother had also been banned from entering our local store following her going in to negotiate on my behalf (I was attending college).

So I have an appointment with Trading Standards on Monday.

I've been told to bring in printed copies of all exchanges made with Comet so I'm currently typing out a full report and orgasnizing all this paperwork.

I think this is probably going to reach court but I've been advised that Comet won't let it get that far,

that the furthest they'll meet me is on the court steps and that they'll probably make an offer then.

I've already threatened court before, reminded them of it 3 times and they obviously thought I was bluffing.

If anybody is interested in how this ends up, let me know here and I'll update with any details when they happen.

Of course they believe your bluffing, you have threatened three times and nothings happened, what are they supposed to think.

I would take in a letter marked Letter Before Action and give them 48 hours to deliver the laptop to you. This time, don't bluff, DO IT. Get right on to MCOL and make your claim on line 1 minute after the 48 hours.

reclaim the useless ppi too.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I can quite believe what you've gone through. I've just resolved a situation with a faulty TV, gave them the option of replacement or court, nothing else. Was fed a bunch of lies over the phone about 'senior engineers' etc but it was just talk. Horrendous after sales service. I will be getting my replacement TV from them then that will be the last time i go into a Comet store.