Request to be demoted?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4849 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Would appreciate any advice.

I am currently Assistant Manager in a small company. Too much stress, little support, too many politics. Now wish to request a transfer to a lower level post which is available. Do I have the right to do this? If so, how do I go about it?

Thanks to anyone who can offer advice or experience

Now wish to request a transfer to a lower level post which is available. Do I have the right to do this?

Hi Helenbee, welcome to CAG.

Sorry to hear about your problems at work. As regards the 'new' position, you're 'rights' in many respects will be like any other of the applicants for the role - i.e. broadly speaking a right to be 'fairly' considered for the role.

In addition to this you obviously already work for this ER so I would have thought in many respects it is in both party's interests to maintain your continuity of employment? - Your ER 'liked' you enough to originally employ you as an AM, so why would they now not consider you for a lessor role - assuming they can replace your AM role and also that the relationship has not deteriorated between you and your ER since you got the job as AM?

Why not have an informal chat with a manager and explain you are thinking of applying for the lessor role, explain why, and ask if that would be a problem for anyone? I assume they need to plan who your replacement as AM will be so it will help them if you can give them sufficient advance warning.

How long have you worked there?

Che

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

Hi and thanks for the reply

I am in my 5th year of working for the company. My main worry is that if I apply for the lesser post, and they turn me down, where do I stand? Would it be seen that I was 'resigning' from my current post of AM?

Any further advice greatly appreciated.

Thankyou. I wish I had found this Forum sooner!

Hi Helenbee

I suppose technically you could have the informal chat, if all seems good. Then apply for the new role officially. However explain when interviewed for the new role you have to give X weeks notice under your current contract and then get the formal offer of the new job in writing to start in X weeks.

Then you resign from AM role, MAKING IT CLEAR in the resignation letter that the resignation is contingent upon the written offer of the role, of course not forgetting to formally 'accept' new offer also!

Then I suppose at least you would have a potential case for BOC if the new role were withdrawn? but why would they 'play you' like that. Do you have a reason for you apparent distrust of this ER?

Che

There is 'more than one way to skin a cat', and I'm sure this is not the only option

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

I would agree with elche. You seem very uncertain about the company playing fair, and if there is a reason for this, it would be better to tell us, because the advice is only as good as the details you provide.