• Tweets

• In my experience (not with car payments) but with many other things, my partner has been ill and signed off in the past and we have been unable to meet various commitments.  Naturally if you ring the call centre they are going to fob you off and tell you you must pay, that's why that never ever works. I would obtain a note from her GP listing all her health issues plus medications plus side effects, then write to the finance company with a copy of it, explaining the situation, as you have here, asking for a payment holiday. Perhaps mention that the car is very much needed for hospital appointments etc. It's likely the finance company would rather you pay till term end than, chase you for money they will never see, and sell the car at auction for a loss,  You can search some of my threads going back years, advising people to do this for Council Tax, Tax Credits, HMRC, Even a solicitors company and it always works, because contrary to popular belief people are reasonable.
    • Sorry, I haven't ever seen one of these agreements. Read it all and look out for anything that says when she can withdraw and when she is committed to go ahead. If it isn't clear she may need to call the housing provider and simply say what you posted here, she doesn't want to go ahead and how does she withdraw her swap application?
    • Thank you! Your head is like a power bank of knowledge.  Her health issues are short term, due to a relationship breakdown she took it pretty hard and has been signed off work on medication for 3 months. She only started her job in February 24 so does not qualify for any occupational sick benefits, which is where the ssp only comes in. (You will see me posting a few things over the coming days, whilst I try and sort some things for her)  I sat with her last night relaying all this back and she does want to work out a plan, she was ready to propose £100 for the next 3 months and then an additional £70 per month onto of her contractual to "catch up" but Money247 rejecting the payment holiday and demanding £200 thew her, which is why I came on here.   
    • I've looked at your case specifically more.   Term 8bii reads " when, in accordance with instructions from the Customer or the Consignee, the Consignment is left in a safe place" Their terms choose to not define safe, so they are put to proof that the location is safe. If your property opens onto a street its a simple thing of putting a google earth image and pointing out that its not a safe place
    • New rules and higher rates resulted in a jump in the number of savers opening accounts at the start of this year's Isa season.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

interim charging order

pushbike
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4829 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I unsuccessfully defended a ccj last year against howard cohen a credit card debt for £1900 . the judge ordered the amount but did not specify any monthly payt etc. howard cohen have now applied for an interim charging order on my property can i do anything to avoid this - will they accept an agreed monthly payment now. any advise please as i cannot afford to pay the £1900 but can make a small monthly payment

Hi there

Howard - Cohen --what a suprise --another of CL Finance / The Lewis Group / Cattles so called henchmen.

I don't know why DCA's etc are still going down this pointless route of a CO for these types of debts. First since your debt is covered via the various CCA's then NO INTEREST can be added to the amount on the charging order -- Note here NO INTEREST CAN BE ADDED TO THE AMOUNT ON THE CHARGING ORDER AFTER ITS GRANTED. Interest between CCJ and date of Charging order can be allowed if its in the CCJ. After CO it STOPS DEAD.

If they attempt to say the CO allows interest to continue to accrue then the CO sn't been properly executed and can be SET ASIDE.

In any case there has to have been an initial CCJ which has then itself been defaulted on before they can go for CO's.

However if you defended a CCJ then presumably the CCJ does NOT exist. If it does there must be conditions on it that you have not complied with.

BEFORE OFFERING ANY MONEY TO THESE PARASITES CHECK THE STATUS OF THE CCJ --does it exist or not. If it does and there is no fixed amount to be paid then you can't have broken any agreement so no CO.

Do if you have grounds for defending the CO do it . Others on this Forum can advise on defending in this case or if its too late having the CO set aside.

After the Interim they have to go back to court and make it final.

Now on a 1900 GBP they would be TOTALLY LAUGHED OUT OF COURT if they took any further action -- they will just have to sit this one out until you decide to move or sell say in 30 years time --meanwhile the debt is valuless -- inflation etc having taken its toll.

If they do have legal grounds for a CO then I'd just let them do it and THEN offer them a full and final of say 800 GBP -- some of these companies would rather have the 800 GBP in a short space of time than wait 20 years for an ever diminishing debt.

The courts these days in any case don't really like the use of CO's for CREDIT CARD and other "smallish" bits of Consumer debt-- although currently its still within the law so a judge has to comply if the conditions are valid. Moves are afoot to ban this practice for debts of under 25,000 GBP but we are still waiting on this one.

Don't get scared of a CO -- in most cases whilst its annoying at least it stops INTEREST. A properly executed SD is a far more potent weapon which while can be tackled needs a LOT more work on your part generally so at least be thankful they haven't gone down this route yet.

Incidentally CL tend to buy whole parcels of debt - you can estimate what they paid for your debt by estimating the value of the "debt" in the portfolio against the value they paid for it and then break down the mean value.

I would be very surprised if your actual "1900" GBP debt cost them any more than about 25 GBP -- if even that. Sometimes these debts are sold for literally Pennies in the pound -- a totally EVIL and IMMORAL trade -- and its usually the lowest of the low who end up in these types of businesses.

I really have been totally surprised at how I've seen the so called Debt Collection "Industry" treat people who usually though no fault of their own have got into these circumstances while the Banks etc have been benefiting HUGELY at the taxpayers expense.

Cheers

jimbo

Edited by jimbo45
Clarify Interest on CO-- Up to CO date Interest CAN be added if in CCJ

Hi Thanks Jimbo - feel a bit better - I tried my hardest to defend CCA and at least the judge did not award them any costs because of the shoddy way they had acted in sending correspondence.

I am being really ignorant here but can you explain what a SD is and what it means

Thanks

Hi there an SD is a Statuatory Demand which basically means just that -- the Creditor can Demand money without further ado IMMEDIATELY or they can apply to make you Bankrupt. They DON'T NEED TO GO TO COURT AGAIN TO GET THE MONEY.

Making you Bankrupt however costs the DCA's money so its usually more of a nasty threat than a real possibility -- still an SD is a LEGAL document and YOU MUST DEAL WITH IT -- fortunately in the few cases where people actually get presented with these there are plenty of grounds for getting them squashed since the delivery of an SD has to be carried out by quite strict and correct legal procedures.

In your case if you can't realistically defend the CO just let them go for it and hope they make a mistake of allowing Interest to accumulate to the amount on the CO -- then you can say "Little round objects" to them and get the CO lifted.

If they do it correctly just sit there for say half a year -- don't pay them anything -- pay off any other pressing creditors or try and build up a cash reserve. Then offer them a full and Final --

You are in a better haggling position than you possibly realize here. As I said these companies got SO GREEDY they thought getting a CO would be a sure fire way of getting their full debt paid back quickly -- they wrongfully assumed everybody moves house every 5 mins.

In the current state of the housing market they will have to wait a VERY LONG TIME INDEED to get paid. If they send nasty letter about "Forced Sale" just laugh -- No court would allow an entire home to be forceably flogged of for less credit card debt than the value of a fairly mediocre used car.

Cheers

jimbo

would be very surprised if your actual "1900" GBP debt cost them any more than about 25 GBP -- if even that. Sometimes these debts are sold for literally Pennies in the pound -- a totally EVIL and IMMORAL trade -- and its usually the lowest of the low who end up in these types of businesses.

Jimbo, I recall a poster on CAG some time ago mentioning they managed to find out how much a debt purchaser paid Barclaycard for their debt - it was the princely sum of 3%! Not sure how they achieved this, or if it is correct.

Hi there

Excuse the slight drift of the post here verging on to Off Topic but in order to answer previous posters question this bit of info needs to be understood.

You need to understand a bit about "Derivatives" trading on the exchanges to get to the bottom of these -- but essentally a "Derivative" is essentially buying "an Option" in the "Asset" without actually OWNING the underlying asset.

In Stock exchange parlance you are trading the DERIVATIVE of the asset not the actual UNDERLYING ASSET ITSELF.

For example you could sell someone the "Right to buy your car at 4000 GBP any time within the next 6 months" and for this the person buying the right would pay you say 300 GBP. The person doesn't actually have to BUY your car but he can "Execise his right" any time until the option expires. You get to keep the 300 GBP whatever happens. If you sell the car you get the sale price agreed 4000 GBP.

So what you have done here is traded in the right to buy your car -- not traded in the actual car itself. The option derivative here is your Car.

This is known on the market as "Covered Calls / Puts " and are used also a lot in Hedge Fund trading.

Now debt buying works the same way -- the debts are parcelled up into a "Derivative" and sold by the Bank to the DCA / Debt collection company. What the Debt company has done is to pay the Bank for the right to deal in the underlying "Securities" in the Fund -- the nominal debts that the bank wants to be shot of.

As far as the "Financial Markets" are concerned its a win win situation since the Banks are shot of their "Non Performing debts" while the GREEDY DCA's have the right to obtain the "debts" for anything they can extort out of their usually hapless victims.

By reading various Stock exchange sources one can glean what these "Funds" trade for and applying fairly basic mathematics can come up with a realistic "guess" of what people like CL Finance / Capquest or others actually paid for your debt.

1% to 5% is pretty par for the course for this type of "Market" -- depending on how bad the banks think the debt is.

Sorry for on a DEBT managing Forum explaining a bit about how the Stock Market works -- but if you understand where these VISCIOUS companies are coming from you can see why they WILL spend a little bit extra money in going as far as possible to retrieve their money

If they think that say for a debt they purchased for 25 GBP even paying 2 or 3 hundred pounds in court costs etc makes it for them a worthwhile investment if they think they will gain several THOUSAND pounds at the end of it.

You have to distinguish between a basic "Debt collection Service" who in most cases you can see off and those who actually PURCHASED your debt.

Really horrible but true which is why you should do ANYTHING legally in your powers to thwart this whole NASTY, STINKING ROTTEN business.

Cheers

jimbo

Edited by jimbo45

Hi Jimbo, thanks again for your advise I will try to hang on in there. Would you be so kind to look at my other new thread - i have looked on this forum to try and follow the right course of action . I just know from reading the other posts that the POC on my relatives form are very vague and wondered if I should still send off the usual CPR request when the POC does not mention any agreement just an account. It is definitely not a bank overdraft account or any other bank account debt.

Thanks

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?294062-cpr-18-request-needed-please-advise

Hi there

Before you can even defend this you want to get the actual POC -- waht are they going to Court for.

If its debt subject to the various CCA's then you need to get a copy of the CCA to make sure that it IS your debt -- they MUST produce the a valid document if you want to defend the claim.

If the amount on the Court claim looks supiciously different to what you think it should be then get an SAR from the original creditor.

The fact that they aren't using Northampton to pursue a CCJ leads me to a suspicion this might be for something like non payment of a parking fine etc.

A Council tax problem won't go to County Court either -- a Liability order granted in a Magistrates Court is the first point of call for these types of problems.

Without knowing what the CCJ is FOR it's hard to suggest a line of defence. In any case whatever the debt is ALWAYS make the person or organisation hassling you prove that it's actually YOUR debt -- AND THAT THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO COLLECT IT.

Anybody can say XXXX have told me to collect a debt of YYYY -- this has as much validity as my Grandmothers cat asking for the same thing.

Cheers

jimbo