Samsung Recovery Tool

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4557 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I will put it on the startup repair option and leave it. I don't hink it will help though. The CPU light isn't even flickering which I think means that it is not doing anything. It does say ' windows is loading files' when I do that, but it only looks hopefull for a minute and then it goes dead. Even in safe mode, it loads certain files and then just restarts. I have emailed the company I got it from, but I don't think they will get back to me for a couple of days.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I left it on all night, and nothing. It loads files and then gives me a windows background screen and nothing else.

It does sound likle something in the hardware is screwy, as I mentioned above, RAM (I suspect this) or maybe dodgy CPU fan ?

It sounds like you are doing everythjing correct and it should get past the keyboard language setting, I just quickly press enter and use the default English (US) or you can actually use the correct (UK) one it doesnt matter.

But to do any sort of fixing you need to get to the command prompt but it appears it wont let you.

Other options are trying a Windows PE disc or another sort of DOS setup disc.

Is the hard drive easily removable ?. Some just slide out on the side, others need lots of taking apart, if you can access it, its easy to connedt it to another PC for testing (with a 3.5" to 2.5" hard drive adapter if its an older style IDE drive).

Is there a Windows 7 OEM sticker or do you have the licence number, you could then get hold of a copy of Windows 7 and try re-installing (although I suspect it will stop at the same place as the recovery disc).

I';m not sure what options Samsung Recovery should give you, it may be just some repair options or as mentioned above, there may be a copy (or sometimes an 'image') of Windows 7 to re-install, but if that wont start either that doesnt help !

Andy

Thanks Andy. The place I bought it from are sending me some recovery discs (which I have already downloaded) and if they don't work I need to speak to Samsung. I tried downloading the PE builder but it is too complicated. You can't burn it.

Yeah/..Win PE can be a bit of a nitemare, ideally you need a pre-built one on a disc you can just pop in, im sure Ive got one but there are millions of discs kicking about here !

It does sound to me like a (minor) hardware fault which means you can mess about with 100's of software options but it will never start, I prefer desktop PC's as they are a doodle to take apart and diagnose faults, swap RAM, drives, PCI cards, etc but with laptops its very difficult and certainly not for the novice, if you get no luck with Samsung it may be worth trying a local small PC repair shop, dont go to people like Tech Guys/PC World.

Andy

Definatly sounds like a physical problem then. Can I ask, did you upgrade the memory in it sod'em? I seem to remember you were considering doing just that. If so, try removing the memory stick you added, and if that doesn't work swap the memory sticks over.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Thanks Andy. The place I bought it from are sending me some recovery discs (which I have already downloaded) and if they don't work I need to speak to Samsung. I tried downloading the PE builder but it is too complicated. You can't burn it.

Ive found a basic MS-DOS boot CD that Ive turned into an ISO I can email you if you want (its about 6mb), it's just a basic DOS command prompt (but with added NTFS support youll prob need), if that doesnt work then it deff would be a hardware problem, if it runs, it will let you browse the hard drive and run some basic commands such as chkdsk, etc.

Andy

What actually happened was:-

I love Avast so installed Avast Antivirus (which is not the free version, rather the most expensive) over a week ago. My lisence doesn't run out for 2 years. Everything was fine for over a week, and then Avast recommended I restart and do a Boot Scan (which I clicked OK). It was then when the problem started. The laptop shut down as normal, but could not restart fully. I am not the most technically minded, but I know a bit. I actually fix a lot of friends/families computers from just what I havr learnt on here. The email I sent to the suppliers resulted in a reply which said 'we will send you a couple of discs to see if that works'. The reason they are doing that (after just an email), is because they realise that I am not stoopid. They haven't even put up a fight. However, I hope they supply me with more than just a Win 7 reccovery disc.

What actually happened was:-

I love Avast so installed Avast Antivirus (which is not the free version, rather the most expensive) over a week ago. My lisence doesn't run out for 2 years. Everything was fine for over a week, and then Avast recommended I restart and do a Boot Scan (which I clicked OK). It was then when the problem started. The laptop shut down as normal, but could not restart fully. I am not the most technically minded, but I know a bit. I actually fix a lot of friends/families computers from just what I havr learnt on here. The email I sent to the suppliers resulted in a reply which said 'we will send you a couple of discs to see if that works'. The reason they are doing that (after just an email), is because they realise that I am not stoopid. They haven't even put up a fight. However, I hope they supply me with more than just a Win 7 reccovery disc.

Cant see how a virus scan would affect anything, even if it did delete some important Windows files, it should still start from a CD.

I doubt that Samsung will send anything other than their own Recover Disc or a Win 7 one, lots of the good recovery discs are lil 3rd party ones made by individuals.

Personally Ive often found the Windows 7 disc to be my saviour, the auto-fix bit is often a bit crap but I have used the command prompt lots, especially using the fixmbr and fixboot commands, this is often needed when you do something like make a dual boot sytem containing Win7 and XP which often screws up the boot sector.

Andy

Obviously it's NOT a hardware problem. That much is evident from your MUCH MUCH MUCH earlier comment.

It's a simple problem with a simple solution.

A couple of things to bear in mind.

You have obviously allowed your boot sector and/or partition descriptors to be mucked about with. Also, there are files which describe the hardware at the physical level which the system relies on to load and configure the correct drivers (at the abstract level) (including the hard drive itself). In addition to that, there are hundreds of system files which are inter-dependent on each other and any one ore more of these could also have been effected.

Either way, the damage is done and you are looking to reinstall the system from new.

The only way you can do this is to repartition the drive and reinstall Windows 7 from scratch however, you must first obtain all the drivers (from Samsung) that are specific to your laptop and the OS you're installing. These will include things like: the chipset drivers, monitor driver, touchpad driver, keyboard driver etc...

If you really want to do the job properly then you have two options (1) obtain the proper installation DVD from Samsung or (2) create your own slipstream install DVD.

Option (1) is easy. Contact Samsung Customer Services. Explain what you want giving full details of your laptop (make and model number, serial number, BIOS version etc..). They may send you a system restore DVD. (Safest and quickest option).

Option (2) is where you will need to put a lot of effort into building your own install DVD. Ideally, this will be a slipstream DVD. That means, you will have to download ALL the (Samsung) drivers and have a copy of Windows 7 (or an ISO image - also downloadadble). You will also need subsequent service packs (downloadable from Microsoft).

Then, you need to create a slipstream ISO file. What this does, is create a customised installation image (for making your installation DVD). This customised installation DVD will contain YOUR drivers - specific to your hardware, which will install automatically. Another advantage of the slipstream ISO file is that you can choose to omit or add components - even third party components (programs) which will all install as part of the installation process. Also, creating a slipstream installation DVD allows you to PRE-CUSTOMISE your installation. This means, you can boot straight to the DVD and your entire O/S can be rebuilt and configured without you having to interact with the system.

(I cannot provide links as part of the rules of this forum)

You will need the following:

Windows Automated Installation Kit

CDBurnerXPPro

UltraISO

Look up DISM command on Microsofts technical pages

See this thread: www[dot]techpowerup[dot]com[slash]forums[slash]showthread[dot]php?t=120729 and scroll down to post: Dec 21, 2010, 03:22 PM

See also: frankieloscavio.blogspot[dot]com/2009/10/how-i-slipstreamed-windows-7-rtm.html

PS: replace the '[dot]' with a '.'

Essential download for creating slipstreams...

www[dot]windows7download[dot]com/win7-nlite/download-jypqkssn.html

PS: replace the '[dot]' with a '.'

Which MUCH MUCH earlier comment would that be ?. Even with a completely screwed up boot sector (or in fact a blank hard drive) the Windows 7 Recovery disc (and the Samsung Recovery partition) should run but Sod'em says this isnt the case, thats why I suspect some sort of hardware problem.

Whilst slipstreamed CD's can be very handy for getting all the drivers into one place it isnt really neccassary (and isnt really for a novice), they were more useful when installing XP, especially when they have missing hard drive drivers (mainly SCSI/SATA/SAS) and therefore you couldnt even get started with the install but isnt as important with Windows 7, in my experience it is rare for Windows 7 install to be wanted more drivers as it normally either has the majority already or will find them once online (this is of course dependant on it finding a network card driver !).

Also it is unclear whether he has the Windows 7 licence key, without that installing a new copy will leave him with an unusable laptop in 30 days.

Andy

Good point. Win 7 was preinstalled, so no license key. The supplier said they are sending me a COUPLE of discs. I am presuming that one will be a Win 7 recovery (which I downloaded and tried), but I am not sure what the other one(s) may be. You never know, they may work. I doubt they will as I can't even get the Samsungs own recovery solution to work. I still have the original box and will probably have to send it back to Samsung. I will probably have to fork out for postage, but so be it. I remember last year, my brother had to send his laptop to Acer for repair. They couldn't fix it and replaced it with a model that was nearly 3 times the price (I think that was a mistake on their half), but the same may happen to me.:oops:

Definatly sounds like a physical problem then. Can I ask, did you upgrade the memory in it sod'em? I seem to remember you were considering doing just that. If so, try removing the memory stick you added, and if that doesn't work swap the memory sticks over.

If I were a gambling man I'd put money on it being a memory issue. SOD'EM are you confident that you can go into bios on turn "Quick boot" off? If you can it will run a memory check and may find if that is a problem.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

I haven't upgraded the memory and I can get into the BIOS (I think) by pressing F12 on startup. When I go to the Boot option, well, there are no options really. Can you be a bit more specific please Loccy?

Thanks M8:-)

The BIOS may or may not have options such as quick boot or turn wlecome screen on/off or something along those lines. Some BIOS's run a quick test of the RAM but not all, incidently I have a RAM check boot disk here, it boots into it and slowly checks through all the memory, you may find something like that useful.

Some manufacturers turn off nearly all the features in the BIOS to stop fiddling with it and then you only have the most basic options, it also stops people from frying the CPU's by 'overclocking' them.

Andy

Recieved 4 discs in the post and followed instructions. Inserted the first and booted from CD. Waited for the boot menu and selected United Kingdom (keyboard input method) and clicked next as requested. Took out that disc and inserted the second one. Nothing happened at all. You can't even hear the disc player moving. The second disc was supposed to give me the option to restore my computer using a system image (which I have on another disc). Really gutted now as the company I bought it from say I now have to take it up with Samsung as it's under warranty. Hope I don't have to start forking out for postage and stuff. I'm skint.:sad:

Do you know what discs where sent ?

So you have an 'image' on another disc ?. Did you make this or was this made for you ?

Personally Id yank out the hard drive and connect it to another PC and restore this image onto the hard drive, if the hard drive is knackered Id buy another one, however this isnt for novices.

Unfortunately problems with laptops do seem quite common so it may be your best bet to send it off.

Andy

sounds like a simple sector error

download the universal bootdisc image from

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

then just run either the HHD util on the disc for your drive

or chkdsk from it

chkdsk c: /f /r

should do it.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The process for installing your O/S is simple providing you follow through step-by-step and logically.

Firstly, you must verify the hardare is good.

Second, you must verify your BIOS settings.

Third, you must install your O/S.

Fourth, install the rest of your S/W.

The CDs sent to you are still very much required. Even if you took the laptop to your dealer, they would need to obtain the same CDs.

Don't forget, your CDs contain all the drivers required by your laptop.

I suggest you check your hard disk drive. Download (free) any DOS disk-chacking utility and re-partition your drive. Then format it (NTFS) - not a quick format, a full format.

If all goes well then it's Easy Street from thereon.

The UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) option is good advice. Download and burn a copy of the latest UBCD, chuck it in your drive and reboot the laptop (should boot from CD. If not, check your BIOS settings. Might be a good idea to set these to default values while you're there).

Thanks guys. I will try the UBCD first. Just for the record, the discs I got were:

Win 7 system repair disc.

System image disc 1

System image disc 2

System image disc 3

Instructions:-

1. Plug your laptop into the mains power source.

2. Turn on your PC and press 'ESC' when the blue Samsung screen appears. A Boot Menu should appear.

3. When the Boot Menu is on screen, insert your DVD labelled 'Samsung R519 Windows 7 32-Bit System Repair Disc' into your laptop and press 'Enter'.

4. When the Boot Menu disappears, press any key when the message comes up ' Press any key to boot from CD'.

5. The System Recovery options should boot. Select 'United Kingdom' on the drop down list that apears and press 'Next'.

6. Remove your System Repair Disc and insert the DVD labelled 'Samsung R519 PC Image Disc THREE.

7.Click on 'Restore your computer using a system image you created earlier' and press 'Next'.

8. Click on 'Use the latest available system image (recommended) and press 'Next'

9. On the next page check the box that says 'Format and repartition discs' and press 'Next'.

10. When the following message appears 'Your computer will be restored from the following image' click the 'Finish' button.

11. When the popup appears ' All data on the drives to be reastored will be replaced with the data in the System Image' . Are you sure you want to continue? Click 'Yes'.

12 When the message appears saying 'please insert the following disc', insert Samsung R915 PC image disc 1 and press 'OK'.

13. The restore procedure will start. The 'Please insert the following disc...' message will appear again approximately half way through, at this point remove Disc 1 and reinsert disc 2. Press 'OK' to continue. This message will appear again for disc 3. Remove disc2 when it asks, insert disc 3 and press 'OK' to continue.

14. Once completed your computer will automatically restart. Eject the 'Samsung R519 disc 3 and store it with thw other discs in a safe place.

I can complete tasks until number 6. When I click 'Next' on number 5 and insert the next disc, nothing happens at all. Just a Windows Wallpaper. I cannot hear the disc drive starting at all. Pitty it can't be forced.

Just downloaded the P2P version of UBCD (as recommended on the link) and scanned it. My virus database could not scan three of the files as one is a decompression bomb and the other two are password protected. I don't want to open any of them just in case. Advice please.

Just downloaded and burnt one from one of the mirror sites. Tried to boot from CD and got this message.

ISOLINUX: Disc error blah, blah, blah. Press any key to retry.

The process for installing your O/S is simple providing you follow through step-by-step and logically.

Firstly, you must verify the hardare is good.

Second, you must verify your BIOS settings.

Third, you must install your O/S.

Fourth, install the rest of your S/W.

The CDs sent to you are still very much required. Even if you took the laptop to your dealer, they would need to obtain the same CDs.

Don't forget, your CDs contain all the drivers required by your laptop.

I suggest you check your hard disk drive. Download (free) any DOS disk-chacking utility and re-partition your drive. Then format it (NTFS) - not a quick format, a full format.

If all goes well then it's Easy Street from thereon.

It isnt very wise to tell people to start formatting their hard drives without checking exactly what is going on !. It has already been discussed that Sod 'em doesnt have the original Windows CD or Key, therefore formatting the drive and re-installing Windows will leave him with an un-activated copy of Windows that will stop working in 30 days once the grace period is up.

Andy

Just downloaded and burnt one from one of the mirror sites. Tried to boot from CD and got this message.

ISOLINUX: Disc error blah, blah, blah. Press any key to retry.

Well..it may be the download was corrupt or that you made a mistake with the burning, try another download and burn again (Use ImgaBurn).

However I suspect even if it boots you may run into another problem, this being that many Boot Discs do not have NTFS support. It is highly likely your HD is formatted with NTFS and therefore a simply DOS based boot disc will not be able to see or read your main hard drive. The boot disc I mentioned earlier has a seperate NTFS for Dos program that you can run to allow access to the NTFS partition.

However it may be that the Ultimate Boot Disc already has this feature, ill try and download it myself later. You are wise to be catious, sometimes stuff from P2P sites is full of nasties.

It would appear that Samsung have supplied you with a Win7 boot/repair disc and an 'image' (a complete snapshot of the hard drive), this should be a easy process but it would appear you are still having problems, I still suspect a RAM problem, or perhaps a CD one (you could try copying the image onto a external HD if you have one).

Persoanlly the image method is what I would use (I have my server create daily backups and I would simply boot into a CD and choose the image I want and restore it), I dont use the built in Windows image maker, instead I use Windows Home Server and Acronis.

Andy

Got this message whilst doing a HDD scan:-

Flags Auxiliary

Uncorrectable CRC or ECC

and Address mark not found.

Scan is on 50% and stopped now.

thats a physical error on the harddisk

you need a util that will allow the error to be corrected not just report it

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

what you have highlighted is common with many pc machines any form of recovery disks only a silly recovery partition quoting costs.here are the downloads for windows 7,i dont know if your key is oem though.

who's ken

use digital river links.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/11/10/windows-7-iso-x86-and-x64-official-direct-download-links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/

sometimes its possible to recover an installation with a manufactures recovery disk

if there's disk errors a utility tool can be downloaded from the manufactures site to scan for an attempt to fix the error.

Edited by jsa12

thats a physical error on the harddisk

you need a util that will allow the error to be corrected not just report it

dx

It would appear so, I recommend Seatools For DOS (http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools), it can fix physical problems and bad sectors, however some of the advanced features only work if it is a Seagate drive.

have you investigated removing the hard drive, on some models it just slides out the side, you could then easily connect it to another PC using a USB to Sata connector (or by connecting it to inside a PC if you are confident in doing that).

I'm assuming as a new PC it is a SATA type and not an IDE (PATA) type.

Andy