• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Samsung Recovery Tool

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4550 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

if its a recent drive and its developing bad sectors would be to seek a replacement under guarantee,these are not recoverable normally and could be an indication of possible failure in the future.hence back up frequently to avoid data loss.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I'd try the Seagate recovery tool (a good tool, used it many a time many moons ago) as what appear physical problems are commonly the computer turning off during the write cycle.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Removing the hard drive is 2 screws to remove the cover (which I have done), and 3 screws to remove th HD. The reason I haven't removed it is because the laptop is still in warranty, and I don't want to mess with that. I do have a problem though beacuse the laptop came with a free ram upgrade from 1GB (which is what the R915 normally comes with, and still actually says on the original box which I still have), to 2GB. This in itself may have voided the warranty because the company I bought it off have obviously unscerewed the cover.. I have managed to get a disc to work, and I haven't tried every option yet. Just the main ones like Fix HDD errors and the likes. As you have seen, they do not work. I don't think any virus on earth can cause this s**t, but, you never know.:|

I would like to try other options on the disc I downloaded, but I aint got a Scooby what half (or much less) what they mean.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

can you just run chkdsk c: /f /r please

it wont harm anything and may well cure the issues

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

its linux you cant

if its fitted with a samsung drive run es-tools from the screen menu of the ubcd

or run the hdd diagnostics tool for the make of the drive fitted

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Sorry dx. The link I recieved earlier for the ubcd seems to be Linux (I presume that because of the disc error it said, that I put in an earlier post). There has only been one disc that actually boots, but I don't understand it. I have pm'd the link, because I know that not all links are allowed on here.

Edited by SOD'EM

sounds like a simple sector error

download the universal bootdisc image from

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

then just run either the HHD util on the disc for your drive

or chkdsk from it

chkdsk c: /f /r

should do it.

dx

Burn the image file you download with imgburn and then boot from that and follow DX's advice

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

head bang

head bang

head bang

dx

and they

That may be where I am going wrong???

I have already downloaded that and used Imageburn to burn it.

The dodgy laptop automatically boots from the disc and takes me to the same thing I already have (on discs).

I get to the part where you choose a keyboard language, press next, and then (when you expect different options) bugger all. Nada, Nil, Nothing.

Now maybe I have to delete certain parts of the iso file before I burn it (so I just have a certain part of the recovery that's needed on the disc), but I know it's doing all your heads in now. But not as much as mine :sad:.

Turn on your PC and press 'ESC' when the blue Samsung screen appears. A Boot Menu should appear.

When the Boot Menu is on screen, insert your UltimateBoot CD into your laptop and press 'Enter'.

When the Boot Menu disappears, press any key when the message comes up ' Press any key to boot from CD'.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Already done that a b'dillion times Loccy. It says 'Windows is loading files' (great). After a short while it comes up with a lovely wallpaper with nice wiggly lines through it. Then it says 'BOOT MENU

Also, sorry about the PM's. Havin a bad one at the mo.:sad:

lol no problems, we all have rough nights. (the ones where we're on CAG at 3 am generally :p)

I'm torn between thinking it's a memory problem or a HDD failure. Memory problems (especially if it is a high memory address that doesn't get accessed imediatly) can cause very strange faults.

Ive found a basic MS-DOS boot CD that Ive turned into an ISO I can email you if you want (its about 6mb), it's just a basic DOS command prompt (but with added NTFS support youll prob need), if that doesnt work then it deff would be a hardware problem, if it runs, it will let you browse the hard drive and run some basic commands such as chkdsk, etc.

Andy

If you have not managed to scan the hard drive, I'd take andydd up on that offer, get to command prompt and do a disk scan from there.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

lol no problems, we all have rough nights. (the ones where we're on CAG at 3 am generally :p)

I'm torn between thinking it's a memory problem or a HDD failure. Memory problems (especially if it is a high memory address that doesn't get accessed imediatly) can cause very strange faults.

If you have not managed to scan the hard drive, I'd take andydd up on that offer, get to command prompt and do a disk scan from there.

Which is pretty much where we came in quite a few posts ago. Like I said, I have a simple dos boot disc that ive just checked and I know it works and has NTFS support, drop me ya mail and Ill send the iso image.

If that does nothing than I think we can assume that either the HD or RAM is screwy and they either need replacing (even just to check they are ok) or if PC is under warranty it is prob best to send it back, where was it from ?.

Andy

OK guys. Finally getting somewhere. Managed to get the Samsung Recovery to work through a program that dx recommended. Could not do a basic restore (where it tries to keep some files), so had to do a full restore. It restored back to Feb 2010 (I presume that's when it came from the factory). The only problem I have now is signing in. This was a Home Access laptop that has 2 accounts. One is the Learner (does not need password), the other is Parent (administrator). The password hint for the admin account is 'w'. Is there any way I can find the password for that account?

I'm not sure how helpful I can be but, aside from you downloading a password recovery tool (search google), if the laptop is a Home Access one, did you not get any paperwork with it giving you the parent password?

Also, if you can remember which company provided it through the scheme you could look up their Tech Support through google and call them - they should have kept records.

Can you get a command (Start/Run/cmd) prompt whilst in the Learner account?

--edit--

Can you start an elevated instance of command in the Learner account?

ie: Click Start

Type cmd into the Search box

Press Ctrl+Shift+Enter

Click "Run as Administrator"

-- 2nd edit --

If the company who supplied the laptop was XMA Ltd, the default Parent password is likely to be:

xmahaadmin

Give it a try (obviously only if it's from XMA)

Edited by pastracasse

check that safemode administrator login is not a blank password

there are easy win 7 password tools

or phone the owner and ask?

dx

and they

as mentioned earlier a lot of these problems can occur when the startup/shutdown process is in operation connecting/removing devices as such,this can lead to disk errors and other software issues,run the utility disk scan software and attempt to repair any errors however once done a complete fresh install of windows is really needed.

use an external usb floppy drive dos boot disk with fdisk/delete non dos partiton and then format c: its the only way to fully recover windows 100 percent you may need to download drivers from the manufactures website.

as mentioned earlier a lot of these problems can occur when the startup/shutdown process is in operation connecting/removing devices as such,this can lead to disk errors and other software issues,run the utility disk scan software and attempt to repair any errors however once done a complete fresh install of windows is really needed.

use an external usb floppy drive dos boot disk with fdisk/delete non dos partiton and then format c: its the only way to fully recover windows 100 percent you may need to download drivers from the manufactures website.

....and again someone asking poor Sod'em to start formating his hard drive without asking first, is there any important data on there ? and do you have the neccassary licences to re-install the OS and other important software, Office, etc ?

Anyway, glad that the problem is (nearly) solved, as suggested perhaps the restore date was before any passwords were set up (or if they were you dont know them !).

Im surprised though that System restore wasnt turned on and it made other (newer) back up points (remember to turn it on when (if!) you get it back up and running).

The options would appear to be:-

1. Get the Password from samsung/supplier.

2. Try googling for the answer, many default passwords can be found online (I often have to look up default ones for routers, etc)

3. Try a password cracking program, i have used XP ones in the past, but now almost deal with PC's on a domain and any lost passwords can be changed on the server.

4. You should be able to boot into safe Mode (but that isnt really a solution), I cant recall whether once logged in as safe mode whether you can craete a new user (with admin priviledges) may be worth trying though.

Andy

Got it sorted now (thanks to all of you). Got Original password from supplier. Have lost a lot of stuff (which will teach me from now on to have a HDD backup). Have to go through all Windows updates, and reinstall all previous programs. I really do appreciate all your help:smile:.

Unfortunately had no option but to restore back to factory settings.

Edited by SOD'EM

....and again someone asking poor Sod'em to start formating his hard drive without asking first, is there any important data on there ? and do you have the neccassary licences to re-install the OS and other important software, Office, etc ?

Anyway, glad that the problem is (nearly) solved, as suggested perhaps the restore date was before any passwords were set up (or if they were you dont know them !).

Im surprised though that System restore wasnt turned on and it made other (newer) back up points (remember to turn it on when (if!) you get it back up and running).

The options would appear to be:-

1. Get the Password from samsung/supplier.

2. Try googling for the answer, many default passwords can be found online (I often have to look up default ones for routers, etc)

3. Try a password cracking program, i have used XP ones in the past, but now almost deal with PC's on a domain and any lost passwords can be changed on the server.

4. You should be able to boot into safe Mode (but that isnt really a solution), I cant recall whether once logged in as safe mode whether you can craete a new user (with admin priviledges) may be worth trying though.

Andy

hence its very important to back data up,starting with acronis when the pc has just arrived starting with the manufactures recover partition,many dont do this and later run into problems'.

hence its very important to back data up,starting with acronis when the pc has just arrived starting with the manufactures recover partition,many dont do this and later run into problems'.

I agree, I have Windows Home Server doing daily backups of all my PC's and then Acronis doing weekly ones in case WHS screws up.

Its a pity that backups arnt 'pushed' more by microsoft, especially as Vista and 7 have got a a half decent backup program included.

People forget that hard drives do screw up and that they do have a limited life span, my local paper recently had 2 stories on laptops being stolen that contained cherished photos and college course work on and the owners had no back up.

Online backups are also useful, I use my freebie buiult in Virgin Media one which is a bit naff but does the job and I recently had to use it to retrieve some important docs.

Andy

next!

dx

and they

Just noticed (after reinstallation of Win 7) that a program I removed some time ago has resurfaced and is affecting browsing. The program is Netintelligence which monitors all activity, but also blocks sites like Facebook and Googlemail. I can't remeber my username or password (as last login was a year ago) to get the uninstall password. Is there a quick way to get rid of the program (and all it's components)? I have tried to remove with CCleaner, but it needs an uninstall password.

HHmm.A program that needs a password to remove sounds like mal or bloat ware to me.

A quick thought is just to remove the folder and or files from Program Files and then get RevoUninstaller (made by same people as CCleaner), and run it, its first step is to uninstall the normal way, (ignore this) it will then scan through all files and the registry and remove as much leftover crap to do with NI as possible, choose the select all and delete options, that should get rid of most if not all of it.

Andy