Mis-Sold Motorhome, Private buy not dealer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4935 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

I have just bought a motorhome. Year 2002 for £15,000.

To clarify, the vendor does work at a garage, so does have mechanical knowledge.

He advertised this motorhome as being in perfect condition.

We went to view it, he started it up, put the radio on, drove it for a bit, then let me drive.

He agreed to take my old campervan in PX as he wanted a smaller older campervan to work on. He said he was selling this one as he needed to release capital to do up his kitchen.

I had a bankers draft drawn.

A week later he drove the camper to my house. He said that he had noticed that the speedo cable wasn't working, so had bought a new one, fitted it that morning but it still wasn't working. He said that I probably only needed the speedo gear cog thing. He spoke to my garage to explain what the problem was. Then he agreed to pay the bill to fix it.

The camper is at the garage as we speak. I have been told he didn't change the speedo cable and it isn't the external speedo gear, it is internal, in the gearbox, so will cost about £500 to repair.

I have emailed the vendor to ask if he wants the bill sending to him or if he is going to reimburse me.

I am awaiting an answer but in the meantime I thought I would post on here.

Where do I stand legally if he refuses to pay. I have evidence that he knew of the problem ( him speaking to my mechanic).

Also, he said he wasn't a car dealer, yet I am led to believe he has already sold on my old motorhome.

I might come back to you with good news. I might find that he agrees to pay the bill but in case he doesn't ....

Any advice would be appreciated.