Landlord Inspection 7 weeks after I left flat now they are saying it's not clean

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4916 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Just after a bit of advice, I left my property(flat in Belfast) almost 7 weeks ago and was told by my estate agents that the property was in a clean and tidy state and that my deposit would be returned in a matter of days. Since then I've been fighting a running battle to get it back as it turns out that the owner of the flat took the deposiit from the estate agents in the middle of the lease and it took almost four weeks for the estate agent to get in contact with the owner. After another few weeks of phone calls the owner of teh flat decided that he wanted to view it to make sure it was okay. Now the estate agents have come back to me to say that the flat was not left clean and tidy(which I totally dispute) as the kitchen floor needs cleaned, the fridge had blue mold in it and the front of the kitchen cupboards were dusty. I 100% cleaned and mopped the kitchen floor, to be honest I'm not really sure if I cleaned th front of the cupboards although I definately cleaned the fridge but since the electric was on a meter and there would have been no electric in the flat now from probably the day after I left so I'm wondering would the fact that the flat is quite damp due to a laudrette below it and also that there was no electric going to the fridge and freezer have contributed to this. Also, is 7 weeks not a bit late to be making an inspection. Any and all advice will be much appreciated.

Hi sorry I can't give you an answer but I know some questions an expert may ask you to help.

When did you move in?

Was it an Assured Shorthold Tenancy?

Was the deposit protected? (it does not sound like it)

In my opinion 7 weeks is a bit to long. Of corse there would be mould in the fridge!

If your deposit should have been protected and it was not you can get this landlord by the balls and claim back 3 times your deposit.

If you moved in on or after 6th April 2007 (or re-newed your contract since that date) then your deposit should have been protected by law and the landlord or agent should have told you where it was protected.

If this is the case then a mouldy fridge will be the least of your ex-landlords worries!

But please wait for an expert to comment on this before doing anything.

I moved in last september and moved out a year later, I've checked around and cannot find anything which states that the deposit protection scheme applies to Northern Ireland, can anyone confirm whther this is the case or not. Also, I'm not sure if it was an assured shorthold tenancy