Can you send a Subject Access Request to the Tax Man?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4951 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I can't find where this would be appropriate anywhere else in the forums. So The BG it is.

I have a friend who is going through a very complicated case with the Tax Man. He had his business closed and then the Tax Office found paperwork that they said that they had never recieved from him. I know that sounds confusing but they are still going to court to try and take his house from him (that is the only assett he has left). He himself is counter suing them for making him bankrupt in the first place and taking a building off him that cost £1.2 million to build.

It is a lot more complicated than I have just said but I know my friend is in the right. He wants to send an SAR to the Tax Office and I said I would help him if I could, I need to know if you would send the SAR to our local Tax Office or would it go to a central one. Also, can you still send it recorded deliver and do they have to abide by the same rules that the banks do? He lives in the Liverpool area and I would be grateful if someone could advise me further with the above information, and direct me to the best SAR letter on here.

PS. I should have done this last week with the impending court case, so time is of the essence.

Thanks in advance.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Thanks rebel11, I just need a link to a good SAR now. I have tried clicking where it says SAR, but it tales me somewhere else.

Dear Sir/Madam

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxx (or multiple numbers if more than one account)

Please supply me with copies of all the data which you hold on me in relation to any matter and in any form and for any period of time.

Please note that I require disclosure of any personal data which you hold on me for the entire period of my dealings with you.

The Subject Access is not limited to my transaction history and it is not limited merely to 6 years of historical information.

Additionally, where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff, or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my banking business with you.

If you are unable to supply this data because there has been no such manual intervention, then please be so kind as to confirm this in your response.

I enclose the statutory maximum fee of £10. You have 40 days in which to comply. Furthermore, if I discover that you have levied disproportionate penalties or charges which are invalid under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations against me, then I shall be reclaiming them together with any interest charges which you have levied on them.

As it is your wrongdoing and mishandling of my account which has created the necessity for this Subject Access Request, I shall also be reclaiming the enclosed £10 DPA subject access request fee.

If there is specific information which you require in order to satisfy yourself as to my identity, please let me know by return. However, please note that the above address is the one which you normally use to communicate my private business to me and which you have hitherto found to be acceptable.

I would be happy to collect the Data from my local branch.

Yours faithfully,]

Thanks for that (both ST members). That is a spot on SAR, I will just edit it for HMRC purposes. There is more than enough there for me.

Thanks again.:wink:

I got a bit more info about the case.

He got a huge tax bill from HMRC and he disputed it. They said that they never received a certain amount of paperwork from him which he insisted that he had supplied. This dispute went on for some time and the HMRC would not back down, so started court proceedings. To cut a long story short, this slowly made his business deteriorate and he started having problems keeping up with his bank loan payments (£600,000 loan). In turn, they started to go after him and eventually, they sent in the recievers and he lost everything. He also had other assets (a couple of shop buildings and a few flats), which they also took from him, They are now going for the last thing which is his family home.

Recently, the HMRC have found the missing paperwork and realised that he didn't owe them a penny. They have apologised and even given him a tax rebate (only a few thousand). He has a letter from them to that affect but still the banks are continuing to claim his house (and it's not looking good for him at the moment). He is now trying to get compensation fron HMRC as it was them that put him in the financial crisis in the first place. Unfortunately (as it's not a criminal matter) he cannot get any sort of financial aid to persue compensation. Also, the only help he has in court is a Mackenzie friend who is a volunteer for a local help group, but he hasn't much legal background. Everything is in the banks favour at the moment and it looks like he will soon be homeless (which will in turn end his marriage). I feel so sorry for him because he is a great lad. He is only a Layman himself so really should have paid more attention so long back as to what was happening. The HMRC has a lot to answer for, but it looks like they cannot be touched.:mad2:

• 4 weeks later...
Dear Sir/Madam

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxx (or multiple numbers if more than one account)

Please supply me with copies of all the data which you hold on me in relation to any matter and in any form and for any period of time.

Please note that I require disclosure of any personal data which you hold on me for the entire period of my dealings with you.

The Subject Access is not limited to my transaction history and it is not limited merely to 6 years of historical information.

Additionally, where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff, or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my banking business with you.

If you are unable to supply this data because there has been no such manual intervention, then please be so kind as to confirm this in your response.

I enclose the statutory maximum fee of £10. You have 40 days in which to comply. Furthermore, if I discover that you have levied disproportionate penalties or charges which are invalid under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations against me, then I shall be reclaiming them together with any interest charges which you have levied on them.

As it is your wrongdoing and mishandling of my account which has created the necessity for this Subject Access Request, I shall also be reclaiming the enclosed £10 DPA subject access request fee.

If there is specific information which you require in order to satisfy yourself as to my identity, please let me know by return. However, please note that the above address is the one which you normally use to communicate my private business to me and which you have hitherto found to be acceptable.

I would be happy to collect the Data from my local branch.

Yours faithfully,]

I am right in believing that they can also charge for photocopying up to a max of £50.00?