Representing yourself in ET? Read this.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5009 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey folks! Just thought I may start this new thread with some advice for all those who represent themselves in Employment Tribunals.

Thank godness for all the books and materials available online or elsewhere but I am gonna give a few pieces of advice from my own experience, as the Claimant.

Feel free to add anything you feel relevant from your own observations.

So, apart from obvious things like sticking to the courts' orders or deadlines...

Representing yourself in ET for the first time is in a way a double job to do as you not only have to fight (usually lie dictated) arguments of the respondents, but also fight your own weaknesses. It is not always that easy.

First of all, don't assume that the chairmans will do everything for you. They are experienced lawyers, yes, but they take info in from both sides of the conflict.

So - no, they won't necessarily take your side if you don't say anything...

Don't assume that the judges will always deduce all sorts of things by themselves.

Sometimes you will have to tell them all by yourself.

For example, if your former boss threw only at you "I will do you later" though he saw you smoking with a few other colleagues in a non-designated area, make sure you tell the judge you felt threatened. It is obvious for you to have felt that way of course, but telling the judge what you felt is much more helpfull to your case as your case will look genuine.

After all, you have a story to tell to a complete stranger and they don't know you at all.

Another example: it may sound silly, but you have to imagine yourself in the courtroom as if you were holding in your hands two pieces of paper. One says 2+2=4, another 2+2=5. Your job is still to tell the judge that the one with 2+2=4 is correct so that he believed you.

That's just a metaphorical illustration but it shows how you should continue with your case. Things obvious to you, may not always be visible to the judges.

The fact is also that they listen to a huuge number of claimants or respondents' stories on a daily basis so they don't have much time to concentrate on one particular case every day.

All they need are strong arguments, facts and evidence.

Also, having strong ET1 form (if you're the claimant) helps a lot as the more it is detailed and not giving any space to the other side to start to lie, the better for your case.

If you found another employment but continue with ET claims, don't wait until the last minute with everything.

If you have to write your witness statement in a few months time, it helps to have a pad and a pen around you or a dictafone - to make sure your statement will include all the essential info or facts. Some thoughts sometimes comes to your head when you do your daily chores so it is good to have them noted down straight away.

Refrain from making any comments relating to your case on your profile facebook or elsewhere - spontaneous thoughts, even on a private facebook profile, may cause you unnecessary attention from the respondent's lawyers.

Edited by ms_smith

Hey guys! My case is still proceeding, been quite a stormy period as I also had to search for a job, move to another city, home etc.

Landed myself in a supervisory position (woohoo! :D ).

Reserved judgement arrived, applied for a review as the resp. manipulated as much as they could. I guess it looks silly when a waitress alone sues a giant... ;)

Am not giving up. :)

Edited by ms_smith