lience plates stolen

stuggling
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4986 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

just a rant, in floods of tears me and my partner just found our lience plates stolen of our car. Reported to police but gutted that some worthless ****es decided to do this, im heavily pregnant too so cant take risk of driving car because we will get pulled so heartbroken :(

Hi, all you can do for now is take your reg document to halfords or somewhere like and get them to make a new set up.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

This happened to my friends a couple of years ago - they were away and I stayed at theirs to look after the pets. Went out one morning and saw the back plate missing, at first I thought it had just fallen off and so went to look and see if a neighbour had perhaps kicked it under the car or put it on the windscreen (the car was parked facing away from the house against a wall in a parking space). When I got to the front of the car I realised the other plate was missing.

I called the police who actually took it quite seriously and sent an officer out to fingerprint the car and take photos of the car. They did say it was purely speculatively as they didn't expect to get any usable prints but would try anyway - thankfully I hadn't touched the car (phew!!) so didn't need my prints taking. They also said that the plates were probably stolen by someone who had taken them to use in petrol forecourt fraud and needed some plates from a matching car model and colour.

The police also noted on their ANPR computer that the plates had been stolen in case any reports were put on their system about the car and they gave me a form to use to get replacement plates (as my friends were away and only the registered keeper can get replacement plates) but I decided to wait for their return as the car was parked in a private road (not patrolled by any company) and was securely parked.

As far as I know my friends got about a dozen letters from the police asking them to prove their whereabouts on certain days in relation to that car - thankfully all week day daytime when my friend was parked in a CCTV covered carpark at work!! We assumed this was in relation to petrol fraud or similar matters. The police accepted their explanations and they haven't heard anything now for a while so I assume either the stolen plates are no longer on the road or the people who stole them have moved onto a different car.

Feebee_71

My son had his VRM plates nicked off his vehicle one night.

He reported it to the Police inn the morning, who came to rake a statement and tod him that the VRM had ready cmne up on a drive off for a completely different vehicle description.

police came out just took notes, about what happened got a letter thru post to say crime number

Got told someone should have fingerprinted car but no one did n cant now as new plates on n ive cleaned car.

when took my son to school nxt day found a set of plates to a black astra so i called police and was told to take to nearest station, i said cant as no plates on my car and im heavily pregnant so told me to go when could!

On sunday got a call from a constable who told me he would be dealing with case when told him about plates i found he asked why i hadnt reported it i explained that i had but no one came to get them n no statement was taken he was not happy, i asked if my car plates had been used he said yes on petrol theft (which hadnt shocked me) i asked if it was a black astra he said no but a sliver nissan!!! I own a black 04 vectra so couldnt stop laughin about it.

He comein round area i live to ask if any1 saw anythin n to question neighbours as they have cctv on our car so were hopein we get sumwere with that.

Also ive contacted dvla and they will give us new reg number but how do i explain to insurance company about change as i not reported plates stolen to them as not claimin on insurance as not worth it?

Sorry it all written prop im doin this on my mobile

I would have thought - though don't take it as gospel from me - that your insurance company will look on this the same way as if you had replaced the wing mirror because you'd swiped it on a wall or something or had replaced your windscreen.

Be honest and tell them you did report the matter to the police and have got a crime reference number you can give them. Tell them the police have now advised you to get a replacement and different numberplate as your current one has been used (by a markedly different make and model of car) in an incidence of theft (again point out it has been the police who have informed you of this).

Hopefully they will accept this and not demand to know why you didn't tell them when it happened - I mean, your excess probably cost more than the replacement plates and there is no third party to claim against you for any loss or damage!!

Feebee_71

The of your number plates is not really an insurance company issue as the loss wasn't as a result of "an accident" and you haven't claimed the replacement cost from them either.

Notifying them of a change of number plate is important though, but is no different than many of do when we by a private plate anad need to tell them when we have put it on the car.

Just a word of warning though, many insurances will charge a "document fee" to action this change (mine charge £12.50 whenever I change driver details or the like) and if you have the car on HP, the HP company sometimes hit you with a fee also. Santander for example, charged £30 when the DVLA informed them I had put a private plate on a Vauxhall I had financed through them.