• Tweets

• Thank-you dx, What you have written is certainly helpful to my understanding. The only thing I would say, what I found to be most worrying and led me to start this discussion is, I believe the judge did not merely admonish the defendant in the case in question, but used that point to dismiss the case in the claimants favour. To me, and I don't have your experience or knowledge, that is somewhat troubling. Again, the caveat being that we don't know exactly what went on but I think we can infer the reason for the judgement. Thank-you for your feedback. EDIT: I guess that the case I refer to is only one case and it may never happen again and the strategy not to appeal is still the best strategy even in this event, but I really did find the outcome of that case, not only extremely annoying but also worrying. Let's hope other judges are not quite so narrow minded and don't get fixated on one particular issue as FTMDave alluded to.
    • Indians, traditionally known as avid savers, are now stashing away less money and borrowing more.View the full article
    • the claimant in their WS can refer to whatever previous CC judgements they like, as we do in our WS's, but CC judgements do not set a legal precedence. however, they do often refer to judgements like Bevis, those cases do created a precedence as they were court of appeal rulings. as for if the defendant, prior to the raising of a claim, dobbed themselves in as the driver in writing during any appeal to the PPC, i don't think we've seen one case whereby the claimant referred to such in their WS.. ?? but they certainly typically include said appeal letters in their exhibits. i certainly dont think it's a good idea to 'remind' them of such at the defence stage, even if the defendant did admit such in a written appeal. i would further go as far to say, that could be even more damaging to the whole case than a judge admonishing a defendant for not appealing to the PPC in the 1st place. it sort of blows the defendant out the water before the judge reads anything else. dx  
    • Hi LFI, Your knowledge in this area is greater than I could possibly hope to have and as such I appreciate your feedback. I'm not sure that I agree the reason why a barrister would say that, only to get new customers, I'm sure he must have had professional experience in this area that qualifies him to make that point. 🙂 In your point 1 you mention: 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver. I understand the point you are making but I was referring to when the keeper is also the driver and admits it later and only in this circumstance, but I understand what you are saying. I take on board the issues you raise in point 2. Is it possible that a PPC (claimant) could refer back to the case above as proof that the motorist should have appealed, like they refer back to other cases? Thanks once again for the feedback.
    • Well barristers would say that in the hope that motorists would go to them for advice -obviously paid advice.  The problem with appealing is at least twofold. 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver.  And in a lot of cases the last thing the keeper wants when they are also the driver is that the parking company knows that. It makes it so much easier for them as the majority  of Judges do not accept that the keeper and the driver are the same person for obvious reasons. Often they are not the same person especially when it is a family car where the husband, wife and children are all insured to drive the same car. On top of that  just about every person who has a valid insurance policy is able to drive another person's vehicle. So there are many possibilities and it should be up to the parking company to prove it to some extent.  Most parking company's do not accept appeals under virtually any circumstances. But insist that you carry on and appeal to their so called impartial jury who are often anything but impartial. By turning down that second appeal, many motorists pay up because they don't know enough about PoFA to argue with those decisions which brings us to the second problem. 2] the major parking companies are mostly unscrupulous, lying cheating scrotes. So when you appeal and your reasons look as if they would have merit in Court, they then go about  concocting a Witness Statement to debunk that challenge. We feel that by leaving what we think are the strongest arguments to our Member's Witness Statements, it leaves insufficient time to be thwarted with their lies etc. And when the motorists defence is good enough to win, it should win regardless of when it is first produced.   
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

MBNA credit card debt

gem-100
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4301 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please can someone advise on weather or not I have to give details of my income and outgoings over the phone?, I have explained to MBNA that for the first time in over 22 years I am out of work due to my company closing the London office, I am now on job seekers and have written and told MBNA that all I can afford at this time is 5.00 per month, I have sent the first payment by postal order, and have also asked for the cca, today I received a phone call from them, they did not ask any security questions, they explained that unless I told them over the phone what my outgfoings were then they would not freeze the interest, I explained that I would put the details in writing to them only (do I have to supply this info to them) they then said that unless I also contacted them by phone and discussed it with them, then they would not freeze the interest or consider any reduced payment, I explained that I have requested the cca and not yet received, they said their T & C's were sent out to me on the first of September (I have received nothing yet) I explained that it was not the T & C's I requested and until I recieved what I requested I was not discussing it further, (I recorded the call with Truecall) I really cannot see what can be gained by discussing it over the phone, it wont change that fact that I only have 64.00 a week income, down from 550.00(nett) a week before I lost my job of 22 years, so there is a vast shortfall in my income, I have made cut backs where ever I can especially with food as this is one compromise I can make without hurting anyone, I find that 4 tins of beans and and a loaf of bread has to last me the week now, if I have to pay anything more to them, then what goes the beans or the bread?, this is truly the stage I am at, it is very hard to think there is no help out there for someone that has paid their taxes and worked all their life since leaving school and asked for nothing from anyone (sorry to get sad but it is a very difficult time for me and I am sure I am a lot better off than some others out there) I look forward to any replies :-)

Hi,

I am truly sorry that you are going through this at the moment. Hopefully your circumstances will improve.

While there is no requirement for you to give MBNA any financial info, it can be useful to do so but in writing only.

As to the phone call, I would make a transcript of the call (you can't use the actual recording unless you informed them they were being recorded), make a formal complaint to MBNA, Trading Standards and the Information Commissioner offering a copy of the transcript should they require it.

If you feel the phone calls are getting too much, you can send a letter to stop them calling

Did you do the CCA request in writing?

Once you get a reply, post up the agreement and let the experts have a look

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Firstly dont tell them anything about your finances, they have no right at all to that information. Well done for recording the call, I would now report them to the office of fair trading, the FOS and the Data Commisioners office. I trust that you sent in your CCA request recorded delivery so once the 12+2 days are up then send them the dispute letter found in the templates section of this website.

Thanks Woody and Silverfox for your replies, I sent the request off for the cca by recorded delivery with a one pound postal order, please could you also help me with a cca I have recived from Tesco, I posted it on here yesterday under thread: gem100 Tesco cca (I think) and as I attached the cca to the post it can be viewed, I really need to know for sure if it is enforceable, I have had some response but no one is a hundred percent sure, I would really appreciate if some one is more an expert in the field of cca's and can advise accordingly as I do not want to go the route of it not being enforceable when it is, look forward to your replies.

Your income is just that YOURS. YOU decide what you can pay them, only a judge has the right to request and receive this information. Tell them, in writing, that you have used a Court Supported I & E calculator to record this information, and that you have, according to the 'Poverty Rules' of the Dept of Work and Pensions, no disposible income. As such, remind them that if they tried to enforce this alleged debt in Court, with the information you have, then a judge would, in all probability order you to pay £1 per month, assuming that they could produce an enforceable Agreement.

If they call again, just say, everything in writing, I will not enter into any conversation, and put the phone down. If they persist in calling, buy a loud whistle and blow it down the phone each time they call!

Hi Harrassed Senior, and thanks for your reply, like the whistle idea, I know I am jumping the gun a bit here, but what about the threat of them not stopping the interest unless I comply with their demands to discuss this over the phone?, I know it is best to wait and see what the cca request achieve's as until I know if it is enforceable or not then I suppose I should not worry too much about their demands, but I am concerned about the interest being added on each month as I will be fighting a losing battle, so any advice as to what to do regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Since JSA is intended to cover essential living expenses only, you have no disposable income. MBNA can therefore either freeze interest and get what you're prepared to pay or keep adding interest and get nothing.

PS Whilst your cost cutting is admirable, you can't live on 4 tins of beans and a loaf of bread forever.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

They are in no position to demand anything, much less your I/E, or" telephone interview"...what!!??...thats a new one on me.:evil:

Pay them nothing while you await the CCA, then post again on here, so that we can look at it.

How old is the MBNA account, roughly

Please note i have no legal training any advice i give comes from my own experience and from what i have learned on this site

Since JSA is intended to cover essential living expenses only, you have no disposable income. MBNA can therefore either freeze interest and get what you're prepared to pay or keep adding interest and get nothing.

PS Whilst your cost cutting is admirable, you can't live on 4 tins of beans and a loaf of bread forever.

I second that! You have to think of your health before paying these bar stewards. If they took you to court while you're on JSA they would only get £1 per month. Don't worry that they wont freeze interest, wait to see what they produce regarding your CCA request. Even if it is enforceable, at some point further down the road they may offer a full & final settlement, a percentage of your total debt.

Just take it one step at a time, remove personal info from the documents they send you using microsoft paint and post the scanned image on this forum where people can advise you.

]

Just some experience from me with MBNA:

They tried everything with me (except the telephone interview... ha) I produced I/E in writing and offered £1 for 6 months and a review.

They got all tough and said £125 per month. I decided to ask for help on here, and now they have sold produced and unenforceable agreement, invalid DN and sold the debt inside the remedy period (£13k!!!).

You are not dealing with a clever bunch here and the Cagger's have a wealth of info, help and support that outways the so called institution.

Unemployement is not a crime and MBNA are not the judge and jury. You are protected by the law and usually MBNA's non compliance of it.

I'll help where i can, i'll keep an eye out for your requests but do me a favour... a loaf and 4 tins of beans?? You need to speak to someone mate.

Citizens Advice to make sure you benefits are right and maybe thats the start of the improvement for your situation.

Hi all, thankyou so much for your replies, they do cheer me up, really mad woman just to let you know that I have decided to have a more varied diet, and I now alternate the beans with spaghetti hoops so life is now more enjoyable. MBNA said they had sent me something on the 2nd of September but were not sure what, I have received nothing to date, the card is at least six years old could be more, as was Abbey before and that is who I signed with, so I wait and see, I have had Tesco's cca and to date still have not had any confirmation on here if it is enforceable or not, it has been suggested that as there was no option to cancel (as was done through the post) then it might not be, but it is a 2004 agreement, will post it here again later today as I have to download it again, but I posted it on thread: gem-100 Tesco CCA a few days ago, so I will be on here again later today to post it again on this thread, once again thanks to you guys, it is really appreciated that you offer your help, guidance and cheery words of reassurance :-)

Just a bit of support here, hope you don't mind. Have you worked out your own I & E. You have to put yourself first. If you are on Benefits, then you are at Poverty Level. This means in effect, that you have no 'disposible' income and as such can make no payments towards any debts other than your priority bills (Mortgage/Rent: Council Tax: FOOD/an living expenses.

You should not be offering and/or paying anyone else more than £1 per month.

Most of the DCAs will try and play on your conscience that you owe the debt/spent the money/went on holiday etc. so you MUST pay what they think you owe. Do not let that concern you, a change in circumstances does not make you a bad person, and if they (the DCAs) took a look at themselves, they would find that they are beneath contempt and have no rights at all to sit in Judgement of fellow Humans Beings (I use that term loosly when applying it to DCAs).

soapbox.gif

Hi all, have been busy investigating further as I know if I have to challenge anything I and lost, then I would not be able to cover any costs, so have been looking to see if I should seek legal advice regarding my Tesco agreement and then found this: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/credit-and-loans/credit-cards/article.html?in_article_id=496875&in_page_id=53936

it looks like the courts are now not being sympathetic about missing/rejigged agreements, it looks like things are more difficult than I thought in this process so was wondering if there is any no win no fee help out there that could look at my agreements without charging me hugh sums of money for doing so only to find they are [causing problems] me, as another report have read just now has stated, it has been found that some 1500 firms are offering help, charging fees of 1k plus, only for the claiment to find that down the line they are still to pay the outstanding debt, plus being out of pocket to the adviser, any thoughts on this I would really appreciate, I know that at the very least so long as I keep them informed and keep paying the only amount I can afford then I should be ok, but what I dont want to find down the line is that I have challenged these companies only to find I am deeper in debt and that they could then prob take my house, help!

The Carey case has clarified that the court has the power to declare whether there has or hasn’t been a breach of section 78 and each case will be considered on its own facts. It has clarified that a mere breach of section 78 will not of itself create an unfair relationship but that is not to say that such a breach is never going to be capable of creating an unfair relationship.

The emphasis in the Carey case on section 78 appears to have obscured the real claim that exists under section 61(1)(a) and 127(3) of the Act. These sections dictate that a creditor must be able to produce a signed document (not necessarily the credit agreement) that contains the prescribed terms. The document must include the credit limit, the interest rate and details of how and when a debtor is to discharge his payment obligations. A failure to produce such a document is still capable of rendering the agreement irredeemably unenforceable.

In addition the case of McGuffick v RBS [2009] EWHC 2386 may have also put many debtors off the idea of challenging their agreements. It’s true that this case has confirmed that enforcement does not include normal collection activities such as reporting to the credit reference agencies or even issuing court proceedings.

However consumers should remember that should a creditor issue court proceedings against them, without first locating a signed document, they would have a defence to that action. Without a signed document the creditor will have to convince the court that on balance a document signed by the consumer containing the prescribed terms would have been produced at the time of execution. The onus is on them to prove this.

Hi Cerberusalert, thankyou for your reply, I have posted my Tesco agreement on here and have been told that it is in order, and also been told that as I signed it at home, there should have been a cooling off period in the agreement, I will scan it here and if anyone could guide as to if it is enforceable or not I would very much appreciate the help, I look forward to any replies.

IMG.pdf

See page 6 3. Consumer Credit (Cancellation...cuments) Regulations 1983..pdf

I'm not 100% certain but normally that agreement would not be covered by CCA 1974 because it was over £25K, however because they've added into the header that it is then CCA 1974 can be applied. No doubt someone will be able to confirm.

Thanks for the reply, I was told that as it was just 25k and not over, that it would be covered by the act, I really do not understand enough to know for sure though if the agreement itself is enforceable even by reading through the criteria, so still need expert guidance I guess?

Hi Creditcardmug, thanks for your reply, can you please elaborate? I have been told several things on here you see, that the t & c's have to be on the same page I have signed, that there is no option to cancel as was signed at home, so would like to know what your comments are as would be most helpful.

The T&Cs don't have to be on the same page, but they should make up part of the agreement. Often T&Cs run to at least a couple of pages. There is usually a statement about a "cooling off period" of around two weeks, but I don't think that's a requirement.

If you've submitted a CCA request, then you need to make sure that not only the Credit Agreement is compliant, but that all other aspects of the request have also been fulfilled.

Guest Cartaphilus

Okay, well I am getting seriously confused - not hard these days TBH - about this because I have read an awful lot about 'the four corners' rule and that it all had to be within the same page. From posts here and from MSE.

It has been said that they KEY terms should be within the 4 corners of the document. Additional T's&C's can be in a separate document

The KEY terms

APR

Credit limit (or a statement saying one will be set)

Repayment terms

Cancellation rights (dependant on the type of agreement)

Edited by silverfox1961
ye gods, I can't spell :)

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE