30 days notice to cancel mobile contract but end date in 18 days...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4615 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

24 months is the "minimum term" is is not a 24 month contract. I believe you can send a letter on the 23rd month giving the 30 days notice to cancel the contract so that it ends on the 24th month.

I've signed a two year contract, an agreement for two years and no longer. Of course if I want to leave before that two years is up then 30 days notice and payment of the remaining TWO YEARS worth of charges would be due. All I'm saying is, why should I have to cancel something that is a fixed length and has a natural conclusion? At the end of two years I'd expect my phone service to end unless I'd told them I'd like it to continue. I will cancel my direct debit on the last day of my contract and cease using my phone.

Still can't see any mention of being charged by vodafone beyond the two year long contract I'd agreed to enter with them. My obligation is to pay 24 x the monthly charge and not a penny more.

And surely minimum term means as I said above, I'm obliged under the contract to pay a minimum of 24 months.

I dispute the fact that I have to 'opt out' of this roll over charging when I never opted in in the first place. In my case I would have to contact vodafone on Christmas day to cancel a contract that is due to end anyway on jan 25th.

If I forget or am unable to do this I will be charged for another month. I still can't see anything in the T&C's about this.

And surely minimum term means as I said above, I'm obliged under the contract to pay a minimum of 24 months. Exactly. 24 is the minimum, however you can continue as long as you like

I dispute the fact that I have to 'opt out' of this roll over charging when I never opted in in the first place. It's part of the standard contract, "24 month minimum term" means you must pay for 24 months minimum, there is no maximum or fixed length In my case I would have to contact vodafone on Christmas day to cancel a contract that is due to end anyway on jan 25th. That's unfortunate timing! Will you be wanting to take your mobile number to your new provider? I'm sure Lee will post back how best to do this to incurr as little charge as possible.

If I forget or am unable to do this I will be charged for another month. I still can't see anything in the T&C's about this. You can set a reminder using something like www.google.com/calendar

Hope that helps. I'm sure Lee will give you a more comprehensive reply when he gets online :)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Hope that helps. I'm sure Lee will give you a more comprehensive reply when he gets online :)

Many thanks locutus. Good info.

I still maintain that there is no mention of having to give notice for a contract ending in the vodafone T&C's. Perhaps Lee could point out to me exactly where this is mentioned.

I spoke to vodafone customer services at length about this and eventually the customer service guy had to agree with me - no mention of this obligation anywhere in the T&C's.

He actually advised me no action would be necessary on my part - my contract will end and my service disconnected (as it should) on 25th Jan. I will cancel my DD and destroy the sim on that date. £20 says I'll get another bill in feb.

Another thing in the contract is that telecoms companies report to credit reference agencies, so cancelling your DD and not paying your bill would result in your credit rating going down, so you really need to be on top of this,

Telecoms billing is hard to get your head around sometimes, you pay your contract amount in advance, but call charges in arrears, so after the 25th of January there may be some charges (especially if you call any 0845 numbers etc that don't come out of your bundled allowance)

Follow this to get in touch with the webteam

Hi CAGlink31.gif members,

We thought it would be nice to introduce ourselves and to assure you all that our presence on CAGlink31.gif is with the very best of intentions.

vodafonelink3.gif UK has recently introduced a dedicated Web Relations Team which is keen to seek out customers who’re having difficulties with their accounts and feel that they have no other place to turn to than CAG and other consumer forums and blogs.

Naturally, it’s not possible for us to help directly with account specific queries on CAG and as such we would encourage those members who feel we can help them to contact us privately and securely using the ‘Contact us’ form on the Vodafone website with your account details.

https://help.vodafone.co.uk/system/s...PARTITION_ID=1

When emailing us we would also ask that you either provide us with a link to your post or thread – if you’ve posted in another member’s thread please also provide your CAG username so that we can check what your query is – and state the code WRT135 within the body of your email to make sure it comes through to us.As soon as we’ve received your email we’ll endeavour to get back to you as quickly as possible.

Many thanks

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK.

CAG members contacting us, add the code WRT135 in the subject line in order ensure that email gets routed into our queue.

In fairness I'm not sure how rigid the "30 days notice" is, and weather it is 30 days minimum... Maybe the person you spoke to has actioned this so that on 25th January your contract will end. I'd just like to be safe and double check that Lee can confirm this.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

And surely minimum term means as I said above, I'm obliged under the contract to pay a minimum of 24 months.

I dispute the fact that I have to 'opt out' of this roll over charging when I never opted in in the first place. In my case I would have to contact vodafone on Christmas day to cancel a contract that is due to end anyway on jan 25th.

If I forget or am unable to do this I will be charged for another month. I still can't see anything in the T&C's about this.

Hi Red313,

Thanks for raising this with me.

In addition to the helpful guidance provided by locutus I'd add that our pay monthly agreements are subject to minimum contractual commitments. This is disclosed in the terminology section of our pay monthly Terms and Conditions (T&C's) here (Section 1).

In regard to ending the agreement Section 11 of the T&C's covers this off and as locutus rightly points out the process doesn't require the customer to submit their notice exactly thirty days from when their minimum contractual commitment is due to be fulfilled.

I spoke to vodafone customer services at length about this and eventually the customer service guy had to agree with me - no mention of this obligation anywhere in the T&C's.

He actually advised me no action would be necessary on my part - my contract will end and my service disconnected (as it should) on 25th Jan. I will cancel my DD and destroy the sim on that date. £20 says I'll get another bill in feb.

I'm afraid this advice is incorrect and so firstly please accept my apologies for this. Secondly, could you email me by following the contact information which locutus posted above so I can get this addressed internally?

Once you've sent it you'll be sent an automated reply with a reference number. To enable me to ensure that it reaches us could you update the thread with the reference number and I'll come back to you as soon as I can?

For clarification, destroying the SIM and cancelling your Direct Debit won't actually cancel your account and so further bills would be issued. As such, it is important that the cancellation is handled correctly to prevent complications further along the line.

While I'm here, could I ask you why you're looking to leave us? If you'd like to include these details in your email I'll happily take a closer look at any other concerns you may have?

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK