Nat West Card Services asking for signature

gettingsorted
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5001 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi sent a SAR request to Nat West Card Services at the beginning of July (we are probably at the edge of the 40 days by now) and received a letter today saying that they can't action it as the letter was unsigned ? Is this right - I thought I read somewhere here that the SAR did not need to have a signature ? Could someone please confirm or not and perhaps point me in the right direction towards a suitable reply.

Thank you

You would be better off just complying with the signature. The 40 days does not start until they are satisfied it is you. You could write to them telling them that they are not entitled to one, but then they would just write back refusing your demand of a SAR - Even the ICO would side with them. Just sign it and add a line or a few dots etc if you are worried, so it could be recognised if used at all in any other way.

There is no legal requirement for you to provide a signature, tell them you will collect the documents at your local branch where you will produce sufficient ID.

I agree, but a complaint to the ICO wouldn't yield any results. If NW are able to do what you suggest is one way I guess of resolving the issue.

I agree, but a complaint to the ICO wouldn't yield any results. If NW are able to do what you suggest is one way I guess of resolving the issue.

I never mentioned anything about a complaint to the ICO, and as for collecting the documents it's a tried and tested proceedure.

I never mentioned anything about a complaint to the ICO, and as for collecting the documents it's a tried and tested proceedure.

I appreciate that you never said it, but you did say, 'There is no legal requirement for you to provide a signature' - My point being was that there is no recourse or any way of enforcing that you get a SAR without complying to their demands of a signature, as you would normally turn to the ICO to do this.

Either supply the signature, or do what you say, as I wasn't aware that they would be prepared to do that.

There is legal recourse, they can be taken to court and forced to produce a SAR, it has been done in the past and will very likely be done again in the future.

Not being pedantic, but that way, it would cost you money, and time etc - And they would probably then see your signature anyway, as it would be on a witness statement.

I have read a lot of threads on here whereby people say do not sign for a SAR - Which to a degree I agree, but by not signing or providing a copy of Driving Licence etc all it leads to is the first post in this thread. If they ask for a signature, then if you provide that, there is absolutely no other excuse the OC could use for not supplying a SAR - If you have gone through the hoops to satisfy them that you are who you say you are, then a complaint to the ICO would work for you.

In reality, by not complying, all you are doing is giving them more time, or wasting your own time and monies writing or arguing the toss with them re the legalities of providing or not providing a signature. As long as you mark it with a line or some dots, then the chances of them succesfully using that (as in photoshopping etc) are greatly reduced, as that is what people think would happen by providing the signature anyway.