am I being bullied?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5046 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was made redundant last year and only managed to find full time employment in April this year. So I had lost a lot of confidence, not that I have ever really had much and i am taking anti-depressants!

The new job is in a laboratory, I have over 20 years experience of working in labs and am highly qualified.

But when i started the new job, the person training me was not very helpful or friendly towards me. She did not let me do very much hands on work, when i did she told me i was doing it all wrong even though i know, due to my experience that i was not, i was made to just watch what she did for 6 weeks. I have a masters degree in science and she doesn't have any science qualifications but she was talking to me as if I was stupid. When I started to do things she would shout and swear.

I asked my line manager if i could be moved into another team because i wasn't learning anything and the trainer was being hostile towards me. I was moved and so felt a lot happier. I have since learned other techniques with no problems. I found out that the person who I had trouble with wants the job for herself so doesn't want me to learn how to do it. Unfortunatley we now alternate between that job, she does one week and me the next. This has made me very nervous and i still don't feel as if i know enough about the job and so i make mistakes. She checks up on everything i do and picks on the mistakes which are usually small insignificant things. I have never made any big mistakes. I told my line manager that i'm still not happy but she said this person picks on everyone and not just me. So there is not a lot she can do, as the manager doesn't want to know.

I feel like i'm back at school again, my colleuges say she is treating me differently and that she sees me as an easy target, maybe because i am new.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm really upset and because of my comfidence issue i feel very stressed. I know this person has called me names and tries to discredit my work. My depression is getting worse and i think i'm going to end up on sick leave. I am already looking for another job but until I get one my work life is like hell!!

What can I do?

The new job is in a laboratory, I have over 20 years experience of working in labs and am highly qualified.

I have a masters degree in science and she doesn't have any science qualifications but she was talking to me as if I was stupid.

i still don't feel as if i know enough about the job and so i make mistakes.

She checks up on everything i do and picks on the mistakes which are usually small insignificant things.

I have never made any big mistakes.

I feel like i'm back at school again

my colleuges say she is treating me differently and that she sees me as an easy target, maybe because i am new.

?

You won,t like this BUT could it be YOUR attitude towords being taught something new that is the problem?

wheresmyhairgone is thinking what I thought. There are some discrepancies in what you're saying. You're not an expert at the job science degree or not, but she might be being nasty to you,we don't know . Say to her that you feel like she's being nasty and see what she says. Maybe she doesn't know you feel like that. Maybe coz you're depressed and not feeling confident you are more sensitive which is understandable so have a word with her. If she is a bully then either stand up to her or report her to the top boss. Good luck I hope you feel better soon and don't go off sick or you'll make yourself worse.X

She doesn't need to be shouting at you unless you're about to do something incorrectly and you are on the other side of the room and she shouldn't swear at you so tell her there's no need to swear at you! Stand up for yourself!

How do you know she's calling you names and trying to discredit your work? Names like what?If someone has told you she's calling you names they may be just stirring. You might be paranoid that she's calling you names. Don't focus on her now that you work alternate weeks. Just focus on learning your job and make friends with other people and you'll get more confident all the time.

This is an attitude issue and either ways if she is picking on everyone your boss must take action. If your boss will not take any action then talk to other people whom she bullied and take it to a higher management or HR perhaps.

Check this site out... It has a topic about a work bully maybe it may help you and give you a good idea on how to work your way around it

http://exfudzworkfrustrations.blogspot.com/2009/11/bully.html

One message I get here is that do your best at work so that there is nothing she can throw at you.