style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5024 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all I'm having probs with my deposit.

The LL is saying they had to spend £1000 on the house. This seems far too high.

So I have the following questions and would appreciate some help.

1. Do the company who did the inventory have to come back to do the leaving assessment? We thought this would happen but they are saying this is not the case.

2. As our checkout day was a Sunday the letting agents could not meet us at the property, so they told us to leave the keys. The Landlord lives locally and could have meet us there I'm sure. So does anyone have a duty to do a change over?

3. Some of the problems in the house that we are being charged for were reported in the 6 monthly inspection i.e damp caused by a blocked gutter that was never cleared. So I'm I entitled to a copy of these reports? The letting agent wasn't sure and he certain made it clear he didn't want me to have them.

4. We only heard that this work was being done after I called up to see what was happening to the deposit (3 weeks post tenancy end). I asked why I was not informed preciously, that all of this work was being done. The letting agent said there was no duty to inform me.

5. Does the LL have a duty to get quotes for the work done?

6. A payment has also come out of our account for rent since we vacated. I know we should have cancelled the Direct Debt (bangs head). However, should they have stopped the DD their end?

We are very upset that this has all happened. It was difficult enough having to move so the LL could sell the house and now all this :(

Help would be so appreciated.

In regards to your deposit, can you confirm when your tenancy started, and when it ended please? Tenancy agreements that started, or were renewed, after April 07, are subject to deposit protection laws. This means it should be protected in one of 3 government schemes. These schemes have a dispute service so that a LL/agent cant take unfair deductions from a tenants deposit.

Your DD for the rent, so long as it is a DD, and not a standing order, can be recalled by your bank. Ask them to raise and indemnity claim stating that it should have been cancelled and that it is an overpayment. It may take a couple of days but they should then return the money back to your account without you having to argue with the agents.

Many Thanks for the reply. The Tenancy started after Apr 07. And I have checked it is in a deposit scheme.

I thought that the inventory people protect the deposit and carry out the inspections to see if you get it back? Is this right?

It is always ultimately up to the LL to make sure the deposit is protected, occasionally it will be written into the contract with the letting agent, that the agent protects it on their behalf.The company who does the inspections wouldn't normally have anything to do with this.

If you know which scheme your deposit is with then be sure to raise up a dispute, but before doing so ask for certain details from the agent.

You are entitled to a list of all the deductions due to be made from your deposit, this should be a full breakdown of exactly where each penny is going. This will help you form your dispute, however you have mentioned that there was some damp from blocked gutters. Be sure to check your tenancy agreement regarding this, as most say that its up to the tenant to keep all drains and gutters clear.

The LL doesn't have to get quotes, they can accept the first quote that is given to them, however that doesn't mean the cost can be unreasonable. If you were to get quotes for the same job, and they differed by an unreasonable amount then you can definitely challenge the charge.