Tax Credit Query

raec.1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5048 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Can anyone confirm if the information given by the tax credit helpline is correct?

Last year I claimed ESA from May to November and when I found part time work (20 hours) claimed working tax credit disability element only, as I have no children.

From the 9th November 2009 to 28th February I was employed and then dismissed at the end of my trial period.

I have continued to search for work since and have now found another part time job. I contacted the helpline again to ask them to forward another claim form and was advised that I was no longer eligable to claim working tax credits. The reason being I claimed JSA instead of ESA.

The reason why I claimed JSA instead of ESA was because my doctor had received a letter from the DWP, after my medical stating that I no longer required sick notes and hence would not issue me with one.

The disability is still there and hasnt gone away and no change in my health. The lady explained that I would only be eligable to continue therefore, if I had reclaimed within six months from my last ESA claim which ended on the 8th November or I resumed claiming ESA.

I have no reason to doubt the lady but just need some confirmation as I shall have to decline the part time job, which is such a shame as I desperately need to return to work, for the company, which I enjoy. As when stuck at home the only contact with the outside world is when job hunting, arranging interviews, interviews and the fortnighly trip to the Job Centre Plus.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Yes the advisor you spoke to was correct. For you to claim WTC (working tax credit) you would need to be working at least 30 hrs per week OR working 16-29 hrs and disabled ie: receiving/recently received a sickness benefit like ESA.

Im afraid JSA doesnt count as a 'sickness benefit'. So you would no longer be classed as being disabled and would need to work 30hrs min per week. :sad:

If you started to received Disability Living Allowance, you would be classed as disabled...have you tried applying for this?

A x